Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 09-11-2013, 20:28   #3886
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

BT may have to do an Al Jazeera

HD 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Schedule

its a shame the broadcasting rights over here rule out 2:45pm-5:15pm broadcasts of live footy. it would be nuts if that rule was killed off.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2013, 20:30   #3887
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Looks like BT Sports and Boxnation are being linked again:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...e-8919309.html

"It is also anticipated that next year BT will challenge Sky's boxing supremacy, linking up with Frank Warren's burgeoning BoxNation, whose ex-chief executive Simon Green is now BT's head of sport."
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:42   #3888
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
BT may have to do an Al Jazeera

HD 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Schedule

its a shame the broadcasting rights over here rule out 2:45pm-5:15pm broadcasts of live footy. it would be nuts if that rule was killed off.
I personally find this rule stupid, as there are several ways to watch matches taking place during that time fame.

I get the fact it is so people go to watch the matches, but the rule doesn't apply everywhere.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

I know it ain't a big deal, but I heard ITV and BBC are fighting for the CL/EL highlight rights. People could be content with that.
Lostlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:56   #3889
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The stupid thing is, allowing matches to be televised at 3pm would mean that both the tv companies and the clubs would be forced in to working harder for our business. I wouldn't mind, but it's not even as if it really makes a difference. My club are bottom of the Premier League, I should imagine the least attractive proposition to neutral fans in the entire division, and yet today, against Everton, we played out first 3pm home kick off of the season! Being able to watch a match on the tv at 3pm on a Saturday would have kept me away from precisely one match so far this year.
Old 09-11-2013, 21:22   #3890
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
The stupid thing is, allowing matches to be televised at 3pm would mean that both the tv companies and the clubs would be forced in to working harder for our business. I wouldn't mind, but it's not even as if it really makes a difference. My club are bottom of the Premier League, I should imagine the least attractive proposition to neutral fans in the entire division, and yet today, against Everton, we played out first 3pm home kick off of the season! Being able to watch a match on the tv at 3pm on a Saturday would have kept me away from precisely one match so far this year.
I think it is designed to help those clubs in the lower leagues. If a reasonably loyal fan of Bristol Rovers, who watches many home games and who supports Liverpool as their "second team" had a choice of watching Bristol Rovers v York City while it is very cold and raining or Liverpool V Everton at 3 P.M on Sky or B.T, I think many people would stay in the comfort of their home and watch Liverpool v Everton.

This scenario would ruin many lower league teams.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 21:35   #3891
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Apparently Sky/ITV bid £720m for the CL/UEFA rights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ue-rights.html
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 21:46   #3892
harry_hitch

harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Apparently Sky/ITV bid £720m for the CL/UEFA rights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ue-rights.html
LOL, they nearly doubled their bid and still have the nerve to chastise BT for spending what they did.

The irony being Sky would have put their prices up again anyway.

Perhaps all other businesses should stop bidding and just let Sky do what they want and charge what they want. It is bound to be better to let Sky have a monopoly.
Old 09-11-2013, 22:01   #3893
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
LOL, they nearly doubled their bid and still have the nerve to chastise BT for spending what they did.

Perhaps all other businesses should stop bidding and just let Sky do what they want and charge what they want. It is bound to be better to let Sky have a monopoly.
Whats interesting in that link it says they went back to Sky to see if they wanted to up their bid, they did that in some other rights as well.

It seems like these bodies are trying to shaft BT?
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 22:15   #3894
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I think it is designed to help those clubs in the lower leagues. If a reasonably loyal fan of Bristol Rovers, who watches many home games and who supports Liverpool as their "second team" had a choice of watching Bristol Rovers v York City while it is very cold and raining or Liverpool V Everton at 3 P.M on Sky or B.T, I think many people would stay in the comfort of their home and watch Liverpool v Everton.

I understand the purpose of the rule but the opinion that it's based on dates back to the 60's, and was disputed by the European Court of Justice in 2011. In addition only Austria, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Georgia, Montenegro and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia bother to block broadcasting hours.

I guess you'd have to ask fans in, for example, Germany if their game is suffering as a result...
Old 09-11-2013, 22:15   #3895
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I get what you are saying, but for most people 3pm kick offs can be watch regardless. It would be better business for broadcasters, but probably not for the clubs. I am sure this rule won't be around much longer, as it has already been disputed recently.
Lostlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 22:18   #3896
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And for all we know there could be a clause in the current contract that allows for this.
and for all we know Atlantic will be here on Monday!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 22:52   #3897
harry_hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I understand the purpose of the rule but the opinion that it's based on dates back to the 60's, and was disputed by the European Court of Justice in 2011. In addition only Austria, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Georgia, Montenegro and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia bother to block broadcasting hours.

I guess you'd have to ask fans in, for example, Germany if their game is suffering as a result...
Germany is a very different set-up altogether though. It is successful on many different levels. I get the impression from the German league (and from various sources I have read regarding it's current state) is that it is broadly designed not to have foreign owners, put the fans first and to improve the national team first and foremost.

I do not know if the better earning clubs pay lower clubs money from their revenue or if lower clubs get compensation from TV companies for lack of fans at the grounds. I happy to be informed of the current deal regarding lower league clubs. If they survive on their own, I will be very surprised.

Over here people are told the PL is the best league in the world, it should have the best players in the world and people should pay through the nose for the privilege.

How well are the Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Swiss, Russian, Irish, Croatian, Ukranian, Polish, Danish leagues doing though? Other than Barca or RM the most of the successful players from these leagues all play abroad (with deals for players costing many millions for clubs that have to sell to survive) and not in national leagues.

As for the ECJ, well, that is just sticking it's nose in places where it does not belong. Is it really an injustice if a glory supporter in Devon can't watch Man Utd at 3 P.M?
Old 09-11-2013, 23:50   #3898
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Oh jeez, that's all we need....If I don't, someone else will. Ahem.

Rumour: BT Sport 3 to Launch on VirginMedia by Summer 2016. (Not been confirmed by insiders yet)
Stop Press : Channel confirmed as 'coming soon' as no one has heard a dicky bird about it and no official confirmation has been forthcoming so it must be happening ...errrr init.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 23:55   #3899
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

lol..I get the feeling you are anti-sky.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:00   #3900
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Does anyone know what the next big set of sporting rights are that will be up for grabs? Football and non-football?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote