Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 31-12-2011, 03:41   #301
knack
Inactive

knack is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Just got this up and running.. fantastic! Thanks Sn00p.

I take it VMs app will add access to on tv/music on demand menus?
knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-12-2011, 10:09   #302
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Yeah, I'm also assuming they'll be a way to use the app when you're not on your home network. At the moment it prompts you to create an account on tivo.com which is only for US TiVo boxes as far as i'm aware
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 13:46   #303
abyzz
Inactive

abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLe View Post
Well thats some read, though still no joy - can anyone shed light on why not?

Windows Vista / Ipad1

BonjourVM in "C:\tivo" running as admin, nothing in window
Tivo App from US scans finds nothing
TV Guide looks great, cant find tivo to login with "tivo" & MAK

I suspect I`m missing something obvious but brain has switched to custard

Mike

I'm having similar problems but haven't yet resolved it

I have downloaded Snoops application for win32 and tried it on 3 different computers but the Tivo doesn't show on any of them.
I have turned on remote network on the tivo box
All my PC's are running Windows 7
I have connected an ethernet cable from my Tivo to my router.
I have downloaded the 'Bonjour Browser' to my iPhone4 and I can see the Tivo box there OK
I've gone into the router and made sure that Multicast streaming is enabled

I have the Tivo App downloaded and ready to go, but I'm stumped as to why i can't find my Tivo in Snoops exe???

Anyone help?

EDIT:
Now working !
Went back into router and unchecked the DNS Relay option.

Thanks to everyone who has made this awesome app work with VM
HAPPY NEW YEAR
abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12   #304
jbrad
Inactive

jbrad is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say thanks sn00p and anybody else involved in getting this up and running.

Got the bonjour thingy running on my WHS2011 box and everything is working perfectly.

jbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 13:11   #305
richardc1983
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo XL & V+, 30MB Cable Broadband & Phone
richardc1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG this app is brilliant! Thank you so much snoop and everyone else involved
richardc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25   #306
SuperHighway
Inactive

SuperHighway is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto - way to go guys.
SuperHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:19   #307
CaptainChickenpa
Inactive

CaptainChickenpa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I finally got around to trying to get this going on my Apple TV.
The apple TV only has Python 2.5, and cannot cope with Snoops updated python scripts. Also (as far as I can see) QT is not available for AppleTV at the moment. So I have used the original Python scripts from post 166 in this thread.
I did think I had tried them previously and they didn't work. But trying them again they seem to work just fine (I suspect I didn't fill in the TSN properly). Anyway here is my guide to using your apple tv to work as the proxy.

Steps required to get the python scripts running on Apple TV

First jailbreak your apple tv following instructions here http://support.firecore.com/entries/...101-seas0npass

Because we will be using the slightly older scripts that do not auto detect the Tivo, we need to ensure that the IP addresses do not change
Now you need to make sure that your AppleTV and your Tivo Box do not change IP address. To do this you need to login to your virgin media super hub (at ip address 192.168.0.1).
Go to the advanced settings and select LAN IP
You need to add two entries to the DHCP Reservation Lease Info. Fill in the MAC address and IP address of your Apple TV in the box provided (the information for these should be available in the settings menu of the apple tv). Click add, the router will reset itself. Repeat the process for your Tivo. Make a note of the IP addresses used.

Now you need to login to your apple tv, on windows you should download an application such as putty, on mac/linux you can use the built in ssh. In putty create a connection ussing ssh, fill in the IP address of the apple tv. On mac/linux type
ssh 192.168.0.3 (replace the ip address with the one you have for the appletv)

username is root
password is alpine

Follow instructions from here for turning off automatic updates
http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=71252

You will also need to get an installation of Python onto the system

to to this type
apt-get install python

this will install python onto the system

Now you are ready to upload the python scripts (available from post 166) to your apple tv. I use filezilla.
First edit the scripts and fill in the IP addresses you made a not of earlier, as well as the TSN number and Media Access Key from your virgin box.
Now copy the site packages folder to /usr/lib/python2.5
now create a folder in /private/var/mobile/Documents/ and copy the 3 python scripts here.

in the putty window change to the folder containing the python scripts and type
python mdns-tivo-forgery.py &
This will start the server, and should allow your Ipad/iPhone to see the Tivo
hit enter and now type
disown
This will prevent the application quiting once you exit your ssh session.

Now you are setup! Quit the session and enjoy!

One final thing, you need to turn off sleep mode on the apple tv.

If you have some form of media library with network storage then I can recommend installing XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_2
CaptainChickenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:21   #308
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Thanks to sn00p and everyone else, I got in running on my WHS 2011 box and runs fine, absolutely love this app!
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:38   #309
LozW
Inactive

LozW is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChickenpa View Post
Ok, I finally got around to trying to get this going on my Apple TV. The apple TV only has Python 2.5, and cannot cope with Snoops updated python scripts. Also (as far as I can see) QT is not available for AppleTV at the moment. So I have used the original Python scripts from post 166 in this thread.

hit enter and now type disown This will prevent the application quiting once you exit your ssh session. Now you are setup! Quit the session and enjoy! One final thing, you need to turn off sleep mode on the apple tv. If you have some form of media library with network storage then I can recommend installing XBMC http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_2
This might explain why I keep needing to run the Python scripts again (on QNAP server). Have tried telneting in and running the Disown command, but I'm getting 'command not found'.
Is there a way of installing that command, or an alternative command I can use?
Also, can't see any more recent Python scripts than those on post 166 - have I missed them?
Many thanks if anyone can help on these!
LozW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 22:35   #310
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Any news on the launch date for the official VM app?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 23:07   #311
CaptainChickenpa
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LozW View Post
This might explain why I keep needing to run the Python scripts again (on QNAP server). Have tried telneting in and running the Disown command, but I'm getting 'command not found'.
Is there a way of installing that command, or an alternative command I can use?
Also, can't see any more recent Python scripts than those on post 166 - have I missed them?
Many thanks if anyone can help on these!
The disown command is part of the bash command shell (I believe) you might need to look up the equivalent command for the shell that your Nas is running, or try running a bash shell and then starting your python script from there.

The updated scripts were referrred to as fixed, however they rely on a newer version of python,so if you wish to use the, them then check the version of python you have. The ones I am using work under python 2.5 but require you to fill in IP address, the newer ones can work out the ip, but require python 2.7
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55   #312
LozW
Inactive

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using Python 2.7, but can't find Python scripts this side of post 166. Is there a newer/better version?
I can't work out why, but after a few hours or so, I need to run the Python script again. I wondered whether it was because after logging out, the Python script was terminating.
Haven't been able to get hold of disown, but have installed nohup and have now started using the command 'nohup Python tivo-forgery-py &'.
It's running ok for now, will let you know if that solves it.
Old 08-01-2012, 13:04   #313
CaptainChickenpa
Inactive

Post 195 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35339697-post195.html Has the link to the updated scripts.

It looks like the nohup command will do the same thing as disown
Old 09-01-2012, 15:56   #314
LozW
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChickenpa View Post
Post 195 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35339697-post195.html Has the link to the updated scripts.

It looks like the nohup command will do the same thing as disown
Many thanks Captain Chicken Pa!
Nohup seems to have sorted it out. Haven't had to restart the Python script since.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06   #315
1981suede
Inactive

1981suede is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to show my appreciation to both sn00p and CaptainChickenpa. got this setup on my AppleTV without any problems at all. The app is absolutely superb!
1981suede is offline   Reply With Quote