Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 05-01-2014, 22:37   #4141
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And there is no doubt that because of this then increasingly more customers will draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough.
Today I drawn a line in the sand I cancelled my SKY Sports subscription after 11 years and will now save about £500 pounds a year! I now going to rely on BT Sports on the XL TV pack for my sports fix

Finally I don't know when rights come up but BT do not want to fall into the trap of ESPN UK did and have no real summertime UK based Sport when the footie is off the screen!
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2014, 09:26   #4142
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
Today I drawn a line in the sand I cancelled my SKY Sports subscription after 11 years and will now save about £500 pounds a year! I now going to rely on BT Sports on the XL TV pack for my sports fix

Finally I don't know when rights come up but BT do not want to fall into the trap of ESPN UK did and have no real summertime UK based Sport when the footie is off the screen!
Aye its going to be an interesting few years. Especially when the next premier league rights come up. If BT sport manage to bag more rights i'd see no reason in continuing with sky sports myself.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 14:41   #4143
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I agree,Michael Owen is a poor pundit and BT need to find another job for him or else sack him. It isn`t just his comments that irritate me it`s his voice too that really grates on me.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 14:00   #4144
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

BSkyB and BT rivalry could provide a cash bonanza for Richard Desmond

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...5?view=desktop
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 18:15   #4145
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

News for those in the USA

Quote:
Ian Darke is replacing Martin Tyler as ESPN's lead play-by-play broadcaster for the World Cup.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...tator-21464235
Martin Tyler has been really hit and miss lately, spot on commenting on Rooney vs Cardiff btw
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 19:06   #4146
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
BSkyB and BT rivalry could provide a cash bonanza for Richard Desmond

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...5?view=desktop
This is very interesting and in my view, it would be a big leg up for BT if it were to acquire this channel. They need to develop entertainment channels to compete with Sky, and this would be a jolly good start.

A new BT channel to replace Channel 5 would have a much higher profile than Sky's Pick TV and would be an excellent showcase for any premium entertainment channels it may wish to start up on the BT platform.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:04   #4147
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

"Premier League aims to pit BSkyB against BT in early TV rights sale":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ghts-sale.html
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22   #4148
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
"Premier League aims to pit BSkyB against BT in early TV rights sale":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ghts-sale.html
Greed , greed and more greed in my humble opinion.
Old 09-01-2014, 13:33   #4149
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Absolutely I could not agree more.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:35   #4150
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

both BT and sky will pay more meaning prices up and up again as usual
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:50   #4151
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Unless of course BT play a clever game should they win the Premier League rights outright.

For example, they could sell the rights to certain matches to other TV channels and drive costs down. By showing Sky that their dominance is over, they may force them for future bids into joining with BT by pooling resources at a price BT thinks is better for the punters.

Who knows what will happen, but with more players, subscriptions don't have to keep going up. We just have to see who blinks first.
Old 09-01-2014, 14:06   #4152
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Absolutely I could not agree more.
Agreed , fans of other sports will be forced to pay more or will be completely priced out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Correct Dave , totally unfair for those fans of other sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Unless of course BT play a clever game should they win the Premier League rights outright.

For example, they could sell the rights to certain matches to other TV channels and drive costs down. By showing Sky that their dominance is over, they may force them for future bids into joining with BT by pooling resources at a price BT thinks is better for the punters.

Who knows what will happen, but with more players, subscriptions don't have to keep going up. We just have to see who blinks first.
BT and its shareholders are interested in the exact same thing BSKYB and its shareholders are , improving subscriber numbers and profits end of , they are both pay tv platforms after all
Old 09-01-2014, 15:16   #4153
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Just online to say that the Celtic game is being shown LIVE tonight from 18.25 on Premier Sports (Channel 551).
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:25   #4154
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Agreed , fans of other sports will be forced to pay more or will be completely priced out.

Correct Dave , totally unfair for those fans of other sports

BT and its shareholders are interested in the exact same thing BSKYB and its shareholders are , improving subscriber numbers and profits end of , they are both pay tv platforms after all
I think BT are playing a clever game, and it would be advisable not to underestimate them. If customers view them as 'customer orientated/friendly' (which Sky certainly are not), this could win them a lot of loyalty.

This could be the strategy that restores BT's reputation.
Old 09-01-2014, 19:46   #4155
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think BT are playing a clever game, and it would be advisable not to underestimate them. If customers view them as 'customer orientated/friendly' (which Sky certainly are not), this could win them a lot of loyalty.

This could be the strategy that restores BT's reputation.
First off Im not getting into who'll win what , frankly I couldn't careless if I'm honest , if its BT I'll switch supplier that's the beauty of choice however have you actually read what you put ? BT sell games to other channels , so their going to pay billions for football and then sell it to other channels I'm afraid that's complete fantasyland , the only games you'll see free are the few champions league ones which were part of the deal with UEFA in my opinion.