Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky's investment in UK TV production.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky's investment in UK TV production.

Old 19-06-2012, 19:39   #1
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky's investment in UK TV production.

Not seen if mentioned on here but I feel its worthing mentioning..

Has anyone noticed the amount of money Sky is ploughing into the UK tv industry? With brand new drama/comedy made in the UK.

They are making some fantastic shows whilst creating and supporting UK jobs, surely this should be applauded? They are also about to start pumping £millions in the UK film industry.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2012, 19:43   #2
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Re: Sky's investment in UK TV production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
Not seen if mentioned on here but I feel its worthing mentioning..

Has anyone noticed the amount of money Sky is ploughing into the UK tv industry? With brand new drama/comedy made in the UK.

They are making some fantastic shows whilst creating and supporting UK jobs, surely this should be applauded? They are also about to start pumping £millions in the UK film industry.
No, didn't notice. But that might be because the content being provided doesn't attract me (am i more discerning viewer?..don't know, don't care )
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 19:52   #3
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
No, didn't notice. But that might be because the content being provided doesn't attract me (am i more discerning viewer?..don't know, don't care )
It doesn't matter whether or not you watch it, what matter is they are putting money into the UK film/tv industry.
Old 19-06-2012, 19:59   #4
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether or not you watch it, what matter is they are putting money into the UK film/tv industry.
But you mentioned that they were, if i don't watch it..it means they are not investing in material i like.

BBC does lovely costumed dramas by all accounts, but means nothing to me.

Channel 4 does reality tv...equally meaningless.

I guess it depends on what you like,,to whether money is well spent.
Old 19-06-2012, 20:12   #5
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
But you mentioned that they were, if i don't watch it..it means they are not investing in material i like.

BBC does lovely costumed dramas by all accounts, but means nothing to me.

Channel 4 does reality tv...equally meaningless.

I guess it depends on what you like,,to whether money is well spent.
Well my TV viewing involves sports sports and more sports but its still good to see Sky pumping over £100million into UK tv and film instead of just taking the easy route and buying in US Drama's
Old 19-06-2012, 20:14   #6
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Well my TV viewing involves sports sports and more sports but its still good to see Sky pumping over £100million into UK tv and film instead of just taking the easy route and buying in US Drama's
Ahhhh. I like US dramas
Old 19-06-2012, 20:17   #7
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Ahhhh. I like US dramas
So do a lot of people, doesn't mean we should write off the UK tv an film industry and spend money buying more and more American shows. Get some culture and try new things.
Old 19-06-2012, 20:22   #8
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
So do a lot of people, doesn't mean we should write off the UK tv an film industry and spend money buying more and more American shows. Get some culture and try new things.
I disagree. I don't think that just because it is made in UK, it is more cultured than american shows (or any country). I have seen some really poor shows made here. (Gervais effect most recent)

If i want culture and more importantly entertainment, on foreign shores I would seek.

But maybe it is potato tomato etc. Vive la difference (oops..i am now going to other shores for my cultured response )
Old 19-06-2012, 20:26   #9
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Agreed, I like some stuff but its been on-going for some time now by a range of different sources.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 21:59   #10
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

I watch lots of Sky UK shows. I loved Stella, Cafe, Spy and right now I'm watching Starlings.

Would be lying if I didn't say I appreciate Sky's investment in US tv. Atlantic is amazing. Borgias, Blue Bloods, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire etc are all shows I have loved to watch. But I always love watching UK shows even if its not new and just off GOLD.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 10:20   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
I watch lots of Sky UK shows. I loved Stella, Cafe, Spy and right now I'm watching Starlings.

Would be lying if I didn't say I appreciate Sky's investment in US tv. Atlantic is amazing. Borgias, Blue Bloods, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire etc are all shows I have loved to watch. But I always love watching UK shows even if its not new and just off GOLD.
Don't know about you but we've found we're watching more and more off the Sky channels these days , it makes a refreshing change to not have constant US content. I think Sky1/Sky Atlantic now provide the right mix between English/US content.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 10:29   #12
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Don't know about you but we've found we're watching more and more off the Sky channels these days , it makes a refreshing change to not have constant US content. I think Sky1/Sky Atlantic now provide the right mix between English/US content.
I have found exactly the same. For quality IMO Atlantic is probably the best of the bunch but until recently it was a bit too 'ctitically acclaimed' for me meaning I watch great shows but they seem to be all too serious and full on. But with changes recently there are some excellent comedy and light hearted shows coming through on Atlantic and other channels.

A couple of years ago the only Sky channel I would have watched is Sports and got my entertainment from non Sky channels. But now virtually everything I watch is from a Sky channel.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:26   #13
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I have tried watching some of Sky1's UK programming and not liked any of it so far. Oh,, except Bedlam. That's okay. Only just getting into that though
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:35   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I have tried watching some of Sky1's UK programming and not liked any of it so far. Oh,, except Bedlam. That's okay. Only just getting into that though
Each to their own Carl , I can't say every show I've watched from Sky has been a hit however we enjoyed Bedlam , Strike Back/SB PD , Stella , Hit and Miss , The bachelor king with David Attenborough , Mad Dogs plus a few more.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:39   #15
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

Ignore.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote