Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wanted: Super Duper Beefy Awesome Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wanted: Super Duper Beefy Awesome Router

Old 06-12-2010, 21:43   #1
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road
Wanted: Super Duper Beefy Awesome Router

Evenin' All!

I've decided its time to stop Googling and start asking! I've been suffering crummy Netgear, D-Link, Belkin and Linksys routers for years now. I've got a box of about 20 in the loft, all of which either gave crap signal, wouldnt work or were unreliable.

To give you an idea of my network, take a look at the pic I posted in another thread a few weeks ago: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3...01017at120.png

I've currently got a 'homeplug' setup (Connected via Cat5e to router01 then via Cat5e to router 02) which *seems* to be working fairly well. However the rest of the house is still suffering from connection problems.

Interestingly, every Windows 7 computer we have has the most trouble connecting, whilst all the Macs connect fine and have been very stable. The Win7's always suffer 'error connecting to network' or 'limited network connectivity'.

In addition _EVERY_SINGLE_CHANNEL_ is in use around my area! I regularly run a wireless sniffer to pick up on any free channels, there are zero.

So, I'm now in need of an alternative to standard wireless (Wired is not an option unfortunately) or possibly something that can boost the signal HUGELY and with any luck prevent, what seems to be signal interference from everyone else in the area.

I can safely say that a standard home router is out of the question - they all seem to suck for anything more than a couple of computers.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations of (for lack of a better word) 'beefy' routers? Preferably 802.11n with backwards support for 802.11g.

Thanks for your time!
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2010, 22:14   #2
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: Wanted: Super Duper Beefy Awesome Router

With lots of ap's in your local area I would opt for a router which supports 5Ghz and then upgrade the devices so they support wireless n.
I would recommend the netgear wndr3700.
Edit: are you running one of the routers as a repeater?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 23:31   #3
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL

The second router is effectively a repeater, yes. Its also a hub as the Mac Pro doesnt have a wireless card. Instead of it connecting wirelessly to 'router 1' it runs through the homeplug at around 140mbps.

I'll take a look at the WNDR3700 - although it could end up costing a HUGE amount if everything has to be upgraded to 802.11n - does it not have a second 2.5ghz 802.11g range?
Old 07-12-2010, 20:03   #4
rmwebs
Inactive

Whilst I'm waiting, any other recommendations? Ideally I want something compatible with 802.11n and 802.11g but without your standard limitations (e.g doesn't crap out with more than 10 devices connected, or if there is heavy traffic)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13   #5
rmwebs
Inactive

Surely there's more than just the one router to recommend... :/
Old 08-12-2010, 10:44   #6
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Its hard to recommend a decent router based on your scenario, as its a bit different from the normal home set up.

I'm currently using the Linksys (Cisco) WRT610N, http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WRT610N
its a simultaneous dual band router, so you could cherry pick which devices you want to have at 5Ghz Wireless N, whilst still broadcasting on a seperate channel for your "G" devices.

You can divvy out (prioritise) the bandwidth via the Qos settings to what ever appliance you want, it has Gigabit Ethernet ports I think and seems to have really decent wireless performance.

Mine copes with 2 games consoles and a couple of laptops very well, and never craps out as you call it.

I'm no expert just a typical home user, so take my advice at your own risk , but I've found this router to be the best I've ever used so far.

Its possible this may not be high enough speck'd for what you need but could be worth a look.

Ive read a couple of decent reviews of the WNDR3700 Netgear unit but never owned one myself, I,d also have a look at the Draytek stuff.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm using the WRT610N but couldn't recommend it to someone who is having wireless issues. It's great and robust wired, and indeed we've had a LAN full of computers (10+) each of which have been gaming, transferring terrabytes of data from files being leeched between users, and similar abuse for virtually 48 hours without aggro. But wireless can be flaky and I'm not even sure now that the "n" signals haven't thrown in the towel altogether.

For the type of use envisaged by the OP, I can only suggest true business class products rather than those aimed at home or small business users.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05   #8
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

okay heres an idea, all the devices that are N capable (the Ipad, MacbookPro, iphone if its the 4g and any of the laptops depending on how old they are they should have N cards as well) connect those to the WNR2000 you got and make sure you dont have anything G connected to it as by default it'll jump down to G. so idea give it the name "my wireless N" then connect the G router you have wired to the N (make it as ACCESS POINT) give the ssid the name "My wireless G" and connect the devices that are G only to that.

Now with the repeater go into the area with the worst network connectivity and connect that via the home plugs to the existing N network again.

Reasons for access point, you have everything in just 1 IP range so easier to configure.

questions, ages of the Mac Mini, MacPro and some of the laptops?
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 15:59   #9
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I use Airport Extreme. Not cheap but even more expensive when the VAT rises. (c. £140). From a performance perspective, this is indeed a high end router, uncluttered by a load of lights to get you agitated. (I found that hard to get used to, but Green, Amber, Flashing Amber is all you need!).

What I really liked about it was the Wireless N @ 5 GHz works simultaneously with Wireless N/G at 2.4 GHz. It also provided beteer range from the same location that the old Draytek 2910 with high gain antennae.

I use a Homeplug to drive signal round the house and then distribute onward using a Netgear GB GS108 switch. The choixe of switch turned out to be important. I gained 10 Mbps moving from an el cheapo 100 Mbps switch to the Netgear GS108.

HTH.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 20:36   #10
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

You want super-duper, get a Draytek 2820n.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 18:21   #11
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Xirrus (free WiFi monitor) will tell you the relative signal strength of your neighbours. A difference of 30dB on the same channel should not cause interference (you being 30dB stronger than your neighbour BTW).

I too live in an active area but my FVG318 Pro Netgear router handles it fine.

It's not just WiFi channel you should be aware of. 2.4GHz is a widely used band for things like CCTV and video senders which do not necessarily use an Internet protocol and therefore are not visible using such programs. For this you need a spectrum analyser (V expensive).

You may also suffer if you are on elevated ground where you pick up everything. e.g. in a high rise flat.

You could try moving your router low down on the floor to prevent this. It may take a bit of experimenting.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 10:55   #12
moony1234
Inactive

moony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the exact same issue 2 years ago.

I then made the best purchase of my gadget life: homeplugs.

I get 200mbit in all directions and have 6 homeplugs dotted around my house, they are fantastic, no more messing around with wireless.

(Ok so my router still does have dual band N and G for my iPhone and Laptop when I can't be bothered to plug it in...)
moony1234 is offline   Reply With Quote