Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Signal boosting??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Get tickled or not?

Old 08-05-2012, 18:49   #1
DrStrange
Inactive

Services: Broadband 50Mb, TV M, Phone L, SH2
DrStrange is an unknown quantity at this point
Get tickled or not?

So I got a tickle letter from VM welcoming me to the 20Mb tier after being double speed upgraded from 10Mb. The letter also says:
"We can boost you even further up to 30Mb and give you a shiny new wireless modem, for no monthly cost. There's just a one off Quick Start fee of £20. Your new modem will be the new Virgin Media Super Hub, so you could enjoy greater speeds and our fastest ever wireless connection."
So should I switch from my Ambit modem to the Shub? I already have a wireless router connecting 3 PC's wirelessly.
I like the bit where VM says "could". It sounds like they're doubtful of the Shub's capabilities?
DrStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2012, 19:19   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Get tickled or not?

If you want 30meg you will have to take a superhub.

Just put it in modem mode and keep using your router as the superhub has terrible wireless. As a router it is useless, as a modem it's passable.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:15   #3
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

In all honesty, if you're a gamer, and you don't need the speed, stay on the legacy network, if you don't game then i'd say upto you

A lot of people regretted moving over to DOCSIS 3... there's a lot of that over on the official support forums. Superhub seems to promote random significant jumps in latency.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:17   #4
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

What services do you have. If you have phone as well.
Just Phone them up. get on 150.
And they should give you.... FREE super hub, FREE install, FREE activation. But make sure the installer checks the power levels or he could be back for a second vist to fix it or you could spend <£10 to fix it your self.

Yes but its true that you will never know How many subscribers are in your area.
If 30Mb/s its over subscribed then you won't get that speed all the time.
The first Weekend after I got upgraded.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I was hit with over use of the Network but have not seen it since. but even then it was only dropped to 20Mb/s from 30Mb/s with the load.

Now I don't care when I down load. Up to 4GB allready and only 8.21pm. and its still faster than my old 10Mb/s connection.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:27   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

go for it mate. as Mike said put the SH into modem mode and link your own router.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote