Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connecting two computers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

connecting two computers

Old 16-10-2007, 07:53   #1
emand61
Inactive

emand61 is an unknown quantity at this point
connecting two computers

I'm new to cableforum

i am having problems connecting two computers so i can share files betwwen the two, one is win xp pro and the other has win 2000 connected to msi router, on the xp pro computer i have the dyndns ip updater installed.

any help how to configure these two.

thanks.
emand61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2007, 08:16   #2
zing_deleted

Re: connecting two computers

you should just be able to run network connection wizard on both machines make sure they are both on the same domain ie WORKGROUP. . Another way is to just share the drives or folders you wish to this should just enable file sharing and as long as both machines are on the same domain you should be fine

Old 16-10-2007, 08:23   #3
emand61
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
you should just be able to run network connection wizard on both machines make sure they are both on the same workgroups ie WORKGROUP. . Another way is to just share the drives or folders you wish to this should just enable file sharing and as long as both machines are on the same workgroup you should be fine

Thanks for the quick reply, but for me it is still difficult what you mean, first where to do these settings for the workgroups.
Old 16-10-2007, 08:29   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Right click on "my computer" (icon on the desktop or in the start menu), select properties, select the "computer name" tab select the "change computer domain" button
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 09:15   #5
emand61
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Right click on "my computer" (icon on the desktop or in the start menu), select properties, select the "computer name" tab select the "change computer domain" button
do i have to do settings in my router.
Old 16-10-2007, 09:24   #6
zing_deleted

the router should just play the game

right click the drives or folders you want to share and click sharing . Tell it you knwo what your doing and just enable file sharing
Old 16-10-2007, 09:33   #7
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

an both machines can you go to start --> run --> type in "CMD" you should have a dos box now, there type in "IPCONFIG" and you should see an ip address like 192.168.*.*.

what you then do is on the XP machine type in "Ping (then ip address of Win2k machine)" you should either get 4x Answer from, or Request timed out or Destination Host Unavailable.

if you get Answer from then you can do file transfer, if not then there is a firewall playing silly buggers somewhere.

when it has been answer from go to start ---> Run ---> type in now \\(and the ip address of the computer you want to reach)

this should work 99% of the time
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote