Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

Old 20-08-2016, 08:02   #46
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I havent seen the failure recently
Does this mean that you had similar network glitches in the past but no longer have them? If so, what did you change to eliminate them?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2016, 09:31   #47
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Does this mean that you had similar network glitches in the past but no longer have them? If so, what did you change to eliminate them?
If only it was that easy

I recently bought a Roku device and very occasionally when streaming it also locks up with a network error.

I dont know whether its dependent on the amount of local traffic. It does seem quite lite here.

But as to what has changed I don't have a clue. I ought to document the changes but life's to short to bother with it.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 12:17   #48
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If only it was that easy

I recently bought a Roku device and very occasionally when streaming it also locks up with a network error.

I dont know whether its dependent on the amount of local traffic. It does seem quite lite here.

But as to what has changed I don't have a clue. I ought to document the changes but life's to short to bother with it.
That was me grasping at straws, really. I will be getting a new main TV next month. In the meantime I plan to watch as many of my TiVo recordings as possible on the suspect (sending) box and then use the excuse of the new set to take the plunge and exchange the TiVo hoping the network problem goes with it.
Old 22-08-2016, 07:33   #49
heavyside
cf.geek

Over the weekend one TiVo became 'invisible' to my other TiVo. It took a reboot before the receiving TiVo was able to 'see' it again. Another sign that one of my boxes is at fault for all the 'Network too slow' glitches I have been getting?
Old 22-08-2016, 08:38   #50
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Streaming between Tivo's seems hit and miss. Why not keep things simple and a lot cheaper by using a wireless AV sender to send to another TV ? No extra box charge, no streaming charge, no restriction on channels. Works fine for me.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:56   #51
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Streaming between Tivo's seems hit and miss. Why not keep things simple and a lot cheaper by using a wireless AV sender to send to another TV ? No extra box charge, no streaming charge, no restriction on channels. Works fine for me.
I can think of two reasons at least. You can only watch one channel thereby annoying all others in the household and you can only record 3 channels with one tivo.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 09:39   #52
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I can think of two reasons at least. You can only watch one channel thereby annoying all others in the household and you can only record 3 channels with one tivo.
Well I've got freeview as an option on both tv's. Can't think of a time where i've need to record more than 3 channels. Surely there's not enough time to watch it all and sleep, work, play etc.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:16   #53
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well I've got freeview as an option on both tv's. Can't think of a time where i've need to record more than 3 channels. Surely there's not enough time to watch it all and sleep, work, play etc.
On certain evenings, you can get about five or six clashes at 9pm, and all the tuners are also in use during the 10-11pm hour, making the +1 option out of the question.

It does happen, although if you are lucky, you may find some programmes repeated during the week.

...And I'm quite fussy about what I watch!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:22   #54
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
On certain evenings, you can get about five or six clashes at 9pm, and all the tuners are also in use during the 10-11pm hour, making the +1 option out of the question.

It does happen, although if you are lucky, you may find some programmes repeated during the week.

...And I'm quite fussy about what I watch!
Most of the pay channels have multiple airings of a show and in HD I've never ever had an issue.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:25   #55
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Most of the pay channels have multiple airings of a show and in HD I've never ever had an issue.
Yes, I have generally managed to resolve clashing problems, but it can sometimes take a while, particularly if a number of the programmes are on the main terrestrial channels.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 07:43   #56
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

We got the TiVo update early hours of yesterday morning (30th August). Last night was by far the worst streaming experience to date - 3 failures in less than 10 mins so we gave up. Coincidence? Maybe but what ever it was enough to try my wife's patience and I came downstairs this morning to find her looking at SkyQ.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 10:20   #57
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
You say that, and, TBH, in my case, 3 tuners is enough more often than not, but for a house with a couple of adults and two or three kids, 3 tuners may be a little restrictive.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:46   #58
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You say that, and, TBH, in my case, 3 tuners is enough more often than not, but for a house with a couple of adults and two or three kids, 3 tuners may be a little restrictive.
There is the problem of clipping. If, for example, you have padding set before and after a programme and decide to record one programme starting at, say, eight o'clock and another at ten o'clock and don't wish to clip them you will only effectively have one tuner available for anything you might wish to record at nine o'clock when, IMO, the most interesting programmes tend to go out.

Quote:
We got the TiVo update early hours of yesterday morning (30th August). Last night was by far the worst streaming experience to date - 3 failures in less than 10 mins so we gave up.
I've had the software update for a couple of weeks now. I've found that it made no difference to my original multi-room streaming problem although on Monday evening I did manage to watch a streamed film of 2+ hours all the way through without the by now familiar 'Network too slow' message. Whatever is causing this is probably more fundamental than a software update. I suspect it might be a hardware fault. I'm waiting for a new TV to be installed next month when I plan to swap the suspect (sending) TiVo and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 14-09-2016, 09:07   #59
heavyside
cf.geek

Yesterday I had a new twist on my 'Network too slow' problem when, several minutes into a streamed recording, I got the message 'Unable to find TiVo' (or words to that effect). There was a fault number - it might have been V87 but I forgot to make a note of it. I reconnected and watched most of the recording before I got the now inevitable 'Network too slow' message a couple of minutes from the end.

Fed up I decided to watch some iPlayer. The TiVo app was buffering several times each minute and I switched to watching iPlayer on my smart TV app which worked without fault. I'm now wondering if the 'Network too slow' and 'Unable to find TiVo' problems and the buffering iPlayer are all connected.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 14-09-2016, 21:10   #60
whoareyou
Inactive

Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
whoareyou is on a distinguished roadwhoareyou is on a distinguished road

Finally I've swapped the old V+ for a second Tivo. One in the living room and one in the dining room. With the SH upstairs in the bedroom. Any other way to link them rather than ethernet or homeplug?
whoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote