Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Major TiVo Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Major TiVo Update

Old 21-06-2016, 13:45   #106
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Major TiVo update started about 3:20am.

Neither VM or TiVo can supply data they don't have - it's up to the channel providers.
Old 21-06-2016, 13:48   #107
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
That is what is being said. It is a step backwards because you cannot choose which channels you want to record from anymore, only one or all so you can no longer exclude channels with no series information and constant repeats.
Can you give me an example?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 14:00   #108
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Neither VM or TiVo can supply data they don't have - it's up to the channel providers.
So why have VM taken away functionality that will surely exacerbate the problem?
Old 21-06-2016, 14:44   #109
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed.
Old 21-06-2016, 14:50   #110
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I believe its done via a third party called Tribune.

Tribune are paid via the TiVo fee to provide quality EPG data to the VM TiVo to enable accurate recording.

IMO they should be chasing up channels for better quality metadata where neccesary as well as maintaining the EPG to a better standard overall.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 15:21   #111
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

To be fair Richard the EPG data has been wrong on Sky occasionly and that's updated directly by the broadcaster so what chance does that give to anyone else if the broadcasters can't get it correct.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 15:23   #112
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Liberty have added another metadata supplier:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...mprove-search/

Whether it replaces or works alongside existing services, I'm not sure. I think this is just for Horizon:

http://v-net.tv/2016/05/11/liberty-g...s-territories/

Last edited by Horizon; 21-06-2016 at 15:28.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 15:51   #113
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Indeed.
But Virgin Media are providing a system that depends on reliable data. If you go to a burger take away it's not acceptable to get a bap with your burger one day and not the next simply because they are supplied by a third party.

With the current Tivo software I can choose to record a program on channels A and channels B (or I can use a wishlist for all channels). After the update, I can only choose A or B or "All channels" and that might include unwanted recordings from channels C, D, E, F, etc. Channel Y might not include episode information so they will get recorded regardless. (and those are the types of channels more likely to show endless repeats of the same episode). Channel Z might be Channel Y +1 and have the same problem. All I want is channels A and B, why have Virgin taken that away from me?
Old 21-06-2016, 15:52   #114
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I believe its done via a third party called Tribune.

Tribune are paid via the TiVo fee to provide quality EPG data to the VM TiVo to enable accurate recording.

IMO they should be chasing up channels for better quality metadata where neccesary as well as maintaining the EPG to a better standard overall.
Tribune will hold metadata such as actors in a series or director or the episode synopsis.

But as far as I'm aware the channel provider is the one that then provides the data as to which episode or series is being broadcast and when, and also updates this as broadcast plans change.

This is why not all channels have data for the full two advance weeks that TiVo's EPG covers - because it's not been provided by the channel in the first place.

I'd expect that Tribune takes the channel provider's data, add it's own metadata, and turns this combined data into a format that TiVo understands - which is then downloaded every 4 hours as part of the Service connection.

Last edited by BenMcr; 21-06-2016 at 15:57.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:26   #115
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
With the current Tivo software I can choose to record a program on channels A and channels B (or I can use a wishlist for all channels). After the update, I can only choose A or B or "All channels" and that might include unwanted recordings from channels C, D, E, F, etc. Channel Y might not include episode information so they will get recorded regardless. (and those are the types of channels more likely to show endless repeats of the same episode). Channel Z might be Channel Y +1 and have the same problem. All I want is channels A and B, why have Virgin taken that away from me?
But do you have a real-life example?

The ability to set up parallel series links always seemed like an odd feature to me. I can only remember one other person who used it - if I remember rightly he wanted the HD version to watch now and the SD version to keep as an archive. So I'm interested in other examples where you find it useful.

On the other hand, Series Links that can record from any channel seem far more useful, and have often been requested.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:00   #116
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I've not really been following this thread, can anyone tell me what the update actually does?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 19:11   #117
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
On the other hand, Series Links that can record from any channel seem far more useful, and have often been requested.
Agreed, and it has been requested in the past. I've known a few shows swap channels over the years, and unless they are on a Whishlist, rather than a series link, you can miss them.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 19:19   #118
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

If the metadata was improved, recording from all channels wouldn't be a problem as it would ignore programmes already recorded; in fact it would be a good thing for the reasons highlighted by others.

As it stands I have to repeatedly delete duplicate episodes of 'Nothing To Declare' that i've already seen that TiVo records because it can't differentiate between the various episodes on most channels due to a generic synopsis being provided.

~~~

I have all my SL's set to 'Keep until I delete'. However, when the HDD starts getting full or if I haven't watched the recordings within a few days, they go into the 'Going away Soon' folder.

I then have to manually change these to 'Keep until I delete'.

Should my TiVo be doing this or is it a bug?

I would have thought that it wouldn't try to delete recordings that i've already told it to keep until further notice; or does it do this to try to maintain the ability to record new material??

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 21-06-2016 at 19:27.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 19:44   #119
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

I have all my SL's set to 'Keep until I delete'. However, when the HDD starts getting full or if I haven't watched the recordings within a few days, they go into the 'Going away Soon' folder.

I then have to manually change these to 'Keep until I delete'.

Should my TiVo be doing this or is it a bug?

I would have thought that it wouldn't try to delete recordings that i've already told it to keep until further notice; or does it do this to try to maintain the ability to record new material??
Interesting one that; something to keep an eye on. All my SLs are set to KUID; I want to decide which shows to delete if the hard drive starts getting full.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:33   #120
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
In the early hours of Friday and Saturday morning at about 2am my box rebooted itself, but didn't say that it had downloaded anything. Was this down to VM engineering work?
I'm sure this is a basic question and it's buried in a menu somewhere, but how do you check for last rebooted time on Tivo?
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote