Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 07-05-2012, 12:54   #196
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Wrong, again.

VM have no control over the content of any newsgroup which they do not run.

Unless you're telling me they can explicitly stop people from posting to, say, an MP3 newsgroup; which of course they can't.

They can censor or not carry that newsgroup but that's not the same thing. If there was a court order to block binary newsgroups they would have to comply with that too.

Yes. That's true. They could block access to them but they don't because that would be censorship and they would, quite rightly IMO, attract a lot of "bad press" for it.
You know anyone would think you own VM the way you defend it like this. You Sir are on my Ignore list for the simple reason your posts are the most biased posts on this forum and DO NOT make for reasoned reading. Plus i hope people understand you do NOT work or speak for VM thankfully.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Plus people persist in quoting the person you are ignoring

At least the facility exists and is easy to control though - over on TBB you have to email Seb to ignore somebody who you find irritating.

It was always on the cards that this thread would degenerate into arguments as the subject is contentious. As soon as one particular individual joined (who is not yet on my ignore list but may soon qualify) degeneration was a certainty as every thread he joins goes that way. An expert troll imo.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 13:32   #197
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
You know anyone would think you own VM the way you defend it like this.
Erm... no they wouldn't. They'd just think it's my opinion and I have a right to express it.

In this case I am happy to "defend" VM from idiots who can't seem to get it through their heads that VM has been LEGALLY ORDERED to block a site but have not blocked the same illegal content on Usenet servers that they don't even own because that would be voluntary censorship and would be wrong.

Quote:
You Sir are on my Ignore list..
Thank goodness for that. I won't have to put up with your abusing the rep system just because you don't like me. Now if I could only stop your friends from doing the same.

Quote:
for the simple reason your posts are the most biased posts on this forum and DO NOT make for reasoned reading.
That may be your opinion but it is not the truth. I am also happy to voice my opinions against VM in threads on such subjects. There are such threads on here if you look.

Quote:
Plus i hope people understand you do NOT work or speak for VM thankfully.
When have I ever said anything different?

And you talk about me posting nonsense? How ironic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
An expert troll imo.
You cannot mean me as having "a difference of opinion" is not in any definition of that word that I have seen.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 13:48   #198
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Ok last warning.Be civil to each and if you can't ignore those you have issues with then I suggest you leave the thread altogether.

Remember everyone is entitled to air their views whether you disagree with them or not provided they obey the site's T&Cs so I suggest some of you just move on if you cannot accept that.Infractions are likely to be the next step if you fail to grasp these facts.
Old 07-05-2012, 14:20   #199
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dush View Post
Can anyone on a 100mbit recommend a nice fast VPN?
You dont need a fast VPN. Torrents still work on VM, you just can't get to one source of them without working your way around the block.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 14:22   #200
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

And I'd say proxy > VPN.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 15:03   #201
NIco V
Permanently Banned

NIco V is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm..... it's blocked on firefox and ie but it is not blocked on opera turbo...
NIco V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 15:18   #202
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

Oh yeah I know that you can use a proxy but I'm interested in a VPN after all this talk of the internet being censored and people being sued etc. It's easier than a seedbox and probably more useful.

Opera turbo uses a third party server to compress data so that's why it works on there. Quite a nice idea for a good free, fast proxy!
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 15:27   #203
basicfags
Inactive

Services: samsung v+ hd box xxl 20 meg bb ps3, buffalo nas drive + bittorrent client
basicfags is an unknown quantity at this point

as i can still access tpb via my bt connection at work (mon 7th) . it begs the question, why were virgin so quick with implementing the block. where's the fire mr branson.
basicfags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 15:50   #204
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicfags View Post
why were virgin so quick with implementing the block. where's the fire mr branson.
It's called a court order. Why are BT being so slow? Also, Mr Branson has nothing to with it.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:17   #205
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicfags View Post
as i can still access tpb via my bt connection at work (mon 7th) . it begs the question, why were virgin so quick with implementing the block. where's the fire mr branson.
VM's network cannot handle the traffic they've probably seen this as a bit of relief and couldn't wait to employ it

As for people asking about VPN's These are ones I've used and have had very little problem with.

StrongVPN, US company, keeps logs but is an excellent service I used them for a few months and had no problem watching Hulu and NetFlix. The US NetFlix service is head and shoulders above the UK version, shame my credit card details wouldn't work after the free month.

Anonine, Swedish company I've got a three month OpenVPN subscription with these at the moment. I also tried the PPTP subscription for my iPad, unfortunately I messed up when ordering the PPTP service and basically they haven't answered my emails! According to the website they don't keep logs.

VPNTunnel.se again a Swedish company and I have had an a OpenVPN account with them for about 6 months. They also don't answer emails! and according to the website they don't keep logs.

You could also order a VPS from any of the UK suppliers and install a proxy and or OpenVPN, I'm not that familiar with Linux and managed to do it in and hour or so, there's plenty of help on the web. This may only be a short term solution as I don't know if UK VPS service providers will have to start blocking sites like the ISP's.

I have also tried a few free providers my advice on those would be not to bother.

I would also suggest using FireFox as your main browser with HTTPS Everywhere and Ghostery installed.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:31   #206
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

Seems an awful amount of effort for what ?
vmfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:33   #207
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not having to pay for something....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:34   #208
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

Ah so you pay for a VPN not to pay for something else = genius
Old 07-05-2012, 16:37   #209
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not me - others, perhaps...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:46   #210
vmfriend
Inactive

No I didn't mean you, I was just posing the question.