Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 04-05-2012, 22:06   #136
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
of course.

setting up a vpn server is a lot more configuration and need to add a tunnel device etc.

a socks is incredibly easy in comparison.

on the client side socks is easier as well.

although a VPN can do more eg. if you want to evade torrent shaping then a VPN is probably more suited than a proxy. But to just get round web site censorship its overkill.
not you! the guy who said setting up the VPN was easier
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 22:13   #137
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
a VPN is defenitly overkill, to set one up is significantly more complex than setting up a basic socks proxy which achieves the same thing. Also socks can be used more flexibly on/off for certian things rather than just rerouting everything through a VPN.
socks seemed more complicated to me to set up but i only briefly read the wiki on it just set up a vpn in less than a minute both could be usefull if i visit china

rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 22:13   #138
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
not you! the guy who said setting up the VPN was easier
well maybe I did it a long winded way, but a socks doesnt even need root access to setup, whilst openvpn I had to modify the network configuration on the server to add a tunnel device which is something noone should do lightly as it can take a server offline. I actually had to look for a guide to setup openvpn, something I dont often have to do with server configuration.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 22:19   #139
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
well maybe I did it a long winded way, but a socks doesnt even need root access to setup, whilst openvpn I had to modify the network configuration on the server to add a tunnel device which is something noone should do lightly as it can take a server offline. I actually had to look for a guide to setup openvpn, something I dont often have to do with server configuration.
Root access? People are on windows, why else would they want access to a torrent site if not to download linux?
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 22:31   #140
webrosc
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+, XXL BB, XL Phone
webrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enough

Just noticed something that's a little funny, but can any virgin employee's who work on the block look away now :P
my mobile which is a virgin one can access the site perfectly fine
webrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 22:35   #141
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Root access? People are on windows, why else would they want access to a torrent site if not to download linux?
are you just talking about setting up the client side?

I am talking about actually creating a VPN server to connect to, not just going out and buying a VPN service to use.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50   #142
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

i used a free one
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:46   #143
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
No doubt that will be something you investigate qas?
I'm not on VM.

---------- Post added at 03:45 ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Hardly. The pirate bay still exists, and still will exist. There is no 'rebuilding' needed. They certainly arent going to be affected just by a temporary block from a few ISP's.
They've had their servers raided and shut down in the past. A lousy IP block from a small proportion of single country's ISPs aint gonna do much.

---------- Post added at 03:46 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

Quote:
although a VPN can do more eg. if you want to evade torrent shaping then a VPN is probably more suited than a proxy. But to just get round web site censorship its overkill.
I found the opposite, on BT anyway.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:05   #144
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I've no need to access TPB as I don't use torrents but I was interested to see just how easy the block was to bypass without relying on third party proxies which could be used for harvesting personal data.

I quickly found scripts for several proxies written using php and uploaded two of them to a free US webhost I use for one of my webcams. One didn't work well but the second seems to work perfectly. Total time taken - maybe 15 minutes including testing both.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:09   #145
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I've no need to access TPB as I don't use torrents but I was interested to see just how easy the block was to bypass without relying on third party proxies which could be used for harvesting personal data.

I quickly found scripts for several proxies written using php and uploaded two of them to a free US webhost I use for one of my webcams. One didn't work well but the second seems to work perfectly. Total time taken - maybe 15 minutes including testing both.
obviously haven't read the updated thread title then
Old 05-05-2012, 13:49   #146
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Yes I have - there is no detail in my post. Anybody capable of the admittedly simple steps needed to produce their own proxy wouldn't need my post as a pointer. Anybody not capable would probably just use google to find a bypass.

The thread title was amended because people were posting links to public proxies designed to bypass the VM block.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:53   #147
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

One amusing thing with TPB's change to using only magnet links, you can download the entire site from one of the many not blocked torrent sites and then use TPB locally for as long as you like. Obviously will want to refresh the thing every few days to pick up additions but it really does highlight the futility of blocking it.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:19   #148
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

What I find even more amusing is people cannot post how to circumvent the block but at the top of the page there's Google ads pointing you in the right direction.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:25   #149
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
What I find even more amusing is people cannot post how to circumvent the block but at the top of the page there'sGoogle ads pointing you in the right direction.
Very true ,and to me it sums up the whole mess the copyright/internet/downloading laws are getting into
Old 05-05-2012, 14:59   #150
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
What I find even more amusing is people cannot post how to circumvent the block but at the top of the page there's Google ads pointing you in the right direction.
LOL! Never noticed that... been on the internet so long I tune out these things
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote