Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TalkTalk tracking you, phorm?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TalkTalk tracking you, phorm?

Old 03-09-2010, 15:47   #91
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TalkTalk tracking you, phorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I'm not aware of any group of websites taking action over content/copyright issues but perhaps you have more details of that. Which website owners are those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
nope, it is about a webmasters rights over their own content and how it is accessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
The sites are copyright and have database rights. Why should I allow anyone to use the sites contents to enable them to market a commercial product from which neither the sites nor I get a return.
Quote:
I've sent TalkTalk terms, conditions and rates, for any future access.
Done using Hatari's terms and conditions slightly modified, which raise concerns over content.

If there is nothing to do with content or copyright issues behind it all fair enough, just how it comes across.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2010, 17:32   #92
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

i fail to understand how where i am an admin has anything to do with this topic

if you actually look i have made few posts there, on the talk talk topic

as far as i am concerned this is about a webmaster ability to control access and if they require then the ability to charge for commercial access to a website

this service provides nothing to the website (does not provide traffic like search engines etc)

this service is easilly defeated by websites by using soure ip to serve a different page to mask any malware it is supposed to identify

and it provides no protection for the first visitor as the site is checked after the visit

in short it is about as usefull as a chocolate teapot
bluecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:50   #93
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
i fail to understand how where i am an admin has anything to do with this topic

if you actually look i have made few posts there, on the talk talk topic

as far as i am concerned this is about a webmaster ability to control access and if they require then the ability to charge for commercial access to a website

this service provides nothing to the website (does not provide traffic like search engines etc)

this service is easilly defeated by websites by using soure ip to serve a different page to mask any malware it is supposed to identify

and it provides no protection for the first visitor as the site is checked after the visit

in short it is about as usefull as a chocolate teapot
I thought that the service spidered sites as well as its' replay function, so it would presumably just run through the links on the site. Are you saying it only replays earlier requests?

How serving malware via a different IP address would make any difference would also be good to know. The Huawei technology is, hrm, rather good at analysing content by all accounts.

Thanks in advance. Interesting to know how this works in more detail.
Old 04-09-2010, 18:05   #94
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I thought that the service spidered sites as well as its' replay function, so it would presumably just run through the links on the site. Are you saying it only replays earlier requests?

How serving malware via a different IP address would make any difference would also be good to know. The Huawei technology is, hrm, rather good at analysing content by all accounts.

Thanks in advance. Interesting to know how this works in more detail.
you have mis-interpted my comment about serving different pages

using various scripts a website can serve a different page depending on what the source IP of the request is, i know of several sites that do this (no to avoid malware detection but to provide a polite notice to users from certian ISP networks)

the current information is it only follows talk talk users after the event, it does no proactive spidering as far as i am aware, unless you can provide information to the contrary
Old 04-09-2010, 19:56   #95
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
using various scripts a website can serve a different page depending on what the source IP of the request is, i know of several sites that do this (no to avoid malware detection but to provide a polite notice to users from certian ISP networks)

the current information is it only follows talk talk users after the event, it does no proactive spidering as far as i am aware, unless you can provide information to the contrary
Understood.

I have asked and understand firstly that this is an extremely unlikely course of events, given previous experience from anti-malware that does spider and stroll the internet and secondly that the system has countermeasures to complicate this. No specifics were given sadly, but to describe this as being completely pointless as a service would strike me as harsh.

On the one hand an argument has been made that this service is different from other anti-malware because they come from well known IP ranges and are easy therefore to identify but on the other it's described as useless because malware can be tailored to hide from it. This is a rather contradictory series of statements.

I was not aware of spidering but it was mentioned as a possibility in this thread. If there is no spidering done this service doesn't have a requirement to read robots.txt as far as I'm aware. This is to be read by bots when they follow a link to another site - robots.txt is the first file they should read to ensure they behave themselves.

Given that ignorance of robots.txt is a charge levelled at the system that it would appear to not have functionality necessitating reading robots.txt is relevant.
Old 04-09-2010, 20:02   #96
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:
Understood.

I have asked and understand firstly that this is an extremely unlikely course of events, given previous experience from anti-malware that does spider and stroll the internet and secondly that the system has countermeasures to complicate this. No specifics were given sadly, but to describe this as being completely pointless as a service would strike me as harsh.

On the one hand an argument has been made that this service is different from other anti-malware because they come from well known IP ranges and are easy therefore to identify but on the other it's described as useless because malware can be tailored to hide from it. This is a rather contradictory series of statements.

I was not aware of spidering but it was mentioned as a possibility in this thread. If there is no spidering done this service doesn't have a requirement to read robots.txt as far as I'm aware. This is to be read by bots when they follow a link to another site - robots.txt is the first file they should read to ensure they behave themselves.

Given that ignorance of robots.txt is a charge levelled at the system that it would appear to not have functionality necessitating reading robots.txt is relevant.
several people have been told (as far as i am aware) that it does honour robots.txt

but evidence did not support this
Old 04-09-2010, 20:20   #97
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Understood.

Do you run a website yourself? In which case, have a look at the logs for May, June, and July. Or maybe you aren't a webmaster?
Rchivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 21:46   #98
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Why ask the same question twice, just in a different way, RJ?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 21:54   #99
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do you run a website yourself? In which case, have a look at the logs for May, June, and July. Or maybe you aren't a webmaster?
I notice on your website T&C's that you make specific reference to "agreed" conditions of access which you have notified to a particular third party.

Are we to take from this that your battle is won and that they have agreed to your specific terms in relation to access to your site?
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 22:41   #100
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
I notice on your website T&C's that you make specific reference to "agreed" conditions of access which you have notified to a particular third party.

Are we to take from this that your battle is won and that they have agreed to your specific terms in relation to access to your site?
I suggest you read the various website Terms of Use/Access published by the companies of TalkTalk Group plc.
Old 04-09-2010, 22:45   #101
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I suggest you read the various website Terms of Use/Access published by the companies of TalkTalk Group plc.
Why Bob?

My query was specific to your website T&Cs which state categorically that there are "agreed" terms in effect between it and a third party.

Is this or is this not the case?
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 23:10   #102
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
Why Bob?

My query was specific to your website T&Cs which state categorically that there are "agreed" terms in effect.

Is this or is this not the case?
I've nothing more to add.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23   #103
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:44   #104
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Very well....

Rather boringly I don't appear to have much of anything from Opal Telecom / Talk Talk.

I've ygnition.net, teleguam.net and various other exotic domains / netblocks but nothing from Opal oddly. I guess my content isn't interesting enough.

If you have something to add however, rather than asking questions in response to posts pointing out apparently contradictory statements and inconsistencies it would be greatly appreciated and would I'm sure add greatly to the discussion.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:
several people have been told (as far as i am aware) that it does honour robots.txt

but evidence did not support this
Would be good to see something in writing to this effect, just 'for the record' as I don't see why this system would need to do so unless it spiders. Per my above note expected behaviour of a spider is that the first thing they do is consultant robots.txt, if this abomination doesn't spider there's no real need.

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Quote:
Something also noteworthy from the T+Cs you've put there is this, emphasis by me:

Quote:
TalkTalk are banned from spidering this site along with Huawei servers except according to agreed conditions of access notified by us to TalkTalk at their registered office.
The definition of spidering is subject to debate, you've phrased it in a way that includes Huawei servers in that specific activity, and as mentioned by Mr A unless Talk Talk have agreed to your conditions of access I'm unsure if they have any requirement to obey them anyway.

There is nothing on this site that I can see that mentions anything about any implicit agreement to any terms of access by using the site, if we're comparing however TalkTalk's site on the other hand...

Quote:
These terms and conditions apply to your use of the Website and by accessing the Website, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set out below.
For people who, collectively, claim they are getting high quality legal advice you guys are certainly leaving plenty for their lawyers to have fun and make some money picking apart. I'm not saying you're wrong but certainly said high quality lawyer is arranging some work for himself.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:43   #105
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Why? It would help if you did explain the relevance of Talk Talk's terms and conditions to your own websites..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote