Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 15-10-2014, 20:33   #841
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
HBO is planning to allow people to watch it's shows without the need of a cable sub it seems HBO is planning to let you watch it's shows without the need of cable in 2015 it seems.
I personally think this is a great idea.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6...scription-2015

Sounds good mate, what are the top shows on HBO? and would we in the UK be able to access it through Tivo?
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2014, 20:39   #842
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
HBO is planning to allow people to watch it's shows without the need of a cable sub it seems HBO is planning to let you watch it's shows without the need of cable in 2015 it seems.
I personally think this is a great idea.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6...scription-2015
Will be interesting to see if we get it. I can not think of any objection sky will be able to raise.
Old 15-10-2014, 21:22   #843
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Sounds good mate, what are the top shows on HBO? and would we in the UK be able to access it through Tivo?
Some grat shows are Game of thrones, The leftovers, i like angry boys which is a Australian comedy. Also HBO has a lot of movies too for example some of the ones i've noticed this month on HBOGO are Prisoner, Ride along, Riddick amongst many others.
There is no info at the moment if it'll be on Tivo it's launching in USA first but plans to launch in other countries too at a later date.
Old 15-10-2014, 21:29   #844
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Some grat shows are Game of thrones, The leftovers, i like angry boys which is a Australian comedy. Also HBO has a lot of movies too for example some of the ones i've noticed this month on HBOGO are Prisoner, Ride along, Riddick amongst many others.
There is no info at the moment if it'll be on Tivo it's launching in USA first but plans to launch in other countries too at a later date.
Edit i've added a couple of screenshots of my hbogo so you get a fair idea of what it's like.
The app is much better than the browser though imo.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2.png (465.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: png 5.png (443.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 15-10-2014, 22:25   #845
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Isn't 40% of Sky Atlantic's content from HBO so a lot of those shows would not be available. And Sky Movies has a deal with all the Hollywood Studios so a lot of its film content would be unavailable too.
It will be interesting to see if it comes to the UK. Certainly, HBO's approach of being available on all networks via direct subscriptions in the US contrasts with its content largely being on one platform - Sky via Sky Atlantic - in the UK.
Old 15-10-2014, 22:55   #846
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Isn't 40% of Sky Atlantic's content from HBO so a lot of those shows would not be available. And Sky Movies has a deal with all the Hollywood Studios so a lot of its film content would be unavailable too.
It will be interesting to see if it comes to the UK. Certainly, HBO's approach of being available on all networks via direct subscriptions in the US contrasts with its content largely being on one platform - Sky via Sky Atlantic - in the UK.
I reported HBO was doing this last year if some of you remember?
Anyway what i think will happen if HBO launches in uk which i think it will, sky will probably have first run rights then HBO will just have the content via on demand like they do on HBOGo.
Sky do have many agreements with hollywood studios but this hasn't stopped the likes of film4, netflix and amazon getting first run rights to movies what HBO will do i think is show movies via on demand but i wouldn't expect any latest releases maybe it'll be movies that have already premiered on sky etc?
Either way this shows HBO are now taking the onlinetv industry very seriously and i think others will follow suite such as Showtime, starz etc.
Very exciting times ahead i think.
Old 15-10-2014, 23:09   #847
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Certainly, HBO's approach of being available on all networks via direct subscriptions in the US contrasts with its content largely being on one platform - Sky via Sky Atlantic - in the UK.
Yes, I've commented on that previously. Is the fact that it's only on one provider in the UK, due to Sky taking advantage of HBO's greed?
Old 15-10-2014, 23:13   #848
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Yes, I've commented on that previously. Is the fact that it's only on one provider in the UK, due to Sky taking advantage of HBO's greed?
Both companies are trying to maximise their profits, call it greed, call it business.

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Quote:
I reported HBO was doing this last year if some of you remember?
Now you mention it, yes.
Old 15-10-2014, 23:30   #849
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Both companies are trying to maximise their profits, call it greed, call it business.

I'm going for greed

The strange thing is, one of the HBO big wigs boasts about how GOT is the most illegally downloaded show and seems to revel in it, but limits the number of legal ways available to view it via streaming. Thankfully they seem to have woken up to the modern way of accessing media.

With the Sky deal in place, I think it will be a while before we get an official HBO streaming service in the UK.

Now TV provides a half baked way of doing it, but the lack of permanent back season availability and delays in showing new HBO shows and seasons, makes it a poor substitute IMHO.
Old 15-10-2014, 23:55   #850
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm going for greed

The strange thing is, one of the HBO big wigs boasts about how GOT is the most illegally downloaded show and seems to revel in it, but limits the number of legal ways available to view it via streaming. Thankfully they seem to have woken up to the modern way of accessing media.

With the Sky deal in place, I think it will be a while before we get an official HBO streaming service in the UK.

Now TV provides a half baked way of doing it, but the lack of permanent back season availability and delays in showing new HBO shows and seasons, makes it a poor substitute IMHO.
Whilst keeping GoT Sky Atlantic-only will encourage some downloading in the UK, it wouldn't be enough to make it the most illegally downloaded show worldwide so that's credit to the show itself. But I never think it's a great idea to alienate those who want to buy your content but can't.
Old 15-10-2014, 23:55   #851
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I'm going for greed

This, 100 times over, well said PB.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:34   #852
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm going for greed

Sky's current deal with HBO runs until 2020 , do you really think that many in the UK would pay for HBO content as a standalone sub can't see it myself.

Half baked or not Now TV still offers premium HBO content along with content from many other studios and for the price of £6.99 how much would you expect a HBO standalone offering to be ?
Old 16-10-2014, 11:38   #853
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky's current deal with HBO runs until 2020 , do you really think that many in the UK would pay for HBO content as a standalone sub can't see it myself.

Half baked or not Now TV still offers premium HBO content along with content from many other studios and for the price of £6.99 how much would you expect a HBO standalone offering to be ?
Basing this on USA price it is $9.99p/m i believe in USA if they keep that same price structure when launched in uk it would be about £6.20.
The other option could be they launch a HBOGO service similar to HBOnordic which offers content from other providers too.
I think quite a few people will take the sub tbh, but i think Sky will probably get something like HBOGO included in a sub too.
Old 16-10-2014, 11:45   #854
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Edit i've added a couple of screenshots of my hbogo so you get a fair idea of what it's like.
The app is much better than the browser though imo.
Are you going thru a VPN?
Old 16-10-2014, 12:01   #855
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Are you going thru a VPN?
Yes but also a friend has given me a login for their Verizon account too.
Closed Thread