Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ski-ing and sunglasses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ski-ing and sunglasses

Old 10-02-2006, 09:48   #1
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of
Question Ski-ing and sunglasses

Have just discovered I am going ski-ing in a few weeks Never been before I was looking for some recommendations (and advice in general on ski-ing) for some good sunglasses as I have an issue with light and eyes being sensitive etc
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2006, 09:55   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Ski-ing and sunglasses

Ideally you'll have both sunglasses and goggles. You'll need goggles with a tinted lens for when it's cloudy and there is 'flat' light. Alternatively get goggles with interchangable lenses (v. expensive).

I have sensitive eyes too and use some Adidas sunglasses actually made by the people that did the visors for the Apollo spacesuits. The lens is called Space and cuts out 95% light. Try to get a frame that wraps around your face so that there's little if any light creeping in at the sides of the glasses.

altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40   #3
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
Ideally you'll have both sunglasses and goggles. You'll need goggles with a tinted lens for when it's cloudy and there is 'flat' light. Alternatively get goggles with interchangable lenses (v. expensive).

I have sensitive eyes too and use some Adidas sunglasses actually made by the people that did the visors for the Apollo spacesuits. The lens is called Space and cuts out 95% light. Try to get a frame that wraps around your face so that there's little if any light creeping in at the sides of the glasses.

got any links for those glasses?
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:55   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver_problems
got any links for those glasses?
http://www.vision3k.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1094

- scroll down for the 'space' lenses
Old 10-02-2006, 11:01   #5
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/homesite/index.asp

They don't seem to do my model any more - what a surprise!

But they still do ones with the same lens. Look for Performance Sport glasses and Space lenses.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
http://www.vision3k.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1094

- scroll down for the 'space' lenses
BLIMEY!

I thought mine were expensive at £70 when I bought them at UMIST (Dept of Opthalmics)!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:01   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Sunglasses? Pah, Sunnies are for wimps - just close your eyes and use the Force

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:04   #7
homealone

Quote:
BLIMEY!

I thought mine were expensive at £70 when I bought them at UMIST (Dept of Opthalmics)!
scary stuff, eh - the goggles are even more expensive
Old 10-02-2006, 11:07   #8
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
just close your eyes and use the Force
Come to think of it Russ, with a good sun tan, you do have the look of Samuel L Jackson
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13   #9
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic
Come to think of it Russ, with a good sun tan, you do have the look of Samuel L Jackson
More of a Yoda, I'd have thought
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:20   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

I hate to spoil the fun but snowblindness is easy to get can be really serious. The sun is very strong up there since there is little muck to get in the way and then it bounce back off the snow at you. It catches out many, supposedly experienced, mountaineers. You don't want to end up like this:

http://www.pbase.com/beamsclan/image/42047205
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24   #11
homealone

Quote:
I hate to spoil the fun but snowblindness is easy to get can be really serious. The sun is very strong up there since there is little muck to get in the way and then it bounce back off the snow at you. It catches out many, supposedly experienced, mountaineers. You don't want to end up like this:

http://www.pbase.com/beamsclan/image/42047205
ouch

the only time I ever went ski-ing I got such bad sunburn that my ears had blisters in them - luckily I did have proper goggles, so my eyes were ok, but I never expected the sun would be so strong when the temperature was below freezing.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:27   #12
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Also when skiing you need to be able to read the mountain - snow conditions, ice patches, ruts, slopes etc. You can't do this when the sun's out and you're not wearing something that cuts down on the sun, as it looks flat and white - you're practically guaranteed a gutser. It also stops your eyes watering on the fast bits - tear blindness isn't a lot of fun either (particularly when wearing contact lenses which then float off your eyeballs and blow round into your eye sockets ).

Anyway, it gives me a headache, too much sun. Last couple of years I've just worn normal sunglasses, £40 from Boots, IIRC. Worked fine. I've never been a fan of goggles, really.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:37   #13
altis
cf.mega poster

Yep, slap on factor 40 every morning and, if like me you blow your nose a lot, take a little tube to top up your nose during the day.

Oh, an opportunity to show you my latest skiing holiday (gloat)!!
http://www.warringtonbears.org.uk/lagrave/index.htm

If you don't want to spend too much then have a look round C&A and M&S. They do some good gear that is reasonably priced. If you really want to go mad then try Snow & Rock.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:22   #14
Paulie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Phone, mobile and BB V6 and Tivo Asus RT-AC68U
Paulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to all

Whaver glasses you end up choosing, make sure you shake your head about to see if they fall off. If they do, they won`t be any good to you because you will fall over a lot.

I was Mr Wipeout when i tried snowboarding and wearing specs was a `mare. Got me some Oakley`s now.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:59   #15
altis
cf.mega poster

I think this is what I've got:

http://www.gosportspex.com/AdidasSpo...sTheShield.asp

But mine seem slightly taller. Whatever, make sure you try them on and see that they fit properly.