Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22   #196
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
TV XL package to go up by £2 in April so what are your thoughts on it?.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-...-packages.html
Is that £2 increase on XL aswell as the TiVo increase going up to £5? Also is the TiVo £5 fee per box?
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30   #197
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
10mb is going up to 30mb that is on the VM website
Where?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15   #198
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
If they do sell Virgin Mobile UK, will they have to change their name from Virgin Media to British Cable (Branson only allowed NTL:Telewest to use the Virgin name after they agreed to buy Virgin Mobile UK off him!

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

I hope VM will improve it service after the price rise!
No they won't!

Simple fact is, Virgin Media pay a huge fee for the Virgin name and Richard Branson is one of the largest shareholders of the company, so there would be no need to get rid of the name.

Virgin.net which has been owned by NTL since 1996 and wholly owned by NTL since 2003 has been using the Virgin name and therefore cannot see what the problem would be.

Anyway if Virgin Media was to stop using the Virgin name, it will most likely go back to NTL,Telewest or even NTL Telewest.

To be honest I think a large company should take over the whole lot, a company with more money behind them to make it easier to compete with Sky.

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Where?
It depends what deal you have, I was on 10mb and through retentions they increased my speed to 20mb for an extra £1.50, I since received that advertisement about speeds doubling and it says 'We will be doing more than just doubling your speed' and it says my speed will go up to 60mb.

If you're one of them 10mb customers who have broadband as a stand alone product and are on a special discount anyway or just have 2 services with a discount, I wouldn't expect much.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25   #199
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
No they won't!

Simple fact is, Virgin Media pay a huge fee for the Virgin name and Richard Branson is one of the largest shareholders of the company, so there would be no need to get rid of the name.

Virgin.net which has been owned by NTL since 1996 and wholly owned by NTL since 2003 has been using the Virgin name and therefore cannot see what the problem would be.

Anyway if Virgin Media was to stop using the Virgin name, it will most likely go back to NTL,Telewest or even NTL Telewest.

To be honest I think a large company should take over the whole lot, a company with more money behind them to make it easier to compete with Sky.

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

It depends what deal you have, I was on 10mb and through retentions they increased my speed to 20mb for an extra £1.50, I since received that advertisement about speeds doubling and it says 'We will be doing more than just doubling your speed' and it says my speed will go up to 60mb.

If you're one of them 10mb customers who have broadband as a stand alone product and are on a special discount anyway or just have 2 services with a discount, I wouldn't expect much.
Do you mean a "large company" in th cable business, that would be Comcast in the USA

Also who do you think would by Virgin Mobile, would the be 3 or Vodaphone?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49   #200
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As announced all 10Mbit customers go to 20Mbit
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55   #201
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
As announced all 10Mbit customers go to 20Mbit
They probably misread it then, because double means double and 10+10 is not 30
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57   #202
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Is that £2 increase on XL aswell as the TiVo increase going up to £5? Also is the TiVo £5 fee per box?
It is £5 for new customers only for Tivo.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:04   #203
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
It is £5 for new customers only for Tivo.
New boxes, not new customers. So if you, as an existing customer, add another TiVo box after the end of Feb, that new box will have a £5 TiVo fee whilst your existing box(es) will keep the £3 fee
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05   #204
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Do you mean a "large company" in th cable business, that would be Comcast in the USA

Also who do you think would by Virgin Mobile, would the be 3 or Vodaphone?
Yes a large cable company like Comcast, there are many cable firms in the USA and Canada.

Possibly Cable and Wireless Worldwide as they have been recently on a spree of buying out large telecoms firms like Thus and Energis. They are always trying to find new ways to compete with larger rivals and to offer businesses complete business telecoms products. They don't seem keen on the residential side of things though after the disaster with Bulldog Broadband.

No carphone warehouse possibly because they own it in France. 3 would not be interested because for a start, many Virgin Mobile customers may be just 2G users and Richard branson will want the new owners to keep the Virgin name and possibly own a share in it just like most Virgin companies. 3 would want to use there own brand.

Vodafone would not be interested either because again they wouldn't want to associate with Virgin not after what happened in Qutar. I don't think they would be allowed to either by the competition commision, possibly Everything Everywhere could take over since they do already have some say in the company.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11   #205
Rivva
Inactive

Services: Virgin: XL TV inc V+ Box - M Phone - L Broadband.
Rivva is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
10mb is going up to 30mb that is on the VM website
I don't know about it being on the website but yes it is going up from 10-30MB as mentioned in my post #180.
Rivva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12   #206
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivva View Post
I don't know about it being on the website but yes it is going up from 10-30MB as mentioned in my post #180.
I doubt so, but it would be a good idea on the marketing side
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13   #207
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivva View Post
The retier will be from 10 > 20 because to go to 30Mbit will require a SuperHub

It may be Virgin's plan to offer a further increase from 20 > 30Mbit to those customers, but that hasn't been detailed yet
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17   #208
m419
Inactive

Quote:
The retier will be from 10 > 20 because to go to 30Mbit will require a SuperHub

It may be Virgin's plan to offer a further increase from 20 > 30Mbit to those customers, but that hasn't been detailed yet
That's what I had in mind because I know some people who still have the Motorola Surfboard modem and they are still using a USB as well which means there speed won't get very far, i've told them to use a Ethernet cable but they just won't!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18   #209
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Yes a large cable company like Comcast, there are many cable firms in the USA and Canada.

Possibly Cable and Wireless Worldwide as they have been recently on a spree of buying out large telecoms firms like Thus and Energis. They are always trying to find new ways to compete with larger rivals and to offer businesses complete business telecoms products. They don't seem keen on the residential side of things though after the disaster with Bulldog Broadband.

No carphone warehouse possibly because they own it in France. 3 would not be interested because for a start, many Virgin Mobile customers may be just 2G users and Richard branson will want the new owners to keep the Virgin name and possibly own a share in it just like most Virgin companies. 3 would want to use there own brand.

Vodafone would not be interested either because again they wouldn't want to associate with Virgin not after what happened in Qutar. I don't think they would be allowed to either by the competition commision, possibly Everything Everywhere could take over since they do already have some say in the company.
Cable and Wireless Worldwide is in financial trouble so no, but Comcast, Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications might!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24   #210
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Cable and Wireless Worldwide is in financial trouble so no, but Comcast, Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications might!
They've always been in trouble, sometimes acquiring something else and moving into a new sector and disposing of what they are doing wrong can sometimes help.