Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Devolo Homeplugs as a network option?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Devolo Homeplugs as a network option?

Old 08-10-2007, 22:45   #16
Copperfaced Jack
Inactive

Copperfaced Jack is on a distinguished roadCopperfaced Jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Devolo Homeplugs as a network option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Yes if your playing games sometimes wireless doesn't cut it. as I said in my last post.
So perhaps the best for me would be to get the gaming pc wired directly by ethernet into the BT/Bethere connection, and use homeplugs or separate longer cat 5 wire to connect the other one......?
Basically ping will matter on one computer, less so on the other.
Copperfaced Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2007, 22:57   #17
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfaced Jack View Post
So perhaps the best for me would be to get the gaming pc wired directly by ethernet into the BT/Bethere connection, and use homeplugs or separate longer cat 5 wire to connect the other one......?
Basically ping will matter on one computer, less so on the other.
Yes... Wired is always going to give the lowest possible latency.

If you worried about ping that much ask BE to turn the interleaving off but your Sync speed will probably take a hit unless you have a very good line.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 00:01   #18
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Is there really any benefit using these devices over just buying a wireless card/dongle?
I've never used them, but I'd think it is the same as using wired ethernet. It's faster than wireless, more stable and more secure. I can (occasionally) see the wireless networks of three neighbours, and I've had to experiment quite a bit to figure out the best place to site my router to get decent wireless coverage (I'm on ADSL, so can use any phone socket for the router). Even then, I find I often connect at 24Mbps rather than 54. Not a big problem, but higher speeds are nice when transferring large files. So, short answer: If your wireless coverage is patchy (and tbh, it often is with neighbours' networks, wet dogs, DECT phones and Microwaves), they sound brilliant. All the advantages of wired but without the wires. They seem a bit too pricey atm, but I'd consider them if prices drop.
Old 09-10-2007, 18:02   #19
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I've never used them, but I'd think it is the same as using wired ethernet. It's faster than wireless, more stable and more secure. I can (occasionally) see the wireless networks of three neighbours, and I've had to experiment quite a bit to figure out the best place to site my router to get decent wireless coverage (I'm on ADSL, so can use any phone socket for the router). Even then, I find I often connect at 24Mbps rather than 54. Not a big problem, but higher speeds are nice when transferring large files. So, short answer: If your wireless coverage is patchy (and tbh, it often is with neighbours' networks, wet dogs, DECT phones and Microwaves), they sound brilliant. All the advantages of wired but without the wires. They seem a bit too pricey atm, but I'd consider them if prices drop.
They do sometimes get affected by sources of mains electrical noise but i've never personally experianced it.

Only problem I had was with UPA and Home plug adaptors on the same ring main.

Obviously they do add some Latency since they have to modulate the data onto a carrier signal that can be used over the Mains without causing problems for electrical kit
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote