Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ad-blockers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ad-blockers

Old 12-02-2004, 23:48   #16
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Ad-blockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
Unless you have added something to your hosts file in the past then there is no need to take a copy of it - since it wont have any entries in it anyway.
Thats the problem, if I use danielf's 'hosts file' idea then I have to make a copy of my host file before I mess with it
*edit* very tempted to go with zen's adshield...
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2004, 23:54   #17
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Thats the problem, if I use danielf's 'hosts file' idea then I have to make a copy of my host file before I mess with it
*edit* very tempted to go with zen's adshield...
I think Pem is saying there is no need to make a copy of the hosts file, as the one that is on your system is empty (assuming you haven't messed with it before).

You're not suggesting it's been 20 years since you last read are you (j/k)
Old 12-02-2004, 23:57   #18
peachey
Permanently Banned

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good (and free) ad-blocker. Not a popup blocker (I have google toolbar), not a spyware blocker ( I have spywareblaster, ad aware and spybot ). Just one that blocks adverts.
have you tried zonealarm pro?
peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 23:58   #19
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
I think Pem is saying there is no need to make a copy of the hosts file, as the one that is on your system is empty (assuming you haven't messed with it before).
Strangely, it isn't empty

Quote:
You're not suggesting it's been 20 years since you last read are you (j/k)
Well I started off using dos and programming in basic and machine code ....but that is all many years behind me and now I can't even remember simple dos commands
Old 12-02-2004, 23:59   #20
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey
have you tried zonealarm pro?
I already run Mcafee firewall, and am happy with it. Pro isn't free is it?
Old 13-02-2004, 00:00   #21
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I already run Mcafee firewall, and am happy with it. Pro isn't free is it?

it can be (winks)
Old 13-02-2004, 00:05   #22
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
it can be (winks)
Very likely but i don't even pirate music. I think that people should be payed for their work
Old 13-02-2004, 00:09   #23
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Very likely but i don't even pirate music. I think that people should be payed for their work

your choice dude

pm me if you sucumb to the dark side
Old 13-02-2004, 00:17   #24
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
your choice dude

pm me if you sucumb to the dark side
I know, I realise that I am in a minority
Old 13-02-2004, 00:22   #25
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I know, I realise that I am in a minority

are you an eccentric millionare?
Old 13-02-2004, 00:31   #26
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
are you an eccentric millionare?
No but i have just tried the 1 month trial of Adshield and am very tempted to buy it. It's very good Thanks Zen!
Old 13-02-2004, 00:36   #27
zendawn
Permanently Banned

zendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Which can be found here. Thanks for that, it looks good but it's not free. btw...do you use it?
If you check further on the page there are links for older versions of Adshield which are free. Its only version 3 and above that you have to pay for.
I use it all the time, you just right click on the ad you want to block and then select part of the URL, either all of it or the part relating to where the ad comes from, thus blocking others from that 'admill'

edit: I see you've down loaded the trial version, I'm not sure if that will mean the free versions will be effected by the time limit. Hopefully it will treat the others as different programs, if you know what i mean.
zendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 00:38   #28
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendawn
If you check further on the page there are links for older versions of Adshield which are free. Its only version 3 and above that you have to pay for.
I use it all the time, you just right click on the ad you want to block and then select part of the URL, either all of it or the part relating to where the ad comes from, thus blocking others from that 'admill'

hope you two aint thinking of marriage as i do believe you might be 'kin'
with those zen things
Old 13-02-2004, 00:42   #29
zendawn
Permanently Banned

zendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
hope you two aint thinking of marriage as i do believe you might be 'kin'
with those zen things

Oh just that 'Great minds think alike' zen thingy
zendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 00:47   #30
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendawn

edit: I see you've down loaded the trial version, I'm not sure if that will mean the free versions will be effected by the time limit. Hopefully it will treat the others as different programs, if you know what i mean.
I will probably buy it after a few days of trialling it.