Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

Old 29-03-2006, 14:23   #31
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
If you are called by the hospital for an outpatient's appointment then I don't think it is unreasonable to regard the parking charge as part of your treatment costs.
Why should I pay to have an outpatient treatment since I already pay my tax and NI?
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2006, 14:26   #32
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Why should I pay to have an outpatient treatment since I already pay my tax and NI?
Sorry, I phrased that ambiguously. What I meant was that it is perfectly reasonable to regard parking for your outpatient's appointment as part of your treatment and therefore parking costs should be either reimbursed or negated on the day.
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 19:49   #33
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Since when have the hospital managment had any morals?
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 20:27   #34
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
Since when have the hospital managment had any morals?
Thats an interesting point, would you care to expand a little to give us more of your viewpoint?
Old 29-03-2006, 20:54   #35
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
Sorry, I phrased that ambiguously. What I meant was that it is perfectly reasonable to regard parking for your outpatient's appointment as part of your treatment and therefore parking costs should be either reimbursed or negated on the day.
Gottit ......good job I didn't go off on one!
Old 29-03-2006, 20:57   #36
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Gottit ......good job I didn't go off on one!
consider this then

You think its right that youve paid your tax and NI therefore you should get free parking for visiting outpatients for treatment?

People visit your practice? They also pay for their treatment. Should they get free parking?
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 21:07   #37
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy
consider this then

You think its right that youve paid your tax and NI therefore you should get free parking for visiting outpatients for treatment?
If my local hospital starts to give free parking then I'll be presenting my bus ticket to them for reimbursement too.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:52   #38
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

My partner is currently at the GWH Hospital in Swindon.
When I saw the parking charges I remembered reading this thread on Cable Forum.

Try £35 for more than 8 hours:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4583464.stm

What makes this completely ridiculous is the hospital in not anywhere near any shops etc, it's out of town, so no one would want to park there unless they were visiting the hospital.
The old hospital in Swindon was in the town, so understandable there, but not where it is now.

And don't get me started on the PatientLine thing, grrrrrrrrrrr....
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02   #39
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Sorry to hear that Mikey - hope she's back home soon.

Our local hospital (Oldchurch, Romford) was named and shamed as one of the high charging hospitals for parking spaces - if you can get a space, that is!
My Mum had an appointment there last Thursday, which is a 'quiet day' in Romford i.e. not a market day. She is a blue badge holder as she can only walk 10 yards or so without being in severe pain. It took me an hour of driving round to find a parking space, and then it wasn't a disabled one as they were all taken - mostly by able bodied drivers (not displaying blue badges). So then you end up paying for the priviledge. Charming!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:24   #40
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB
My partner is currently at the GWH Hospital in Swindon.
When I saw the parking charges I remembered reading this thread on Cable Forum.

Try £35 for more than 8 hours:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4583464.stm
'kin 'ell
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:02   #41
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
Sorry to hear that Mikey - hope she's back home soon.

Our local hospital (Oldchurch, Romford) was named and shamed as one of the high charging hospitals for parking spaces - if you can get a space, that is!
My Mum had an appointment there last Thursday, which is a 'quiet day' in Romford i.e. not a market day. She is a blue badge holder as she can only walk 10 yards or so without being in severe pain. It took me an hour of driving round to find a parking space, and then it wasn't a disabled one as they were all taken - mostly by able bodied drivers (not displaying blue badges). So then you end up paying for the priviledge. Charming!
Thanks Chimaera, she should be home this afternoon

I've been quite lucky in finding a space there the past couple of days, on other occasions I have been driving round looking for one.
But I've not experienced it as bad as you said. They really should enforce the disabled spaces more, especially as we pay so much in parking charges and all the attendants seem to do is look for expired tickets so they can make another quick buck out of us.

It really bugs(for want of a better word!) me seeing obvious abuse of the disabled spaces going on, some people are too bloody lazy & arrogant.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:44   #42
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB
...It really bugs(for want of a better word!) me seeing obvious abuse of the disabled spaces going on, some people are too bloody lazy & arrogant.
I was in wythenshawe hospital today walking down the corridor with 4 nurses in front of me:-

one nurse to another:-

"we park in the disabled spaces in protest of the lack of staff parking facilities"

how sick and twisted can someone be - they're a nurse but put themselves before disabled people.

I wish I'd said excuse me could you please confirm to me what you've just said and let me take a note of your name but then hignsight is a wonderful thing!

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

I have now rang the hospital and told their complaints/legal department the above.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 14:36   #43
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

My other half had to go to the hospital for a 2 hour+ test the other day but when he got there he found that you could only pay for and park for a maximum of 2 hours, he asked the staff in the clinic if he could go and put more money in the meter but was told that it would effect the test so he had to sweat it out and hope he didn't get a ticket which luckly he didn't!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 16:11   #44
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

It's worth noting that Wythenshawe hospital now charge £2 for upto 2 hours or 3 for 3 etc but you can buy a weeks parking (6 trips) for £6 from the security desk - they dont advertise this.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 16:18   #45
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Have you ever thought that some of them may have weight problems because they are not mobile Littld? I am not saying this is the case but it could be
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote