Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media revamps its bundles

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media revamps its bundles

Old 04-04-2012, 15:05   #121
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media revamps its bundles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yup and the likely spread of the higher vs lower services etc. Capacity is a bit of an art I don't fully understand

But I have no issue with Virgin limiting the no-cost speed upgrades, as it's better to say no till the upgrades and leave you with working speed, rather than say yes and then have loads of 'it's not going as fast as you said'
So presumably I phone up retentions and say something like:

"Hi, I gather the nation is all now 100mb ready and have heard that you might be able to move me up to 100mb for free now" and wait for them to tell me that I will be upgraded in due course instead.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 16:37   #122
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
So presumably I phone up retentions and say something like:

"Hi, I gather the nation is all now 100mb ready and have heard that you might be able to move me up to 100mb for free now" and wait for them to tell me that I will be upgraded in due course instead.
No, you ring them up and point out that the package you are on now entitles you to 100Mb and that therefore you want it and you want it now. If VM haven't got the capacity to upgrade everyone immediately then perhaps they shouldn't have announced the new "collections" until they did. Although realistically, it is only going to be a small fraction of customers who are going to be aware enough to ask for it now.
There's the quick and there's the disappointed!
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:46   #123
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you go on Collections you get the new speeds now, because you are upgrading services and are commiting to a new minimum term contract in return.

So if you onto the VIP Collection you will get 100Mbit immediately (barring any SuperHub install if required). Same for the Premiere and Essential Collections - you will get the new download speed for the tier. The upload will then follow as part of the upgrade programme.

There is no circumstance where you should be refused a move onto a Collection due to broadband issues.

It's the retier where there is no 'quid pro quo' that are subject to the capacity checks and where you can be told no
Old 04-04-2012, 17:52   #124
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
No, you ring them up and point out that the package you are on now entitles you to 100Mb and that therefore you want it and you want it now. If VM haven't got the capacity to upgrade everyone immediately then perhaps they shouldn't have announced the new "collections" until they did. Although realistically, it is only going to be a small fraction of customers who are going to be aware enough to ask for it now.
There's the quick and there's the disappointed!
Why does the package I am on now entitle me to 100mb? You mean basically XXL 50mb now is obselete and new customers on my tier would actually be on 100mb? Ok, think I get you.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:09   #125
mr.nick
Inactive

mr.nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you go on Collections you get the new speeds now, because you are upgrading services and are commiting to a new minimum term contract in return.

So if you onto the VIP Collection you will get 100Mbit immediately (barring any SuperHub install if required). Same for the Premiere and Essential Collections - you will get the new download speed for the tier. The upload will then follow as part of the upgrade programme.

There is no circumstance where you should be refused a move onto a Collection due to broadband issues.

It's the retier where there is no 'quid pro quo' that are subject to the capacity checks and where you can be told no
I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this Ben however being told you can't get a collection package because your area doesn't offer 60Mb BB is not acceptable. I'm sure others like myself would be willing to accept staying with 50Mb for the duration if it meant getting access to the new packages.
mr.nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:33   #126
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Quote:

What do you mean by the last sentence, because I asked to be moved to the Premiere collection since it's essentially the same services I already receive, except I asked to be on Talk Unlimited and I have a V+ instead of a TiVO and they said it wasn't possible to upgrade me to 60Mb right now.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:40   #127
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
What do you mean by the last sentence, because I asked to be moved to the Premiere collection since it's essentially the same services I already receive, except I asked to be on Talk Unlimited and I have a V+ instead of a TiVO and they said it wasn't possible to upgrade me to 60Mb right now.
The
Premiere Collection only comes with TiVo, so any swap to the new speed for your tier would be subject to the capacity check because you aren't on a Collection

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nick View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this Ben however being told you can't get a collection package because your area doesn't offer 60Mb BB is not acceptable. I'm sure others like myself would be willing to accept staying with 50Mb for the duration if it meant getting access to the new packages.
You shouldn't have been told that cos it's not true. All areas can do all the speeds offered within the Collections, and going onto a Collection means you get the speed it offers.
Old 04-04-2012, 18:44   #128
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Quote:
The
Premiere Collection only comes with TiVo, so any swap to the new speed for your tier would be subject to the capacity check because you aren't on a Collection
I'm guessing there's no way to get the V+ swapped for the TiVO without spending £50 to get it installed?
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:45   #129
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
I'm guessing there's no way to get the V+ swapped for the TiVO without spending £50 to get it installed?
Nope
Old 04-04-2012, 19:37   #130
kafui
Inactive

Services: Services:Virgin Media XL Broadband,500GB TiVo box, XL TV and M Phone
kafui is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=BenMcr;35409717]The

@BenMcr is this a way of getting everybody into this new collection tiers?
kafui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:39   #131
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafui View Post
@BenMcr is this a way of getting everybody into this new collection tiers?
One of the ways yes. The other is that they are better value than customers may be paying now
Old 04-04-2012, 19:41   #132
kafui
Inactive

Services: Services:Virgin Media XL Broadband,500GB TiVo box, XL TV and M Phone
kafui is an unknown quantity at this point

@BenMcr VIP new collection states 205 channels but i could only identify 5 sports channels and 12 movie channels.Is there others am missing out???
kafui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:44   #133
mr.nick
Inactive

mr.nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

You shouldn't have been told that cos it's not true. All areas can do all the speeds offered within the Collections, and going onto a Collection means you get the speed it offers.
Well, after calling Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and also having retentions call me to say it wasn't possible, tonight I've managed to go from VIP50 to Premiere Collection.

Thanks for making things clear Ben.
mr.nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:35   #134
zeozhane
Inactive

Services: BB XXL (50), TV L, Tivo, V+ & Talk Weekends
zeozhane is an unknown quantity at this point

Today was my superhub install. I was at work and my partner was home.

After the superhub was installed he asked how long it take for XL TV to be activated.

The installer called the centre and promptly replaced my original 1TB Tivo with a new one (don't know why) and swapped my old SA V+ for a Samsung V+ box.

Seemed a bit much since the equipment needed was already there (though not complaining about the new V+ box as old one was really slow)
zeozhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:46   #135
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeozhane View Post
The installer called the centre and promptly replaced my original 1TB Tivo with a new one (don't know why) and swapped my old SA V+ for a Samsung V+ box.

)
So, you now have to set up all your series links and whishlists again. Sounds like a nightmare to me! Hope you didn't have any un viewed recordings on there.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote