Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

Old 31-07-2016, 06:39   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

I have my two TiVo boxes networked together so that I can watch programmes recorded on one on the other and vice versa. At least that's how it should work in theory but repeatedly I have been having a problem. Midway through watching a recording it stops and I get the message 'Network too slow'.

I am using a cat 5 wired connection via a superhub 2 and have checked that my plugs are properly connected. I can't find any explanation on the Virgin Media multiroom streaming troubleshooting pages. Can anyone offer any help?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2016, 06:57   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

Yes I have noticed this. Before the VM homeplug trial I used A TP-link games adapter and streamed over wi-fi. This seemed the only way to get a good connection. Then the homeplugs seemed to work (at least during the trial) but then went back to dropping the connection so back onto the TP-Link.

The only thing I havent tried is using an ethernet cable from the tivo to the router. (havent got a long enough one for a test.)
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:03   #3
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Yes I have noticed this. Before the VM homeplug trial I used A TP-link games adapter and streamed over wi-fi. This seemed the only way to get a good connection. Then the homeplugs seemed to work (at least during the trial) but then went back to dropping the connection so back onto the TP-Link.

The only thing I havent tried is using an ethernet cable from the tivo to the router. (havent got a long enough one for a test.)
I tried homeplugs but even though my home wiring was fairly new and in good condition I kept getting this problem. I switched to a 15 metre cat 5 wired solution for this reason. I would have thought a wired connection would be the most reliable. My internet connection through the superhub 2 seems rock solid - so why this 'Network too slow' problem?
Old 31-07-2016, 09:30   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

The only difference I see between what you do is that you use the Superhub and I use a Asus router and run the Superhub in modem mode.

Do you have Cisco or Samsung Tivos? I have Samsung. A 1TB and a 500GB one. I have a thought that I could drop an ethernet cable out of the window to connect it to the downstaris one and see what happens.
Old 31-07-2016, 10:28   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It's strange to have issues when wired , I don't have a TiVo so can't comment on multiroom streaming with it.

Connectivity with wifi and homeplugs will always result in connection issues for some. I have my Sky Q Mini connected to my Sky Q hub with wifi using the mesh and it's been pretty problem free even more so since the latest firmware update.

Could it be a problem since the latest update if you have received it ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 11:28   #6
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
The only difference I see between what you do is that you use the Superhub and I use a Asus router and run the Superhub in modem mode.

Do you have Cisco or Samsung Tivos? I have Samsung. A 1TB and a 500GB one. I have a thought that I could drop an ethernet cable out of the window to connect it to the downstaris one and see what happens.
I have two 1TB Cisco TiVos. Everything else apart from the multiroom streaming is working normally. In fact I was watching a recorded Sky Cinema HD film yesterday evening and the quality seemed very good - until I got the 'Network too slow' message and the recording stopped. This happened three times during a 2 hour film.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It's strange to have issues when wired , I don't have a TiVo so can't comment on multiroom streaming with it.

Connectivity with wifi and homeplugs will always result in connection issues for some. I have my Sky Q Mini connected to my Sky Q hub with wifi using the mesh and it's been pretty problem free even more so since the latest firmware update.

The problem has me baffled. I would not have expected this kind of thing with a wired connection. I have not received the update yet.
Old 31-07-2016, 11:30   #7
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

It might be a clash between as I did appear to some problems when the Tivos were on different updates.

I suspect that using the superhub doesnt help. I left an ethernet test between thwe tivos running while I went shopping ( found a long ethernet cable that I didnt know I had) and there were no problems. However I have the superhub in modem mode. and am using an Asus router running merlin firmware
Old 31-07-2016, 16:03   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

You can run an Ethernet between two TiVos directly without going via hub/switch/whatever. It would be a good thing to try to rule out your SuperHub.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 16:45   #9
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You can run an Ethernet between two TiVos directly without going via hub/switch/whatever. It would be a good thing to try to rule out your SuperHub.
That's something that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks, I'll give it a try this evening.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:50   #10
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
I tried this but got the message 'Network Problem - Unable to Find TiVo' (or words to that effect). I plugged the ethernet cable back into the superhub2 and it all appeared OK. I have yet to see if the original problem persists as I did not watch any streamed recordings yesterday evening. Any other ideas?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I tried this but got the message 'Network Problem - Unable to Find TiVo' (or words to that effect). I plugged the ethernet cable back into the superhub2 and it all appeared OK. I have yet to see if the original problem persists as I did not watch any streamed recordings yesterday evening. Any other ideas?
Hmm... maybe you have to reboot the TiVos after changing to a direct connection?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:22   #12
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Hmm... maybe you have to reboot the TiVos after changing to a direct connection?
A reboot did the trick. The other TiVo is now visible. I will try and view a recording this evening to see if I still get the interruption and 'Network too slow' notice.
Old 01-08-2016, 14:14   #13
mcgillca
cf.member

mcgillca is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem, both of mine are connected via a gigabit switch through Cat 5e cables.

Its very irritating, since on restarting, the recording starts off from the beginning again (or wherever you last started it).

I can only assume that the buffer used for multi-room streaming is very small.

Colin
mcgillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:35   #14
heavyside
cf.geek

A direct TiVo to TiVo connection via a cat 5e cable is not the answer. I was watching a recording yesterday evening streamed from my second TiVo and it was interrupted by the familiar and unwelcome 'Network too slow' message. Pressing OK took me back to the start of the recording and I had to fast-forward to the point where I was interrupted. The fault must lie with the TiVo and its networking ability (or lack of). Everything else seems to be working normally.

This is a really annoying problem especially with the Olympic games upon us when, not being a sports fan, I plan to be watching a lot of recorded material. Has no one got a solution for it?
Old 03-08-2016, 13:16   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
A direct TiVo to TiVo connection via a cat 5e cable is not the answer. I was watching a recording yesterday evening streamed from my second TiVo and it was interrupted by the familiar and unwelcome 'Network too slow' message.
Ok, it's good to rule these things out.

Sounds like the sending TiVo isn't supplying data fast enough. Try a "Clear Thumb ratings & Suggestions" on it. (if you haven't already)