Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SkySports F1 and my big mistake, What a load of crap!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SkySports F1 and my big mistake, What a load of crap!

Old 10-06-2012, 18:34   #1
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point
SkySports F1 and my big mistake, What a load of crap!

So,

For some reason yesterday I agreed to watch the F1 qualifying round my mates who has a set-up that receives F1 via a foreign satellite channel and sound via the radio.

NEVER AGAIN its absolutely crap compared to the hi standard I have become accustomed too watching it on SkySports F1 HD and 5.1 sound.

I have decided the quality of SSF1-HD alone is worth the monthly fee of £10.25 for the HD pack or £2.51 a week compared to the freeview solutions.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2012, 18:47   #2
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age
Re: SkySports F1 and my big mistake, What a load of crap!

I don't watch F1 but had the same experience with football. Mate of mine wanted to show off his Tring card for live EPL games and it was just terrible.

Sky is still the easiest and convenient way to watch sports. I would only both with an FTA solution when the content isn't on Sky.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:58   #3
Telly_
Permanently Banned

I agree and I also kind of wish SkySports had Euro 2012(although keeping the FTV BBC/ITV1). The F1 channel is so content rich and literally improving race to race, as a die hard F1 fan I really feel I have never had it so good.
Old 10-06-2012, 20:04   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

As a die hard F1 fan I'm very surprised that you;ve not noticed that the race footage is exactly the same no matter if it's on sky, bbc, rtl or any other channel.. It's all filmed by the F1 production crew and it's only the commentary with some graphics that are different from channel to channel.

Begs the question are you actually watching the racing or dreaming over the commentary/graphics

Personally when on FTA I don't even bother with the english commentary on R5L as the racing speaks for itself and the brain soon tunes out the german
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:26   #5
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Thats fine Kymmy but right now I'm on board with Lewis hamilton with 7 laps to go reeling in Alonso IN HD via the red button SKY RACE CONTOL...HAVE YOU GOT THAT?

God damn I love this!!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 20:35   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
Thats fine Kymmy but right now I'm on board with Lewis hamilton with 7 laps to go reeling in Alonso IN HD via the red button SKY RACE CONTOL...HAVE YOU GOT THAT?

Sounds good, i don't have sky so i am annoyed lol
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:39   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Yep, the onboard footage is not restricted to Sky Nor is HD
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:40   #8
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Sounds good, i don't have sky so i am annoyed lol
You can currently get Sky entertainment pack with HD half price for either 6 or 12 months depending on what deal you can find. Or entertainment plus with HD for 12 or 6 months half price.

So thats either £17 or £15 for up to 12 months and you'll get F1-HD and Sky Atlantic.......tell me that's not a bargain. No need to add movies or Sky sports, although personally life without Skysports is not worth thinking about lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 20:42   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Can you have onboard footage from 1 driver the whole race?

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Quote:
You can currently get Sky entertainment pack with HD half price for either 6 or 12 months depending on what deal you can find. Or entertainment plus with HD for 12 or 6 months half price.

So thats either £17 or £15 for up to 12 months and you'll get F1-HD and Sky Atlantic.......tell me that's not a bargain lol.
The last time i costed it it cost alot more than what i pay but this is off topic.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:48   #10
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Yep, the onboard footage is not restricted to Sky Nor is HD
Oh excellent its a great feature I'm sure you'll agree.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Can you have onboard footage from 1 driver the whole race?

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

The last time i costed it it cost alot more than what i pay but this is off topic.
Yeah you can have on board for the whole race, you press red and that takes you to Sky race control which has about 6 different options. Usually a couple of drivers on board in HD, Pitlane cam, driver tracker etc etc.

You can also have racecontrol on your PC/LAPTOP/IPAD so some people actually have the man race on the main TV, then different race control options on 2 or 3 devices. I was watching the main race and had Hamilton on iPad chasing down Alonso with Alonso on my laptop trying to escape from Hamilton, Its just fantastic.
Old 10-06-2012, 20:55   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I multitasked , watched a Sky+ recording of Touch whilst following the race on the Sky Sports F1 companion app.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:07   #12
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I multitasked , watched a Sky+ recording of Touch whilst following the race on the Sky Sports F1 companion app.
It really is great isn't it, although you could of watched the race via Skygo...Ohhhh so many options
Old 12-06-2012, 04:55   #13
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Keep on selling it Telly Bear, you may just get Sky another customer or 2.
As Kymmy has said the feed is the same its the commentary that differs & everything Sky offers you at a premium can be got just as easily for free, if you have the know how.

As a 30 year F1 fan I have always had issues with coverage that wasnt on the BBC. With ITV it was the infamous ad breaks (quality commentary tho) & now, with Sky the commentary from Brundle & Crofty is great (as you would expect as both came from the BBC) with in-race bits from Kravitz (again BBC) but that numpty Lazenby knows diddly about F1 and that really irks me, he is a monotonic plonker who only manages to just read a script. I may not subscribe to Sky but I do watch the feed for FP, qually & race when its not live on the BBC, so my comments on Lazenby are not from just hearsay.

So while you may be happy with having to pay for your F1 feed remember this. Quantity & Quality are not one in the same and whilst you may be getting a little more from Sky (compared to what the BBC gave\give us) in the quantity stakes, due to Lazenby & 1 other (Georgie Thompson) the quality is bobbing quite close to the bottom of the toilet bowl!
Race weekends are so much better when its on the BBC.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33   #14
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Keep on selling it Telly Bear, you may just get Sky another customer or 2.
As Kymmy has said the feed is the same its the commentary that differs & everything Sky offers you at a premium can be got just as easily for free, if you have the know how.

As a 30 year F1 fan I have always had issues with coverage that wasnt on the BBC. With ITV it was the infamous ad breaks (quality commentary tho) & now, with Sky the commentary from Brundle & Crofty is great (as you would expect as both came from the BBC) with in-race bits from Kravitz (again BBC) but that numpty Lazenby knows diddly about F1 and that really irks me, he is a monotonic plonker who only manages to just read a script. I may not subscribe to Sky but I do watch the feed for FP, qually & race when its not live on the BBC, so my comments on Lazenby are not from just hearsay.

So while you may be happy with having to pay for your F1 feed remember this. Quantity & Quality are not one in the same and whilst you may be getting a little more from Sky (compared to what the BBC gave\give us) in the quantity stakes, due to Lazenby & 1 other (Georgie Thompson) the quality is bobbing quite close to the bottom of the toilet bowl!
Race weekends are so much better when its on the BBC.
Ok,

I still think SkysportsF1HD and Sky race control are fantastic though and choose them over the BBC coverage, but that's personal choice. I've Just become used to the indepth coverage of the race weekends and all the other F1 related content on the channel.

The fact is, you choose not to subscribe and I choose to subscribe. As for getting people to sign up to Sky I really couldn't care less although if I do ever buy shares in Sky I may change my mind.
Old 16-09-2012, 22:31   #15
pyenote
Inactive

pyenote is an unknown quantity at this point

you can only see Georgie Thompson on sky ;-)
pyenote is offline   Reply With Quote