Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keeping your pc healthy !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Keeping your pc healthy !

Old 22-02-2004, 22:52   #16
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Keeping your pc healthy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Temporary internet Files for users - "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

HTH
That's where the cookies are stored.
The temporary internet files (your web cache) is

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\content.ie\
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2004, 23:00   #17
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
That's where the cookies are stored.
The temporary internet files (your web cache) is

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\content.ie\
Thanks m8 - Too much beer me thinks -

Thanks for all the support guys......

Anything else that is wrong or needs adding ?
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:00   #18
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
Very good advice if you have the money, its like having 3 machines in 1.
Hard drives are really cheap these days and well worth the extra little bit spent on such a system. You would die if you knew how much I paid for a 40Mb drive in the late 70s but it took some filling and the operating system CCPM was a joy to use. It's also worth spending a few quid on memory by having a minimum of 512Mb installed which is extremely cheap these days. I can remember selling 32Mb FP ram for £600 in the early 90s.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:02   #19
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
Hard drives are really cheap these days and well worth the extra little bit spent on such a system. You would die if you knew how much I paid for a 40Mb drive in the late 70s but it took some filling and the operating system CCPM was a joy to use. It's also worth spending a few quid on memory by having a minimum of 512Mb installed which is extremely cheap these days. I can remember selling 32Mb FP ram for £600 in the early 90s.
Thanks ianathuth

Watch the ram windows 98 users ! There are isues with using more than 512mb on windows 98 !
Old 22-02-2004, 23:10   #20
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

If i delete all the files in my temp folder will it affect XP and the system?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:12   #21
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNA
If i delete all the files in my temp folder will it affect XP and the system?
Some programs do store files in there. If there is anything running that needs the files it will simply tell you that the file is in use and cant be deleted.
Old 22-02-2004, 23:14   #22
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Some programs do store files in there. If there is anything running that needs the files it will simply tell you that the file is in use and cant be deleted.
...so it's best to do it at startup before anything can start putting files there which are in use.
You can't do any damage deleting files from the temp folders.
Let that be a warning to any business users who think it's a good idea to save their files in the temp folder!
Old 22-02-2004, 23:15   #23
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
...so it's best to do it at startup before anything can start putting files there which are in use.
You can't do any damage deleting files from the temp folders.
Let that be a warning to any business users who think it's a good idea to save their files in the temp folder!
I wish some of the users at work would follow your advice. I had a guy on the phone on Thursday complaining that his pc took 20+ mins to log on.... His roaming profile was 376mb in size
Old 22-02-2004, 23:18   #24
Xaccers
Inactive

Quote:
I wish some of the users at work would follow your advice. I had a guy on the phone on Thursday complaining that his pc took 20+ mins to log on.... His roaming profile was 376mb in size
I've seen bigger!
Doesn't help when My Documents isn't redirected to their home drive, so (understandably) they save all their stuff in My Documents and not their home drive.
Old 22-02-2004, 23:20   #25
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've seen bigger!
Doesn't help when My Documents isn't redirected to their home drive, so (understandably) they save all their stuff in My Documents and not their home drive.
We map all the users to the network drive for mydocuments ect... This guy was exporing outlook pst files to his temp internet folders....

Soon stoped that with a sec pol to block my computer drive access though
Old 22-02-2004, 23:43   #26
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Probably a quick a way as any to remove temporary internet files is to click "start" then "run" and type in CLEANMGR. I think that this works on all windows versions since 95.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:46   #27
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
Probably a quick a way as any to remove temporary internet files is to click "start" then "run" and type in CLEANMGR. I think that this works on all windows versions since 95.
Thanks ianathuth..... If you could write a short guide on using it I will replace the old stuff with your guide.

It is better than mine ! users cant then acidently wipe the wrong folder
Old 22-02-2004, 23:46   #28
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Can I also add something about the dangers of putting everyone you know in your outlook address book, as soon as you contract an email borne virus of some kind, you'll end up (if it's transmitted this way, and frequently they are) spreading it around everyone you know .. and a smack in the head often offends
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:47   #29
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
Can I also add something about the dangers of putting everyone you know in your outlook address book, as soon as you contract an email borne virus of some kind, you'll end up (if it's transmitted this way, and frequently they are) spreading it around everyone you know .. and a smack in the head often offends
Sage Advice.... Not often followed sadly......
Old 22-02-2004, 23:54   #30
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks ianathuth

Watch the ram windows 98 users ! There are isues with using more than 512mb on windows 98 !
The answer to which can be found Here