Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 04-02-2015, 22:17   #5371
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh82 View Post
Hi all, newbie here

Having browsed this forum and in particular this topic I am lead to believe that beIN Sports have tabled a bid. The reason I know this is because my brother in law works over in Doha doing some production work for Al Jazeera and they've been told they are looking to expand into the UK.
Al Jazeera's looking to expand in the UK does not mean that they're suddenly going to splash out on expensive Premier League rights. Many other options means for UK expansion are available.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2015, 01:12   #5372
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
We need sky to win as many packages as possible. If they don't or bt gain an advantage it's potenially the death for televised football in this country.

Bt sport will start charging 20-25 quid a month if they get a lot of packages. Sky being greedy and wanting to maintain share price etc won't ever decrease their subscription costs. You'd be looking at 55+ quid per month just to watch football. A huge amount on top of monthly Sky, cable bills. The average person won't be able to afford it just like they can't afford to go to matches and very gradually football in this country may start dying a death

The greed of the premier league sees this as grab as much cash as possible opportunities. But after the end of it if they look down at their hands it may not be a handful of notes they're clutching but the blood of the ancient sport

I intentionally went to overhype and dramatise it with over the top languahe haha but I think the majority of it could frighteningly true
Lol, football will never die a death. The greedy money grabbing mercenaries who come to play football over here will just have to take a pay cut if the PL loses out on some money. TV rights will always be sold, it might just be for less than the PL want. The clubs will still be here, it will mean they just have less TV money, and as I say, players will have to take a pay cut or move on. It will never dies.

Football lasted a long time before the PL came along and will last a long time after. Football was much better for the fans (and perversely clubs were better off living within their means, rather than trying to spend big just for PL TV money) before the advent of the PL and Murdoch then throwing money at it.

Real football is not all about one league that serves its purpose and its purpose only (making money and catering to the whims the whims rich sugar daddy owners). It is about local clubs being run for not only profit, but for the benefit of the local community and treating loyal people like true fans, not milking them as if they are just customers.

How can anyone justify Rooney getting paid £300,000 a week, when Cambridge United's record signing cost £190,000 and the two teams we fielded against Man Utd cost us nothing as they were loanees, academy kids or free transfers. If Cambridge can survive like this, almost any lower league club can. The sooner the PL brand dies, and we go back to it all under the FA's purview the happier I will be.

There will always be big clubs with more money and the top talent for the little clubs to take players from on loan (long may it continue), but the want for PL money involved now is causing too much financial evil for too many clubs.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 13:32   #5373
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I think the packages will be much the same as they currently are,Sky having more games than BT. However if either Sky or BT try increasing the costs to viewers I think they`l find more and more people will cancel their subs. I know I would if there was a substantial increase,or if BT Sport was removed from the xl package on virgin.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 18:54   #5374
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Premier League big winner again as TV rivals vie for live football rights.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...tv-rights-bids
Quote:
Analysts at UBS this week predicted another 45% rise in the value of the rights, to £4.38bn over three years, with Sky paying £3.3bn to retain a majority for the three seasons from 2016/17.
Well it looks like Sky are the big winners again.
Old 05-02-2015, 21:31   #5375
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I think the packages will be much the same as they currently are,Sky having more games than BT. However if either Sky or BT try increasing the costs to viewers I think they`l find more and more people will cancel their subs. I know I would if there was a substantial increase,or if BT Sport was removed from the xl package on virgin.
It may come to choosing between Sky and BT! If BT is removed from the XL package, which I fear it will in 2016. I would have to choose Sky as they have the rights for American Football for the next 5 years.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:13   #5376
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well it looks like Sky are the big winners again.
Possibly however Jeremy Darroch might be getting his excuses in early, or this is a bluff from SKY ahead of the bidding.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...k-bank-5109653

"Sky is not prepared to break the bank for the rights to top flight football, say insiders. Sky boss Jeremy Darroch yesterday suggested it was less reliant on the Premier League than before. He said: “We like the Premier League. But the whole point of the business is about broadening the offer.” That means a wider range of sports, including snatching golf’s Open Championships from the BBC, plus more of its own entertainment programmes."

SKY didn't want to break the bank for Champions League rights last year, and look what happened.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:32   #5377
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Well l hope that BT lose all of there packages. I hate that logo at the bottom of the screen.

It interrupts viewing
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:32   #5378
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Possibly however Jeremy Darroch might be getting his excuses in early, or this is a bluff from SKY ahead of the bidding.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...k-bank-5109653

"Sky is not prepared to break the bank for the rights to top flight football, say insiders. Sky boss Jeremy Darroch yesterday suggested it was less reliant on the Premier League than before. He said: “We like the Premier League. But the whole point of the business is about broadening the offer.” That means a wider range of sports, including snatching golf’s Open Championships from the BBC, plus more of its own entertainment programmes."

SKY didn't want to break the bank for Champions League rights last year, and look what happened.
As a fan of many sports, I would be very happy if they saved a boat load of money by not wasting it on excessive PL rights. If they did not get the main PL rights and dropped their price by about £10, I would happily pay for SS.

I fear it is a massive pipe dream through.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:47   #5379
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
As a fan of many sports, I would be very happy if they saved a boat load of money by not wasting it on excessive PL rights. If they did not get the main PL rights and dropped their price by about £10, I would happily pay for SS.

I agree, if they were to lose rights I don't foresee them reducing the price but can see others raising theirs making the consumer the real losers here
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56   #5380
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Sadly friend I do think it is. Sky will just run excessive adverts about other sports they have to try and justify the same price

"More darts than ever before!"
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:58   #5381
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Sadly it is Harry.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33   #5382
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
It's very hard to tell and we don't know how robust the "insiders" are. That's what makes it all the more interesting!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:45   #5383
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

we all know prices only going one way and it never be down
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51   #5384
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
we all know prices only going one way and it never be down
Lol, wouldn't be great if Sky turn round and said

"because we show less PL football here is £15 off now for each month"

More likely is

"More range of sport and best matches from around Europe all for the same price"
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:10   #5385
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
It may come to choosing between Sky and BT! If BT is removed from the XL package, which I fear it will in 2016. I would have to choose Sky as they have the rights for American Football for the next 5 years.
Ditto , I also think Sky has the better all round sporting rights.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote