Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is Britain a Christian country?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is Britain a Christian country?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:54   #181
RizzyKing

Re: Is Britain a Christian country?

In this country this day and age being commited to any belief be it religious or ideological is not popular or easy it isn't just religion.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2014, 14:34   #182
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Im still looking for my local Jedi temple ........
So are the other 400k UK registered Jedi's!
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 14:49   #183
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Build it, and they will come.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 15:22   #184
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Think Ms Widdecombe has been debating with Dawkins and Hitchens too much. Most have moved on from those guys to a more confident secularism where the only real objections are where the religious seek special privileges or rail against accepted and proven fact as it contradicts their beliefs. Absolutely there were times when atheism was equated with being more aggressive but, you know, you get more comfortable with it as you become less of a minority if not an outright majority.

Still, her right to give her opinion. I consider it nonsense and think it echoes the 'persecution' vibe. Those used to privilege nearly always plead persecution when they perceive themselves as losing those privileges, even if they aren't actually losing them.

EDIT: That said she mentions 'quite militant secularism'. Not sure about 'militant' but largely guilty as charged - religion IMHO has absolutely no place in government any more than any other assertion of privilege due to social, economic or any other factors do. So I agree with that part and gladly admit to being a part of it. If she can't separate secularism and atheism, and it should be noted there are plenty of religious people who are enthusiastically secularist, that's her issue. The state either favouring or discriminating against people due to race, sexuality, or many other things is unacceptable, it should be exactly the same with regards to religion, hence a secular state is the best solution for all, besides those the current arrangements favour.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 16:04   #185
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Think Ms Widdecombe has been debating with Dawkins and Hitchens too much. Most have moved on from those guys to a more confident secularism where the only real objections are where the religious seek special privileges or rail against accepted and proven fact as it contradicts their beliefs. Absolutely there were times when atheism was equated with being more aggressive but, you know, you get more comfortable with it as you become less of a minority if not an outright majority.

Still, her right to give her opinion. I consider it nonsense and think it echoes the 'persecution' vibe. Those used to privilege nearly always plead persecution when they perceive themselves as losing those privileges, even if they aren't actually losing them.

EDIT: That said she mentions 'quite militant secularism'. Not sure about 'militant' but largely guilty as charged - religion IMHO has absolutely no place in government any more than any other assertion of privilege due to social, economic or any other factors do. So I agree with that part and gladly admit to being a part of it. If she can't separate secularism and atheism, and it should be noted there are plenty of religious people who are enthusiastically secularist, that's her issue. The state either favouring or discriminating against people due to race, sexuality, or many other things is unacceptable, it should be exactly the same with regards to religion, hence a secular state is the best solution for all, besides those the current arrangements favour.
QFT....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 16:24   #186
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
the temple is within you -move along now these aren't the droids your looking for
Old 11-06-2014, 16:48   #187
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
hence a secular state is the best solution for all,
Don't you mean "the best solution for those who prefer secularism"?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 17:02   #188
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
No, he means it's the best solution for all, that's why he said it. I agree with him.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Build it, and they will come.....
Some nice tax benefits from registering a charity/religion....probably why there is 180k registered charities in the UK and that doesn't count the many thousands that don't have to register for being under the 5k a year income threshold.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 17:17   #189
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
No, he means it's the best solution for all, that's why he said it. I agree with him.
So the option that heavily favours one side is best for everyone?
Old 11-06-2014, 17:18   #190
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
To be fair to me I did qualify it:

Quote:
The state either favouring or discriminating against people due to race, sexuality, or many other things is unacceptable, it should be exactly the same with regards to religion, hence a secular state is the best solution for all, besides those the current arrangements favour.
Equality in the eyes of the state is obviously the best solution for all bar those who benefit directly or indirectly from inequality.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Quote:
So the option that heavily favours one side is best for everyone?
Okay bit confused. How does separating church and state favour anyone, let alone favour them heavily?
Old 11-06-2014, 17:23   #191
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
To be fair to me I did qualify it:

Equality in the eyes of the state is obviously the best solution for all bar those who benefit directly or indirectly from inequality.
If I'm understanding this correctly, would you be in favour of the UK remaining as 'Christian' as it is as long those who do not go along with its teachings aren't discriminated on the grounds of gender, sexuality etc?

Quote:
Okay bit confused. How does separating church and state favour anyone, let alone favour them heavily?
Do you not agree it would favour New Atheists, anti-religionists etc?
Old 11-06-2014, 17:46   #192
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
If I'm understanding this correctly, would you be in favour of the UK remaining as 'Christian' as it is as long those who do not go along with its teachings aren't discriminated on the grounds of gender, sexuality etc?

Do you not agree it would favour New Atheists, anti-religionists etc?
I would like to see disestablishment.

May I ask you a question in return to frame yours - do you not agree that laws requiring equal treatment by employers, disabled access requirements, etc favour the disabled?
Old 11-06-2014, 17:50   #193
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
I would like to see disestablishment.
OK but is that a yes or a no?

Quote:
May I ask you a question in return to frame yours - do you not agree that laws requiring equal treatment by employers, disabled access requirements, etc favour the disabled?
Given how far-ranging that can be it's difficult to give a firm answer, it would depend on the situation.
Old 11-06-2014, 17:58   #194
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
OK but is that a yes or a no?

Given how far-ranging that can be it's difficult to give a firm answer, it would depend on the situation.
I want formal disestablishment of the church and the state. That we'll remain culturally Christian for the foreseeable is inevitable.

I was pretty specific in mentioning equal treatment, not preferential.

No, I don't regard a secular state per se as favouring anyone. If a state were to actively favour those without religion it would not just be secular but discriminatory. I'm every bit as opposed to that as I am establishment. Neither has a place within government.
Old 11-06-2014, 18:02   #195
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
I want formal disestablishment of the church and the state. That we'll remain culturally Christian for the foreseeable is inevitable.

I was pretty specific in mentioning equal treatment, not preferential.

No, I don't regard a secular state per se as favouring anyone. If a state were to actively favour those without religion it would not just be secular but discriminatory. I'm every bit as opposed to that as I am establishment. Neither has a place within government.
Ok now we're getting somewhere

Wanting some kind of separation for the purpose of equality for those considered traditionally disadvantaged in society is something I can see some merit in. Where problems occur is when separation is wanted "because I don't believe in/agree with it".