Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broken blackberry Curve 8250

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Blu-ray display on an SD TV?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:12   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Will Blu-ray display on an SD TV?

Will Blue ray HD DVD display in SD on a SD TV?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
re: Will Blu-ray display on an SD TV?

An SD TV will not have an HDMI, you could use a HDMI to scart/component (adapter) connector but obviously it won't be HD just whatever your TV will display.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It would help of you told us the make and model numbers of both items.. Some blueray players and some SD TV's have a component out/in
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:20   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

If you can plug them in, then yes you will get a picture

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:40   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
It would help of you told us the make and model numbers of both items.. Some blueray players and some SD TV's have a component out/in
Panasonic TV with only 2 SCART connecters and no component connection, I have not purchased the Blue Ray recorder/ player yet.

I guess I would need a HDMI to SART adaptor.
Old 02-06-2013, 15:43   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not sure of the point of buying a BluRay player if you don't have an HD TV (or is it to future-proof for when you replace your TV?).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:22   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

It's "Blu-ray", not "Blue Ray". Also, "HD DVD" is not the same thing - it was a rival HD disc format, long since obsolete.

As for whether you could connect a Blu-ray player to an SD TV...

1st off... Why would you want to?

And 2nd... It may not actually work at all, due to the copy protection in place. An HDMI to SCART adaptor (if such a thing exists and isn't stupidly expensive) would not be compatible with HDCP. You need to use HDMI (or DVI + HDCP) for the whole connection. If you don't use an HDCP compatible connection from the Blu-ray player to the TV, you may not get anything at all... If you're lucky, you may just get a downscaled SD image. I can't remember how locked down it is. EDIT: Yup, seems it will work via a non-HDCP compatible connection but it will force the image down to 480i.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:33   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Re: Will Blu-ray display on an SD TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
It's "Blu-ray", not "Blue Ray". Also, "HD DVD" is not the same thing - it was a rival HD disc format, long since obsolete.

As for whether you could connect a Blu-ray player to an SD TV...

1st off... Why would you want to?

And 2nd... It may not actually work at all, due to the copy protection in place. An HDMI to SCART adaptor (if such a thing exists and isn't stupidly expensive) would not be compatible with HDCP. You need to use HDMI (or DVI + HDCP) for the whole connection. If you don't use an HDCP compatible connection from the Blu-ray player to the TV, you may not get anything at all... If you're lucky, you may just get a downscaled SD image. I can't remember how locked down it is.
The output from the Blu-Ray player is HDMI and a HDMI to SCART converter will be required to connect it to my TV, I will eventually get a new TV with HDMI inputs but that will be when I have the money to bye one, the converters are around £40.

The reason that I am needing to replace my DVD player as that has died.

What is the copy protection got to do with what I prose to do? I am not make a copy of the Blu-Ray DVD.
Old 02-06-2013, 16:42   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Ah, future-proofing while buying a replacement player. Fair enough

Copy protection... Standard feature of Blu-ray Discs and other HD content. HDMI uses HDCP to prevent copying HD material in HD. The lack of HDCP support when using something other than HDMI forces the output down to 480i (SD)... but as you're hooking it up to an SD TV anyway this won't really affect you. As for your intentions... the studios don't know what you plan to do they just want to protect their content.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:43   #10
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

For what it will cost you to buy converters and the risk of them not working you might as well just buy a £20 DVD player from ASDA/Tesco/Argos for now and then use it in another room or give it to someone when you replace your TV and upgrade to a Blu Ray player IMO
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:46   #11
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

As DVD players are less than £40, wouldn't it be better to buy another one instead of a converter? Once you get your HD TV, then buy a Blu-ray. Overall the cost will be slightly less.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:56   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
For what it will cost you to buy converters and the risk of them not working you might as well just buy a £20 DVD player from ASDA/Tesco/Argos for now and then use it in another room or give it to someone when you replace your TV and upgrade to a Blu Ray player IMO
I agree with Ben B, don't waste your money just get a £30 DVD player then use it in another room at a later date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DVPSR17...0188625&sr=1-3
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:45   #13
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I agree with Ben B, don't waste your money just get a £30 DVD player then use it in another room at a later date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DVPSR17...0188625&sr=1-3
I should of mentioned that I need a Blu-ray HDD recorder so I can record Freeview and they are over £270, I don't need another DVD player as I am the only person in the house.
Old 02-06-2013, 17:58   #14
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Seems a lot of money, it would probably actually work out cheaper to get a Freeview+ or Top Up TV+ DVR and separate blu ray player
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:13   #15
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Seems a lot of money, it would probably actually work out cheaper to get a Freeview+ or Top Up TV+ DVR and separate blu ray player
If you're going for Freeview+HD it probably works out the same, most recorders are £200+ and a plain jane Blu-ray player is £50. I'd rather have two separate units though myself, especially for the same price.