Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

Old 28-03-2006, 20:24   #16
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_365
And if a hospital subsidises car drivers by offering free parking, it should also subsidise non-drivers by paying for anyone's tube/train/bus fare too.
But everyone has a car don'tchknow!!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2006, 20:37   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well all I know is that when they didn't have a carpark and parking charges there was no where to park at all..which is a lot worse when you finally have to park in the local area some half a mile away.If I had to go to the big central hospital with all the major outpatient clinics I couldn't leave the car behind because It would have involved two long bus journeys and a ferry trip as well just to get there by public transport.
Old 28-03-2006, 21:15   #18
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
To be honest if Hostpital Car parks were free, all and sundry would park there, that's how I see it anyway
Some sort of controlled parking then? Anyway, at least one hospital I can think of offhand is miles away from any shops or stations.....no one would want to park there unless they were going to that hospital and they still have a charge......
Old 28-03-2006, 21:18   #19
Cilonen
Inactive

Cilonen is a jewel in the roughCilonen is a jewel in the roughCilonen is a jewel in the roughCilonen is a jewel in the roughCilonen is a jewel in the rough

The costs are so high because the hospital trusts outsource the parking to the national chains (ncp, etc) who also want to make a profit.

At the last hospital I worked the staff could get parking permits, but would have the (admittedly, subsidised) cost deducted from their salaries

Even the junior docs & nurses had to pay for parking, and if they tried to get away with it (say at 3am on call) they'd find themselves ticketed or even clamped. That is morally reprehensible.
Cilonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 22:04   #20
Chicken
Inactive

Chicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
To be honest if Hostpital Car parks were free, all and sundry would park there, that's how I see it anyway
People would park for free! Never!
Or are you saying that when I visit Leicester General in the daytime (between 9am and about 3pm) and have to drive around for half an hour to try and find a parking space, that some of those cars parked in the carpark (or on the road outside, or on the side of the roads on double yellow lines, or just inside the carpark entrance(s) blocking off the exit and forcing you to perform a 6-point turn to get past them) are actually people who have parked and poped off to the shops or to work??

Well, I never did - he's me thinking that the hospital purposly made all the apointments in the morning just to fill the carpark up so that at visiting times (4pm - 8pm mainly) there's 90% of the carpark empty just in case everyone visiting decide to arrive in their own car at the same time and bring 6 extra cars with them....
Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 01:40   #21
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do the hospitals really get the money though?

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/...tory132709.asp
Paddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 02:46   #22
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

there is a major hospital just up the road here that has a parasitic private company in its ground and they charge a lot (can't remember how much - but will find out) for a 'minimum four hour period' This in iself is fairly repulsive as most of the time you just need to nip in for less than an hour, but what has galled the car park administrators is the way a sort of 'union of the people' has formed and people returning to thier cars have handed over the pay and display tickets with 3 hours left on them to new parkers and so on. If the parking space has been paid for for a four hour slot then what's it got to do with the car park admin people if its not a total gouge?

the admin people have stuck up signs saying transferring tickets is not permitted to try and curb this action also
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 08:26   #23
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Winchester Hospital is expensive. But I have to say they were great to me when my nan was dying and I couldn't leave in case she died by herself.. The nurse sent a message to the hospital parking warden with my car reg, telling them not to fine me after my ticket ran out.

Sadly, while there are unscrupulous scrotes out there that will happily use a free hospital parking space while they're out shopping, there has to be a charge. BUt they could operate how my local sports centre does regarding their car park. Get your ticket, take it into the sports centre and and get it refunded if you use their facilities.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 08:54   #24
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

I've unfortunately had to use hospital car parks quite a bit just lately and in every case I have declined to either purchase a 'pay & display' ticket or been given a 'get out of car park free' voucher. Most of the nurses and doctors said they would arrange free parking even though our visits were not for life threatening situations.

Quote:
(From BBC article)

....... most hospitals had exemptions from charges for patients, "and hospital staff are generally well trained in advising patients about these exemptions".
So there are provisions for long term or frequent users - no problem I reckon
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 11:44   #25
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Our local hospital was recently demolished and rebuilt. Well, they demolished two hospitals, cut back another one and built a new hospital on the site of one of the demolished ones, but that's off topic.

When they built the new hospital, they came to some sort of arrangment with Sainsburys (who have a large supermarket next door) that if Sainsbury's took over the running of the hospital patients car park, they could extend their own carpark iinto it.

Of course, Sainsburys have taken advantage of this, and now seem to charge hospital visitors and patients whatever they like. Also, I noticed (when I used to visit my mum) that if you left after the store had closed, they often switch the lights in the Car Park off. A few times, I have gone to go back to the car, only to find myself in darkness. Surely this isn't safe.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 11:58   #26
fatmat8
cf.addict

Services: ntl
fatmat8 will become famous soon enoughfatmat8 will become famous soon enoughfatmat8 will become famous soon enough

the hospital i work in charges , but the problem was that being quite near the city centre , lots of of people where parking & walking into the city . which was a walk of some 5 minutes.
consequently ambulances had great difficulty in moving patients to a & e etc.
since charging was instigated traffic problems have decreased.
ergo i welcome having to pay for parking.
am i strange ?
fatmat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 11:59   #27
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by basa
So there are provisions for long term or frequent users - no problem I reckon
Now that's interesting.....not a lot of people know that.......strangely enough......almost as if the car park management companies don't want to publicise it.
Old 29-03-2006, 12:09   #28
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmat8
the hospital i work in charges , but the problem was that being quite near the city centre , lots of of people where parking & walking into the city . which was a walk of some 5 minutes.
consequently ambulances had great difficulty in moving patients to a & e etc.
since charging was instigated traffic problems have decreased.
ergo i welcome having to pay for parking.
am i strange ?
I have to admit, the parking charges don't bother me as such. After all, somebody has got to pay for the maintenance of the car park. I would rather that money didn't come out of hospital budgets. No, what bothers me is that the part of the car park that hospital patients and staff are supposed to use gets smaller every year.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1
Do the hospitals really get the money though?

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/...tory132709.asp
Sadly, that sort of thing happens all too often since the NHS was privatised, and is probably the reason for at least some of the current financial troubles.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 13:01   #29
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Totally OT but where I work we have around 3-4000 staff and the staff car parks are about 2.5 miles away ! We all get bussed into work. Whilst they are free it adds about 15-20 mins to travel times.

I cycle to work and get there quicker than by car.
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 14:19   #30
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

There needs to be some form of system designed that takes into consideration the reason for your visit.
If you are called by the hospital for an outpatient's appointment then I don't think it is unreasonable to regard the parking charge as part of your treatment costs. If you had to use a patient transport ambulance then that would be paid for...

If you are having a course of chemotherapy then again it is not unreasonable to have your parking taken care of.

If you are visting an old mate who has just had his piles snipped then there is no reason why you shouldn't pay.

Working out the reason is the problem.....You could have a system where the ward clerk stamps your card to negate your ticket for example. Open to abuse though but fairer then charging everyone.

You could be sent a parking code on your admission letter but that requires someone to administrate extensions due to unforseen clinical problems etc.

There is no easy answer, well yes there is.....charge everyone, which is what they are doing.....
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote