Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 24-05-2013, 21:12   #106
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
re: The Xbox One Thread

It would be rather restrictive if only Gold accounts could have multiple users.

Hopefully we'll get more details at E3.

Oh, and here's AnandTech's look at the Xbox One's hardware, along with a comparison to the PS4's:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/x...-playstation-4

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Similar article, from ExtremeTech:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...d-and-analyzed
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2013, 21:15   #107
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

FRom everything i have read, they're saying based on what we know so far the PS4 is 50% more powerful.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 21:24   #108
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't people say the same thing about the PS3 and 360?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 21:49   #109
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I think so yes, although these consoles are far more powerful and have very similar architecture so it may make alot of difference.

Although the Xbox1 is said to offload some of the cpu processing to the cloud, not sure if that will make a difference.
Old 24-05-2013, 22:04   #110
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

IIRC...

The PS3's CPU was more powerful than the 360's, while the 360's GPU was more powerful than the PS3's. The PS3 was initially hampered by it's "Cell" CPU being a right pain to code for, so it took time for developers (especially 3rd party devs) to really get to grips with it. EDIT Actually, on reading up on it it seems the PS3's GPU was more powerful than the 360's.

This time around...[based on the two links I posted that examined the specs]

Both the PS4 and Xbox One are using x86-64 architecture (instead of PowerPC like both the PS3 & Xbox 360) - there won't be some long learning curve like there was for the PS3 (or the 360, to a lesser extent), and also therefore perhaps won't be like this generation has been where the devs have been squeezing more and more out of each console years later.

Both have a semi-custom 64bit AMD Jaguar 8-core CPU. Draw.

Both have an AMD GCN GPU... But the Xbox One's has 768 cores (12 Compute Units) while the PS4's has 1152 cores (18 Compute Units). PS4 wins.

Both have 8GB of RAM... But the Xbox One uses 8GB of 2133MHz DDR3 while the PS4 uses 8GB of 5500MHz GDDR5. PS4 wins... Unless developers make efficient use of the nice fast 32MB eSRAM that MS has added as a way of getting around the lower memory bandwidth, in which case: Draw.

Assuming that the Xbox One's eSRAM is used effectively, then the main difference is just the GPU power, as the PS4 has 1152 cores / 18 CUs compared to the Xbox One's 768 cores / 12 CUs.

So yeah, the PS4 is more powerful... But it's not an overall 50% increase in power, it's 50% for the GPU.

Even so, the Xbox One will still be a powerful beast itself (plus also there's the possibility of cloud processing), and both consoles will be a lot more powerful than their older siblings.

And as past generations have shown, it's not always sheer power that determines the "winner"...

Anyway. I don't care which one "wins", I'll have both eventually like with this gen.

E3 should be bloody good this year... And I'm really looking forward to the Eurogamer Expo in September.
Old 25-05-2013, 04:06   #111
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I wonder what the situation is on a Silver account, i hope it is the same?
Just noticed this in the Polygon article I linked to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
"We want to make sure that you and your son both have your own account," Kilgore said, in describing the case of a father and son sharing an Xbox Live Gold membership. "We want you log in to get your stuff, and when he logs in to get his stuff. On that console, if you have Gold, he can use Gold as well."
(my bold)

Now, the way I read that, because of the "if you have Gold" part, is that it will surely also apply to Silver, rather than multi-users being a Gold-only feature... As otherwise why would he say "...if you have Gold..."?
Old 25-05-2013, 08:26   #112
Jameseh

I imagine it will work for Silver as well but there will be no benefit over individual full accounts, as Silver ha no features (assuming 'voice chat' is dropped).
Old 25-05-2013, 09:06   #113
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

I love the hype about Sony's console power like it actually stands for something.

Take a look at the Wii. Outsold both. As stated earlier in the thread whilst Sony have about 3 million more units shifted than Microsoft, this does not total the amount made via Kinect, GFWL, Xbox Live & Exclusives. If you add those into the equation I think you'll find Sony got left behind because of the Xbox 360's online dominance.

I'll go out with a theory here anyway. The only thing that's changing in this generation is you'll no longer be able to buy pre-owned games the way you used to. I think Microsoft are aiming to get as many people buying via Digital downloads as possible rendering disc usage as minimal. I will love the idea of not standing in a queue at a store at 12am waiting for the latest blockbuster. What's great is you'll still be able to trade that game in online for maybe cash, a new game etc. Like I've said it's something I wanted on steam for years but Microsoft are the ones taking the plunge at it. This way of gaming has been on PC for years via the likes of Steam/Origin. So anyone that think's the PC has it better is incorrect. Xbox One has the same... and then some.

When you look at it like I've described above, it's not as massively significant and world ending as people are making out to be.
Old 25-05-2013, 09:34   #114
Jameseh

The Wii outsold both because it was £180 from day one. The PS3 has sold less because it was out 12 month after the X360 and 18 month in Europe.
Old 25-05-2013, 09:47   #115
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Does anyone know what the refresh rate of the Xbox One will be? My TV has a refresh rate of 800htz
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 10:13   #116
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
I love the hype about Sony's console power like it actually stands for something.

When you look at it like I've described above, it's not as massively significant and world ending as people are making out to be.
It is never world ending
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 11:55   #117
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Not sure i like the sound of all this, i would like the option to turn this off, rather than having the feeling of being watched all the time, with data being sent back to Microsoft.

XboxOne said to monitor viewing habits.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...f-viewers.html
Old 25-05-2013, 14:17   #118
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

seems like they did a better job of encouraging PS4 sales than Sony did
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:30   #119
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
I imagine it will work for Silver as well but there will be no benefit over individual full accounts, as Silver ha no features (assuming 'voice chat' is dropped).
I really hope that MS revamps what you actually get for XBL Silver & Gold.

As it is at the moment, Gold is really poor value compared to PSN & PSN+.

The PS3 lets you play online multiplayer for free, the 360 requires XBL Gold.

The PS3 lets you use the web browser for free, the 360 requires XBL Gold.

The PS3 lets you use Netflix & Lovefilm & 4oD etc. etc. etc. for free, the 360 requires XBL Gold. [obviously with both you still need a Netflix/Lovefilm sub.]

I think that MS should make those things free, like they are for the PS3, and then do something like PSN+ to get people to pay extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Not sure i like the sound of all this, i would like the option to turn this off, rather than having the feeling of being watched all the time, with data being sent back to Microsoft.

XboxOne said to monitor viewing habits.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...f-viewers.html
I'm sure that MS has applied for all sorts of patents over the years. Doesn't mean that they will be implemented.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Latest on the rumours regarding pre-owned etc.:

Polygon - Xbox One games will require regular authentication checks, used games won't have a fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
The Xbox One will not require gamers to pay a fee to reactivate a used game, but it will require a regular online spot check to verify the authenticity of games being played, according to sources familiar with the system.

While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

The ultimate system that Xbox One will use for used games and online authentication sounds like it is still in open debate on some level internally, which may explain the company's reticence in more directly clarifying the matter this week. Microsoft executives have been discussing the reaction to the confused messaging surrounding used games and internet requirements and plan to detail the console's take on both sometime before E3, according to our sources.

(snip)
Old 25-05-2013, 16:51   #120
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I've been reading that the console will have to connect to the Internet once every 24 hours. What if you don't play on it for a day or you go on holiday, what happens then?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote