Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky sports red button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sky sports red button

Old 30-04-2011, 22:45   #811
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: sky sports red button

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Indeed but I wonder why they have done so.
There's loads of new hardware and software required to deliver SSRB, and although it has been well tested in labs, you can never be sure it will all work in real life. A soft launch minimises the impact if something does go wrong.

Imagine the fuss there would have been here if a big launch had been announced then it hadn't worked.

Quote:
I am not imagining it but there really are 14 streams alive and kicking right now. What are they showing?
Probably nothing at the moment. They are there ready for when Sky want to use them.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2011, 22:50   #812
arkwright23
Inactive

Services: VIP package
arkwright23 is an unknown quantity at this point

No red button for match choice, so BBC match of the day again.
arkwright23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 23:00   #813
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
At the moment it would be inaccurate to describe the red button as "launched", more like "being trialled" with a few random, alternative sports events being covered.
That's the way I see it, and why its being described as a "soft launch". Sky have never written a proper red button app for VM's platform so they're using it sporadically initially to see what works and what doesn't. Once they have any maor kinks ironed out it'll probably be used more frequently. I would imagine a similar thing will happen when they start to write the TiVo version of the app. Same with the BBC red button functionality - I think it will build up in small chunks, probably with alternate video streams being a priority as they seem to be what people are complaining about the most.

EDIT: And I see spiderplant has said pretty much the same a couple of posts up.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 23:25   #814
gers
Inactive

gers can only hope to improve

No RB in glasgow for match choice
gers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 23:50   #815
andrew.shearman
Inactive

andrew.shearman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkwright23 View Post
No red button for match choice, so BBC match of the day again.
match of the day for me to no match choice shame
andrew.shearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:11   #816
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Angry Re: sky sports red button

Quote:
Agreed, for me at least.

I think this is down to VM and it could be for any manner of reasons.

I doubt it's Ruperts fault this time. He has provided 15 HD channels AND red button in the last 12 months so the old chestnut of Sky witholding content is starting to wear a bit thin with me.
Yes we cannot blame Sky for eveything as sometimes we have to hold Virgin to account and ask them questions which half the time they don,t seem to answer or are very vague in their press releases and communication.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:26   #817
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfc1902 View Post
Football First - Game of the day.
(as it has for the last 6 years!)
so you dont get match choice on that one?
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13   #818
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodash View Post
so you dont get match choice on that one?
They show the main game on a linear channel at around 8.25, then at 10.15 match choice is available.

It must be down to rights that they start at 1015 as when I had BT they didn't make match choice available until around the same time (it was their own version though and nothing to do with Sky Sports, I don't think they have the rights to this anymore and it didn't include any games that had been shown live on Sky, games shown live on ESPN were available but not for a day or so, in fact I think these games are still available on BT but obviously they are a bit thin on the ground).
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03   #819
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I have a feeling you will get that game.

A bit of publicity wouldn't go a miss though but it's early days and it's obviously a pretty 'soft' launch. Maybe they are being cautious publicising red button events so not to rub Tivo customers noses in it.

Let's face it for such a genuinely major new service launching it was low key to say the least but it's launched which is the most important thing.

I'm really quite impressed at VM getting it. It isn't often I overly praise Virgin but I wouldn't underestimate it's importance. The sports offer wasn't good enough without it, in my opinion.

What Sky do to counteract it is anyones guess though, if and when News Corp get Sky I expect the gloves will be off once again, they seem to be being too nice for me (maybe to keep the regulators sweet)
I don't think if counts anymore

http://business.scotsman.com/busines...ase.6760353.jp
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:45   #820
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

All this red button on demand is rubbish, i wont be happy till i can watch Todays 2 pm kick off between Arsenal and ManU at 10pm the previous night, i mean c'mon with all the technology available.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54   #821
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by damac View Post
all this red button on demand is rubbish, i wont be happy till i can watch todays 2 pm kick off between arsenal and manu at 10pm the previous night, i mean c'mon with all the technology available.
lol :d
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05   #822
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Oh I retract my well done to Virgin post for the launch of red button. Judging by posts on here it hasn't launched for match choice or during live premiership games for stats etc. Therefore in my mind it ain't launched at all
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11   #823
greyposter
Inactive

Services: Tivio500
greyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nice

Watch Dr Who.
greyposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28   #824
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyposter View Post
Watch Dr Who.

Not really my thing
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37   #825
greyposter
Inactive

Services: Tivio500
greyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nicegreyposter is just really nice

See your point.
greyposter is offline   Reply With Quote