Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking #101

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking #101

Old 18-05-2008, 19:40   #16
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Networking #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
TBH, if your wanting to tinker with things for self education you may be better at some point getting a plain ADSL modem with ethernet output. You've then got more configuration flexibility.
Agreed. Need to get a bog standard ADSL modem with ethernet - I'll have a look at work tomorrow to see if we have any in stock.
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2008, 09:58   #17
LSainsbury

*Bump*

Back to this Networking #101 thread!

I've now purchased a bog standard Zyxel router from eBay and I've now managed to convince my ISP to give me a static IP and and a block of 8 addresses - 5 of which I believe are usable.

So - this weekend I'm going to attempt to install this...

What's the best way to configure it and in what order should the devices be connected?

I think it goes:

Zyxel Router > WatchGuard Firewall > Switch

And from the switch I can connect the client PC's, printers etc as well and the current Linksys wireless router which will be in access point mode only.

Also - what's the best device for DHCP - Zyxel or Firewall?

Cheers

Lee
Old 13-06-2008, 10:14   #18
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

Sounds like the best layout given that the router is also your modem.

I would have suggested making the WG Firewall the DHCP server (using one range) and then setting a different range between the WG's external port and your new router.

It may also be worth then putting the WG in the DMZ of the router (if the option is available) or turning NAT off on the router as I'm not sure what hassle you might get if both router and WG are NAT'ing.

Someone please leap in if I'm wrong on that!
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 15:54   #19
LSainsbury

*Bump*

Bit of a bump! Just been playing with my setup this afternoon and I can't work out how to setup the Linksys WAG325N ADSL Modem / Router as a just an access point...

Want I want to do is have any wirless clients coming in over wifi to get the IP address from the ZyXEL (sorry - you may need to read up a bit for a refresh!)

Any ideas how I can diaable the WAN / ADSL functions and use as a access point?

It's just a simple ADSL router at the moment - just ignore everything about the WatchGuard firewall - I've not put that into the loop yet - wanted to the the basic ZyXEL router / Linksys WAG325N as an access point working first!

Cheers

Lee
Old 06-10-2008, 00:15   #20
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Don't be....all donations gratefully received!

I always thought it went:

ISP >> ADSL Router >> Firewall >> Switches >> Internal LAN Devices
My network used to be like that, then it got pointless and i used the firewall on my Router and set a netgear as a wireless access point, and the switch is in my bedroom for all the stuff in there
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote