Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 20-09-2014, 10:38   #2476
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Was it posed or genuine?
The editorial reference states.

"Pro-Independence supporters attempt to burn to (sic) a Union Flag in George Square, Glasgow, Scotland, on September 18, 2014, during a referendum on Scottish independence."

Whether Mr Buchanan sought to stage the event or not is a matter you might wish to take up / clarify with him.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2014, 10:52   #2477
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
The unfortunate reality is that this "pledge" or "vow" - which appeared first on the front page of a newspaper - was not based on any existing party policy but is a supposed committment of three individual political party leaders acting in concert.

From the Indy.

Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'

"Some Conservative MPs, who want the Prime Minister to go further by setting up an English Parliament, threatened to vote against extra powers for the Scottish Parliament unless he beefs up his proposals for England."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
....sucked a lot of people in.

I still believe it will happen.

However the pubic pressure on the Government needs to happen right away and across the UK. Cameron, Miliband and Clegg all promised this would happen and there were no clauses given on those powers being transferred. English votes for English laws is a good idea but needs to happen separately from these powers being transferred if it's going to cause a problem.

I think the consequences of not doing so would be pretty bad and include another referendum in just years.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 11:00   #2478
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I still believe it will happen.

However the pubic pressure on the Government needs to happen right away and across the UK. Cameron, Miliband and Clegg all promised this would happen and there were no clauses given on those powers being transferred. English votes for English laws is a good idea but needs to happen separately from these powers being transferred if it's going to cause a problem.

I think the consequences of not doing so would be pretty bad and include another referendum in just years.

Totally agree, I just wonder how many No voters would have voted Yes if there were no further powers for Scotland.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 11:25   #2479
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I still believe it will happen. However the pubic pressure on the Government needs to happen right away and across the UK. Cameron, Miliband and Clegg all promised this would happen and there were no clauses given on those powers being transferred. English votes for English laws is a good idea but needs to happen separately from these powers being transferred if it's going to cause a problem. I think the consequences of not doing so would be pretty bad and include another referendum in just years.
I admire your optimism Damien but the facts of the matter are that the three main party leaders (at least one of whom has form for pledge dishonesty) with no political mandate or legislative policy affording them the right to do so, supposedly "signed up to" a "pledge".

As far as I am aware there was no grand televised theatric public signing, no detail of exactly what they were pledging / vowing to do (ironic, given that their main criticism of the opponent campaign was that of uncertainty) and now we are seeing the splits appear in their own respective camps. I mentioned several times during the course of this thread the fact that the Edinburgh Agreement would require all of its signatories to debate, negotiate and agree everything after the outcome of the referendum no matter what the outcome. If I recall correctly you dismissed that as being largely irrelevant.

Given that position I'm surprised, to say the least, that you're now hoping to hold messrs Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to their word on the basis of what appears to be little more than a note scribbled in haste on the back of a fag packet and published on the front page of a newspaper in an attempt (successful at that) to make Scottish voters think they were being offered anything beyond that which they might achieve under any Edinburgh Agreement negotiations.

All things considered it was a master stroke on their part and people fell for it.

Where this might lead is anyones guess but certainly any trust that previously existed has been stretched beyond the pale.
Old 20-09-2014, 11:38   #2480
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Not at all, I abhor violence in any form, I just found it strange that you never commented on the Union Flag being set alight even though you did indeed see that image.
I didn't comment on that because of the context it was posted in.

It did seem strange to post that without condemning the hijacking of an event by racist bigots.

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
The editorial reference states.

"Pro-Independence supporters attempt to burn to (sic) a Union Flag in George Square, Glasgow, Scotland, on September 18, 2014, during a referendum on Scottish independence."

Whether Mr Buchanan sought to stage the event or not is a matter you might wish to take up / clarify with him.
Thanks Mr A.

Not that I think for a minute that there aren't Nationalist ar$eholes capable of burning the Union Jack, that just looked a little framed for the camera.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 11:39   #2481
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I didn't comment on that because of the context it was posted in.

It did seem strange to post that without condemning the hijacking of an event by racist bigots.
Fair enough, I never heard any "racist" stuff, but there are bigots on both sides, and that should be stamped out, no time for that *****.
Old 20-09-2014, 12:11   #2482
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Wouldn't it be best to actually see if the extra powers promised to Scotland materialise before slating everyone involved?
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 12:16   #2483
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist View Post
Wouldn't it be best to actually see if the extra powers promised to Scotland materialise before slating everyone involved?
Yes I agree with you, it's early days.
Old 20-09-2014, 13:12   #2484
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's the sudden lack of clarity that bothers me. The Government made a promise to Scotland and they should keep it to the timetable agreed. Any perceived movement of the goal posts needs to be condemned quickly.

There are a lot of people unhappy in Scotland. We need to help things get back to normal and it won't be helped by a perception that the party leaders are going back on their promises one day after the vote.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Given that position I'm surprised, to say the least, that you're now hoping to hold messrs Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to their word on the basis of what appears to be little more than a note scribbled in haste on the back of a fag packet and published on the front page of a newspaper in an attempt (successful at that) to make Scottish voters think they were being offered anything beyond that which they might achieve under any Edinburgh Agreement negotiations.
I think you're being too brutal here. I am unhappy with the suddenly ambiguity but we're a long away from this being 'done'. For example Brown has confirmed that the motion in the leaflet Russ posted has been signed and will be presented to Parliament on Monday. They haven't completely dismissed their promises yet.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 13:13   #2485
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Quote:
It's the sudden lack of clarity that bothers me. The Government made a promise to Scotland and they should keep it to the timetable agreed. Any perceived movement of the goal posts needs to be condemned quickly.

There are a lot of people unhappy in Scotland. We need to help things get back to normal and it won't be helped by a perception that the party leaders are going back on their promises one day after the vote.
I really don't understand the negativity. It's not even a day and a half since the results were announced. At this point in time, nobody can say that what's promised won't be delivered, nobody
Old 20-09-2014, 13:26   #2486
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
I think you're being too brutal here. I am unhappy with the suddenly ambiguity but we're a long away from this being 'done'. For example Brown has confirmed that the motion in the leaflet Russ posted has been signed and will be presented to Parliament on Monday. They haven't completely dismissed their promises yet.
I take your point Damien, completely.

However, for Brown to refer to himself and the others variously as "promise makers" and "promise keepers" in this context does not bode well. Anyone with access to Google and / or a modicum of interest in UK politics would have good cause to be worried at such accolades being bandied about.
Old 20-09-2014, 13:32   #2487
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I really don't understand the negativity. It's not even a day and a half since the results were announced. At this point in time, nobody can say that what's promised won't be delivered, nobody
The negativity is probably because the first part of the much publicised, front page vow has already been broken.:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vow.jpg (23.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 20-09-2014, 13:51   #2488
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Quote:
The negativity is probably because the first part of the much publicised, front page vow has already been broken.:
Is that an official Better Together quote? I don't recall the timetable being described that way. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...don-Brown.html
Old 20-09-2014, 14:04   #2489
LondonRoad
Inactive

Quote:
Is that an official Better Together quote? I don't recall the timetable being described that way. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...don-Brown.html
It's the wording of the Vow signed by Cameron, Milliband and Clegg
Old 20-09-2014, 14:21   #2490
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Quote:
It's the wording of the Vow signed by Cameron, Milliband and Clegg
That's not the wording though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (144.4 KB, 136 views)