Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 11-02-2012, 23:11   #181
itcomms
Inactive

Services: 50MB Virgin Business Internet
itcomms is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

done

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

could you also confrim that you are on the firmware: V5.5.2R04-BU???
itcomms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 23:16   #182
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Thanks - PDF on it's way to you. Yes my firmware is the same.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 23:32   #183
itcomms
Inactive

Thanks for the info.

so basically when setting up the superhub with a static range of IPs from VM

the first public IP will be assigned to the LAN interface of the Superhub, then any other devices on the network will be setup with the second public IP with a default gateway of the Public IP of the superhub??

if this is the case, then this is easy to setup once vm give me a range of IPs
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03   #184
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
as much as I love VM for speed, being forced to have the shub as a router is enough to put me off VM for life. What nipple head at VM thinks the shub is so amazing that it can out class Cisco routers? I am actually lost for words it is such a stupid idea.

In terms of logic you would have thought it would be the other way around where they would have released modem mode for businesses and forced the routing fuction on domestic users.
I have to agree considering the issues on the consumer service its classic stupidity to use this on a business level service.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35   #185
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

I would guess there are two reasons they used the Superhub.

1) is to support L2TP so they can provide fixed IPs in a better way. The way they have done this up to now with "sticky" IPs is a real pain for them and the users.

2) they want to match the offerings of BT and others who supply a Superhub like device with wireless etc built in. (Note though that I believe BT had recall on many of their BT Infinity routers due to a hardware issue so VM are not the only ones to have issues like this.)
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43   #186
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcomms View Post
Thanks for the info.

so basically when setting up the superhub with a static range of IPs from VM

the first public IP will be assigned to the LAN interface of the Superhub, then any other devices on the network will be setup with the second public IP with a default gateway of the Public IP of the superhub??

if this is the case, then this is easy to setup once vm give me a range of IPs
Yes that's pretty much it. The first IP gets assigned as a secondary to the Superhub.

Under LAN IP 192.168.0.1 still appears (which DHCP turned off)

Under static subnet is where the routed subnet appears.

Also under Services Firewall features is off and greyed out. Only IPSEC & PPTP pass through and Multicast is enabled.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51   #187
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
I would guess there are two reasons they used the Superhub.

1) is to support L2TP so they can provide fixed IPs in a better way. The way they have done this up to now with "sticky" IPs is a real pain for them and the users.

2) they want to match the offerings of BT and others who supply a Superhub like device with wireless etc built in. (Note though that I believe BT had recall on many of their BT Infinity routers due to a hardware issue so VM are not the only ones to have issues like this.)
BT use the homehub on their business customers?

the recall I think was on the openreach modems themselves not routers.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:13   #188
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

BT supply an optional Ethernet router on their high-end service(s) and a standalone modem. It's entirely your choice whether to use the router, modem, or both (though they will obviously only support their kit if a fault occurs).

Thankfully, since this thread started they've given me a far better alternative to VM business.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 11:19   #189
itcomms
Inactive

Thanks for the info.

I am waiting for VM to call back today RE: Firmware FIX

if no Fix is available this week, i will then upgrade to ensure we get a stable connection.

it went off Saturday night for about 20 minutes but seems to have been ok since then so far.
Old 20-02-2012, 13:20   #190
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Did you either get a timescale for the bug fix or move to the subnet option. If the latter does it work OK?
Old 20-02-2012, 13:33   #191
itcomms
Inactive

its been more stable without having the routed option at the moment.

restarted on Friday due to (Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow)

going to monitor it this week and if it goes off anymore, will be asking for routed option.

i do however see the below in the logs for this weekend.

Quote:
Sat Feb 18 16:07:30 2012 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Feb 18 16:07:30 2012 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Feb 18 16:07:30 2012 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Feb 18 16:06:54 2012 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Old 20-02-2012, 13:46   #192
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

MACs removed from last post. Please do not post Cable Modem MACs..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11   #193
APS
Inactive

There is a lengthy debate about other issues with the business version of the Superhub going on in this thread on the official VM community forum:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ighlight/false

Apart from mention of the VOIP issue there is a definite problem with running email server traffic through SH. VM acknowledge the problem and have a workaround but several claim that does not work.

VM staff do not respond to business service matters on that forum (there is not one for business users). If anyone with knowledge of the business modem service would like to comment here it would be appreciated as we have having one installed tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22   #194
itcomms
Inactive

We have now downgraded to Cisco 2100 Cable Modem on 10 MB Service, which was completed about 10 min ago.

all is good
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28   #195
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcomms View Post
We have now downgraded to Cisco 2100 Cable Modem on 10 MB Service, which was completed about 10 min ago.

all is good
The Cisco can handle 20 if you need more speed
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote