Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What does the big glowing button do

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Has anyone managed to get 100Mb on SHUB wireless?

Old 25-04-2012, 20:53   #1
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Question Has anyone managed to get 100Mb on SHUB wireless?

I can max out hardwired @ 105Mb, but wireless the max I can get is 87Mb but only in the flaky 300Mbps mode. If I run it in the stable 145Mbps mode, I can only get 77Mb. Has anyone managed to max out in wireless mode? I don't want to set it to modem mode, as I have enough northern lights going with that without my Netgear 3700 adding to it!

I read of updated wireless drivers, any news on this?
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2012, 20:55   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Has anyone managed to get 100Mbit on SHUB wireless?

you tried 5ghz?

the new drivers will be included in the next firmware release which hasnt even entered beta yet
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 20:56   #3
Risco
Inactive

Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Re: Has anyone managed to get 100Mbit on SHUB wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
you tried 5ghz?

the new drivers will be included in the next firmware release which hasnt even entered beta yet
I could try 5ghz, but as this is not dual wireless it would mean I can't connect everything else without messing with the settings each time.
Old 25-04-2012, 22:52   #4
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Has anyone managed to get 100Mb on SHUB wireless?

sorry, thought you were only benchmarking it
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 01:27   #5
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
sorry, thought you were only benchmarking it
Well for the hell of it I tried, 300mbps @ 5ghz was awful with massive ping @ 134ms and diabolical speeds of 30Mb download and 2Mb upload. In 145mbps mode, the SHUB performed no better than 2.4ghz as expected.
Old 26-04-2012, 03:59   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You will never be able to max out a 110mbps connection over 144mbps wireless. With a good router, 68% efficiency with TCP connections is the most you're likely to get, so about 90-95mbps tops in a Speedtest. With average routers under average conditions you will get less so 77mbps seems perfectly normal.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 11:11   #7
akhlaq768
Inactive

akhlaq768 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Risco,

Just wondering how you firstly getting 105mb via wired and 87mb via wireless?

did you do anything on the setting options?
akhlaq768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:26   #8
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

I've had 114Mbit/sec from the Superhub to my Macbook.. was in the same room, 5GHz, 40MHz..
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:52   #9
nefu
cf.member

Services: XXL Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V+, XXL phone, several mobiles!
nefu is on a distinguished roadnefu is on a distinguished road

In my experience (Beta testing for Netgear mainly) I have found that 5ghz is good for congested areas, however it's coverage/range is a lot poorer than 2.4ghz
nefu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20   #10
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

I have trouble getting 100mbs using wired, can usually expect to get about 80 Mbs - 93Mbs.
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:08   #11
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

I've managed 123Mbit/sec from a Desktop PC wired into a WNDR3700 router to a PC upstairs on 5GHz using wide channels.

The wide (300Mbit) channel in 2.4GHz would work fine if there is enough channel distance between you and your neighbours, and if most of your neighbours are on Channel 6, like most of mine are, forget 300Mbit. It'll automatically reduce to 130 if it detects conflicting networks.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:32   #12
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

It's only possible to get a maximum of 72mb through my DW1501

I've had a look at the channels in use locally, and there are a couple on 5, a couple on 6, and then there is myself and one other on channel 1. Now I understand that it is better to change to an unused channel.

I have been told by a friend who is a BT engineer that channel 13 is the best one to use, as many routers don't use it, but the shub does. Can anyone confirm this?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:33   #13
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
It's only possible to get a maximum of 72mb through my DW1501

I've had a look at the channels in use locally, and there are a couple on 5, a couple on 6, and then there is myself and one other on channel 1. Now I understand that it is better to change to an unused channel.

I have been told by a friend who is a BT engineer that channel 13 is the best one to use, as many routers don't use it, but the shub does. Can anyone confirm this?
Try changing to 5Ghz that may help improve things.
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:37   #14
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Try changing to 5Ghz that may help improve things.
Apparently the DW1501 doesn't work too well on 5Ghz.

I can get 72mb, that isn't a problem, and that is the maximum with a DW1501. I was just asking about the best channel settings.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:39   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Most routers - anywhere in the world - default to the 1-6-11 layout for compatibility, meaning it is correct that most routers won't in themselves pick channel 13.

However, since channel 11 overlaps all the way from 9-13 anything on channel 11 will interfere with 13 anyway so there's no real benefit, unless your neighbours are on 9 or below.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote