Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button

Old 20-08-2012, 15:31   #301
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC Red Button

Also am sure that TiVo is different to the V+ as it uses the 10MB line in the box for all the apps and extras/interactive rather than the older method of the cable return path. Although its probably possible to still use it if needed.
Old 20-08-2012, 16:31   #302
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

But doesn't TIVO use the cable path return pth for Sky Sports red button? Rather than intenet based?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 16:47   #303
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
But doesn't TIVO use the cable path return pth for Sky Sports red button? Rather than intenet based?
Yes as far as I know it does, which again proves that TiVo is capable of doing what the V+HD can do if the channel provider wishes it to
Old 21-08-2012, 04:48   #304
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I find it amazing that it's the opening of the football season and there is no football on the BBC Sport app, only Formula 1 and Olympics (which is now over)
Old 21-08-2012, 06:13   #305
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I find it amazing that it's the opening of the football season and there is no football on the BBC Sport app, only Formula 1 and Olympics (which is now over)
One word and that is shocking.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:28   #306
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Thought this may be worth reviving this thread for

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...n_changes.html

Quote:
I believe Connected Red Button will be a real step forward for audiences and will lay the foundations for new creative opportunities; new ways of thinking about television and radio programmes.

The first version of the Connected Red Button launches later this year. Look out for more details soon.
So I reckon that the BBC will create an IPTV version of the single Red Button stream that will remain after the others stop this month
Old 03-10-2012, 11:29   #307
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes as far as I know it does, which again proves that TiVo is capable of doing what the V+HD can do if the channel provider wishes it to

Ben
S4C still say its down to Virgin to "work " the red button on its channel. Circles come to mind.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38   #308
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Ben
S4C still say its down to Virgin to "work " the red button on its channel. Circles come to mind.
What has that got to do with the BBC Red Button service on TiVo?

If you are talking about the alternate audio stream, that's works differently to the BBC Red Button apps - and has it's own thread
Old 03-10-2012, 12:16   #309
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What has that got to do with the BBC Red Button service on TiVo?

If you are talking about the alternate audio stream, that's works differently to the BBC Red Button apps - and has it's own thread
Nothing really. except the buttons are both red. Glad Freeview & Sky do not have the issues Virgin have around this sore point

Side point BBC fund S4C now perhaps both services will get worse on Virgin !!! as Clearly BBC in Wales rate Virgin as a low priority. I Player in Cardiff area is rubbish & that is down to them - is it not
Old 03-10-2012, 12:50   #310
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
Final Score was on the red button on Saturday afternoon so at least some progress there.
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:52   #311
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarkr View Post
Final Score was on the red button on Saturday afternoon so at least some progress there.
Yes a little progress is better then none.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54   #312
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes a little progress is better then none.
One small step along the road ------ All together now
Old 03-10-2012, 16:00   #313
David H
cf.member

Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
David H is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad to see upcoming events on the forum here which says both teletext and another lost service are coming this year, but if Virgin genuinely doesn't have a compatible system with teletext I do wonder how they know it's even possible to resolve let alone when. I've also discovered text cropping up on more Freeview channels, albeit not news, and I've pretty much lost track of what's going on in the world now (not such a bad thing) as I'd relied on teletext for decades and don't waste money on newspapers which only have a few things worth reading in hundreds. Nowadays people say 'Do you know about...' and I have no idea, it's like being on permanent holiday abroad.

Do we think they'll really get it this year or was that said just to stop people leaving?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 16:03   #314
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
but if Virgin genuinely doesn't have a compatible system with teletext I do wonder how they know it's even possible to resolve let alone when.
No digital service is compatible with 'teletext'. However some other services currently have more text on their interactive services than the BBC apps do on TiVo.

When that changes is down to the BBC - as is shown by the increasing options on the Sports app and the forthcoming Connected Red Button app
Old 03-10-2012, 16:08   #315
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
I'm glad to see upcoming events on the forum here which says both teletext and another lost service are coming this year, but if Virgin genuinely doesn't have a compatible system with teletext I do wonder how they know it's even possible to resolve let alone when. I've also discovered text cropping up on more Freeview channels, albeit not news, and I've pretty much lost track of what's going on in the world now (not such a bad thing) as I'd relied on teletext for decades and don't waste money on newspapers which only have a few things worth reading in hundreds. Nowadays people say 'Do you know about...' and I have no idea, it's like being on permanent holiday abroad.

Do we think they'll really get it this year or was that said just to stop people leaving?
Teletext really That is a blast from the past. Did not know it was even suggested it was making a return. Seems old hat for Tivo How ever I recall I used a lot many moons ago. Before BB I guess
Just seen Bens post guess that "kills" teletext as we know/knew it