Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button

Old 21-04-2012, 22:07   #121
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age
Re: BBC Red Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not the same at all

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

The TV adverts don't mention lots of things, they are there to promote the things the box can do

The web pages for TiVo however say http://my.virginmedia.com/discover/t...ch-browse.html

You can also catch up with BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, which you can access by selecting a BBC channel and pressing the red button*.
*Red button services coming soon.
Over 12 months later and still "coming soon"....,go on Ben,define "coming soon"
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2012, 23:52   #122
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road

Like others I'm a bit gutted that you can't access multi-screen options from pressing red button on the TiVo like you could on the V+
Snooker's on at the moment and at least I can watch on the internet PC but still not the same as sitting down comfortably in the living room and watching it. That BBC Sport app only has F1 news on it too. zzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 13:06   #123
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Lets face it for some people ( myself included) Virgin have bought into a pup. Tivo seems to be a box of hot air disguised as the Greatest PVR. Its not. If you have a V+ hang on to it - I would advise anyone not yet having a TiVo to think long & hard about it. Or as I, keep your V+ & treat the TiVo as your "second" or in my case poor third source of TV .
I tend to use the TV`s Free view before TiVo. But I use the Red button a lot.
Old 24-04-2012, 13:48   #124
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Lets face it for some people ( myself included) Virgin have bought into a pup. Tivo seems to be a box of hot air disguised as the Greatest PVR. Its not. If you have a V+ hang on to it - I would advise anyone not yet having a TiVo to think long & hard about it. Or as I, keep your V+ & treat the TiVo as your "second" or in my case poor third source of TV .
I tend to use the TV`s Free view before TiVo. But I use the Red button a lot.
It seems my dear chap Itshim is having the grumps again as regards to the TiVo but Itshim please explain why you think Virgin have bought into a pup?.
Old 24-04-2012, 13:51   #125
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Totally disagree with you there. I love my TiVos and hate using the V+ that's in my step daughters room. She even wants a TiVo to place it.

TiVo does so much more than the V+ and I think some people dislike it because of fact it's a bit more complicated. Red button services are now available and will be getting better over the next few months.
Old 24-04-2012, 14:07   #126
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

That the crux of it Stephen. TiVo has to improve a lot and I'm sure it will, but how quickly? Currently though it is a televisual mystery that a supposed upgraded box cannot give what the box that it's replaced can. Many red button services on HD+ box that aren't in Tivo, no reminders, clunky record etc. Yes it has many good points but beggars belief that it was launched without at least all a V+ box can do. So IMHO it will be a very good product but some way off it yet.
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 14:12   #127
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
but beggars belief that it was launched without at least all a V+ box can do
Chicken and the Egg thing that though - you need a reasonable customer base installed for it to be worth providing apps for, yet without the apps some people won't want it
Old 24-04-2012, 14:23   #128
zappa100
Inactive

zappa100 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am missing the programme information i used to get when pressing the red button while listening to radio stations (mainly BBC 3/6) on the V+.
Especially the "now playing" box....

Of course, i can switch the tv over to freeview to get the info while i listen to radio through the stereo......
zappa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 14:24   #129
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Chicken and the Egg thing that though - you need a reasonable customer base installed for it to be worth providing apps for, yet without the apps some people won't want it
Do you seriously believe VM's TIVO success will hinge on apps , I would think its advanced feature set should be its biggest selling point. This is one view I share with Carl and that's TIVOs main strength is its original trump cards such as 14 day EPG , wishlists , never ending series links plus many more , surely anyone desperate for a vast array of apps can purchase a games console , Roku etc and sub free.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 14:29   #130
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Do you seriously believe VM TIVOs success will hinge on apps , I would think its advanced feature set should be its biggest selling point. This is one view I share with Carl and that's TIVOs main strength is its original trump cards such as 14 day EPG , wishlists , never ending series links plus many more , surely anyone desperate for a vast array of apps can purchase a games console , Roku etc and sub free.
For once MM l have to agree considerably with the many points yourself and Carl are making but it is also nice still to have the apps in there as some of them are very useful and used quite a bit in our household.
Old 24-04-2012, 14:49   #131
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Do you seriously believe VM's TIVO success will hinge on apps
By 'Apps' I'm also including services under the Red Button
Old 24-04-2012, 15:15   #132
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
That the crux of it Stephen. TiVo has to improve a lot and I'm sure it will, but how quickly? Currently though it is a televisual mystery that a supposed upgraded box cannot give what the box that it's replaced can. Many red button services on HD+ box that aren't in Tivo, no reminders, clunky record etc. Yes it has many good points but beggars belief that it was launched without at least all a V+ box can do. So IMHO it will be a very good product but some way off it yet.
You've obviously completely forgotten all of the posts here and elsewhere prior to the TiVo launch where people were whining that they wanted TiVo NOW NOW NOW!!!! Of course, it launched and most of the same people switched to whining that it was an incomplete product.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 15:17   #133
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
By 'Apps' I'm also including services under the Red Button
Apologies for that Ben didn't realise.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 15:27   #134
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
You've obviously completely forgotten all of the posts here and elsewhere prior to the TiVo launch where people were whining that they wanted TiVo NOW NOW NOW!!!! Of course, it launched and most of the same people switched to whining that it was an incomplete product.
No hadn't forgotten, wasn't one bit interested and therefore didn't read them
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 16:33   #135
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It seems my dear chap Itshim is having the grumps again as regards to the TiVo but Itshim please explain why you think Virgin have bought into a pup?.
All the negative posts here for a start.
I would love to see the accounts relating to it. If they did not get them at a lower price than V+,& they are - as with me "giving it away". I fail to see the extra revenue stream that it should bring in. ergo a pup. I wonder how many BRAND NEW customer & therefore extra revenue it has brought in ( always remember ,some would have signed up if only the V+ was offered) Add to this the cost of promotion( I would be surprised if TiVo helps with that).

From the people I have spoken to its not a sales winner, nor loser. However no Atlantic seems to be a sales loser.
As I would prefer to use Virgin & have no problems with the services offered, I hope they & as the provider its down to them. Get it sorted soon.Instead of relying on smoke & mirrors, its not OUR fault its other people line,can only keep the biggest supporters happy for so long. It has not chance with a cynic like me.!