Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button

Old 12-06-2012, 11:28   #211
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: BBC Red Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm not arguing against that - but end of the day, what content is available is the BBC's choice, not Virgin's
Sorry Ben ,
Virgin is the supplier & therefore should have "created" a work around. It seems that "buck & pass" sum up the managements business plan ( if in fact one exists)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29   #212
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm not arguing against that - but end of the day, what content is available is the BBC's choice, not Virgin's
Yes l understand that but l can't help feeling because of the considerable cuts the BBC are making there is a suspicion that corners are being cut in all departments including sport and that all we will get is a much watered down version then what we had before even though we get plenty of video clips and not much else presently.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36   #213
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l understand that but l can't help feeling because of the considerable cuts the BBC are making there is a suspicion that corners are being cut in all departments including sport and that all we will get is a much watered down version then what we had before even though we get plenty of video clips and not much else presently.
If its sports you're after just use the Skysports redbutton, its much more feature rich and informative than the BBC's is these days.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52   #214
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
If its sports you're after just use the Skysports redbutton, its much more feature rich and informative than the BBC's is these days.

If you have it
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19   #215
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Sorry Ben ,
Virgin is the supplier & therefore should have "created" a work around. It seems that "buck & pass" sum up the managements business plan ( if in fact one exists)
Virgin are the platform, the BBC is the supplier of the content.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:50   #216
toby53
Inactive

toby53 is on a distinguished roadtoby53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For TiVo, it's a complete break from the existing platform so the BBC have had to start from scratch - but as it's got a net connection have decided to base it on their 'Connected TV' version

But the BBC has enabled fairly comprhensive text articals on the news Red Button channel so why not carry over to the sports output
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:54   #217
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Virgin are the platform, the BBC is the supplier of the content.
Virgin are the supplier of the services.Something that for the most part they are failing to do. Free view offer more than Virgin in the basic`s department.
Hang on ( if you pardon the pun) Virgin have apps with Hang man. That really makes up for the failures in other services,does it not .
Horse before cart perhaps!

If I did not have Virgin I would not take it today. Fed up with them playing "catch up" on basics.
Old 12-06-2012, 14:03   #218
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Virgin are the supplier of the services.
And the TV services which Virgin provide is TiVo, not the BBC apps on TiVo.

What is provided on Freeview, Sky and both Virgin platforms is the BBC's choice - as can be seen from the fact that post Olympics the BBC are reducing the scope of the Red Button services on the older platforms.
Old 12-06-2012, 15:04   #219
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

What is provided on Freeview, Sky and both Virgin platforms is the BBC's choice - as can be seen from the fact that post Olympics the BBC are reducing the scope of the Red Button services on the older platforms.
So the TiVo red button is the same as the service I have on my connected TV?
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 15:11   #220
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Probably, and that's by the BBC's design - they want their services to be consistent across as many devices as possible
Old 12-06-2012, 15:14   #221
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:

That does not negate the failure of Virgin to supply via TiVo the basic services that ( Wait for Carl to play semantics) everyone/someone/the bloke next door, & I.Have been using & expect to get. If and when the BBC change all services on Free view & the like.Then you would have a case,as it is TiVo/Virgin are not providing the services offered free to air. therefore playing at catch up. Sorry blaming everyone else really is not good enough.

I have noted that more & more I can find the programmes I like on Freeview channels Ok later but still. Virgin TiVo as a TV platform ( not a Google site / Games m/c) is to me looking weaker by the month. IT could be so much better

Pity they could have not upgraded the V+. Still its to late to worry about that any more.

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
So the TiVo red button is the same as the service I have on my connected TV?
since when ?
Old 12-06-2012, 15:17   #222
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
since when ?
Since always. The BBC News App that launched on TiVo is the same as in on Connected TVs and the Sports app will also be the same across multiple devices http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4566...droid-hands-on
Old 12-06-2012, 15:22   #223
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Probably, and that's by the BBC's design - they want their services to be consistent across as many devices as possible
But the caveat in that is its probably being done to cut costs and the upshot is at the end of it all we will probably get a watered down red button version then we had before although we will get a lots of video clips judging by early experiences so far.
Old 12-06-2012, 15:24   #224
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But the caveat in that is its probably being done to cut costs and the upshot is at the end of it all we will probably get a watered down red button version then we had before although we will get a lots of video clips judging by early experiences so far.
In the short term, it's possible that it will rely more on clips than the existing service does.

Long term though, I see no reason why it couldn't have more live streams - any existing streams the BBC run are feasable - for instance all the studio cams for the Radio channels etc and can be added to the apps much more easily and cheaply than they ever could using the broadcast streams.
Old 12-06-2012, 15:39   #225
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

When I upgraded to TiVo I did so in the full knowledge that at the time it didn't have red button. If I'd been bothered I wouldn't have upgraded, what we have now is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The BBC are really only currently bringing us f1 and euro 2012 as far as sport is concerned, and the red button as it stands is a really good companion app for both of those sports. Yes, Den, there's a lot of video clips, but there are also some really good features which accompany live broadcasts.

I first remember multiple live streams appearing on the BBC red button a few years ago with their Wimbledon coverage-only a week to wait-who's to say we won't have a nice little surprise waiting?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote