Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2012, 11:47   #256
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
An interesting read echoing what you say , the Olympics can be a big selling point for pay TV also

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...murdoch-312474

This bit is interesting:
Quote:

making Sky’s satellite platform the best port of call for anyone wanting in-depth or specialized coverage plus additional timeshift recording options.
I can only think of three reasons why VM wouldn't offer linear channels, the lack of which, prevents time shift recording:

1) They don't have the capacity or there are other technical reasons.

2) They don't want to spend the money involved

3) They want to use it as a way of driving users to Tivo

All are worrying in my view; 1 and 3 in particular.

VM should do the right thing and provide linear channels.
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2012, 12:14   #257
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

1) They don't have the capacity or there are other technical reasons.

2) They don't want to spend the money involved

3) They want to use it as a way of driving users to Tivo

All are worrying in my view; 1 and 3 in particular.
Do we really want VM to spend a large amount of money in order to buy the equipment to provide us with 24 channels for a few weeks use?
Old 17-04-2012, 12:24   #258
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Do we really want VM to spend a large amount of money in order to buy the equipment to provide us with 24 channels for a few weeks use?
Virgin have, in the past, stated their intention to significantly increase the number of high definition channels on their platform. If that is the case then providing the linear, recordable, channels for the Olympics would just be making an investment that they would need to make anyway for a high definition future.

If, as Enders suggest, Sky may do well with their Olympic offerings wouldn't Virgin be making a mistake if they don't gear up for the Olympics?
Old 17-04-2012, 12:40   #259
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

IMO I do not think VM has the resources to match what Sky are able to offer their customers, but time will tell. I do hope VM are able to announce something for their non TiVo customers which are the 85% majority.
Old 17-04-2012, 12:59   #260
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
I don't think your average Virgin TV customer would really care what Virgin have to outlay to provide the 24 channels for a few weeks. I know I've never thought "Oh what has that just cost Virgin" when new TV channels have launched.

With Virgin increasing the price of all of their TV packages, most customers are waiting to see what Virgin are going to deliver over the next few months to justify the price hikes. Some of the extra revenue from price hikes could be used to carry the Olympic channels for a few weeks.

If enough TV customers want the 24 chanels, Virgin should deliver.
Old 17-04-2012, 14:04   #261
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l have made this mistake in the past Richard but every week now l check to see that the programmes we like are set to series record.
Yes i always learn by my mistakes den mate,i niow check frequently for series links and more importantly when i think of them instead of saying i will do it later and forget DOH.!

Old 17-04-2012, 15:17   #262
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Yes i always learn by my mistakes den mate,i niow check frequently for series links and more importantly when i think of them instead of saying i will do it later and forget DOH.!
Mrs Grim uses the tried and tested method. The Tivo let her down once and you don't get a second chance in the house of grim, so she buys a TV listing magazine and then sets a manual recording for each prog she wants to watch. Labourious? Maybe, but she never complains she's missed anything and as she says reading the TV magazne helps with her reading skills! Which is quite funny as she's got a degree in english literature and we've enough books in the house to make many a mobile library jealous!

Cheers

Grim
Old 17-04-2012, 15:26   #263
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Mrs Grim uses the tried and tested method. The Tivo let her down once and you don't get a second chance in the house of grim, so she buys a TV listing magazine and then sets a manual recording for each prog she wants to watch. Labourious? Maybe, but she never complains she's missed anything and as she says reading the TV magazne helps with her reading skills! Which is quite funny as she's got a degree in english literature and we've enough books in the house to make many a mobile library jealous!

Cheers

Grim
Ours comes with both the Saturday & Sunday papers. Works well for us with reminders set Do not use the TIVo at all for this sort of planning. That reminds me, really need to dust it!!
Old 17-04-2012, 16:24   #264
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Whatever works for you, of course, but I haven't regularly bought a TV listings magazine in about ten years, since I got my S1 Tivo
Old 17-04-2012, 16:37   #265
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Whatever works for you, of course, but I haven't regularly bought a TV listings magazine in about ten years, since I got my S1 Tivo
Dont "buy" them, "free" with weekend papers but I take your point. Think scanning Box would take nearly as long as looking at guide.However each to his or her own. However I have to side with Mrs Grim
Old 17-04-2012, 16:45   #266
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I don't study the EPG in depth. I know what I like, and use other sources to find other things to watch.

I have enough to watch without ploughing through a listings mags. At least this way I don't know what I'm missing
Old 17-04-2012, 16:57   #267
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I personally like the search feature on TIVO , assuming I've just seen an advert for a new show starting soon you can just tap the show name in and hey presto the info is there allowing you to set a series link certainly beats trawling through days listings on the EPG that said I also like Sky's green button feature on adverts allowing you to set a reminder for a future show or series link it , I'm afraid on this one I'm with Carl as I never use a TV mag but each to their own.
Old 17-04-2012, 17:20   #268
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
That's all very well but, unfortunately, the TiVo EPG is sometimes (often?) out of date. Other times it's just wrong. There was a recent showing of Silent Witness on BBC 1 which had been changed. This information was correct and up-to-date on my bedroom V+ but still showed the out-of-date info on my living room TiVo. Similarly, I can remember not setting a series link for the Wallander series on BBC 4 as the EPG had it down as the UK version (which I had already seen). Only later did I discover that it was the Swedish version (which I would have enjoyed had I known it was showing). These are not the only instances. Of course, the TV listings magazines are even more likely to show out-of-date listings. Top of my upgrade wish-list would be for the TiVo EPG to be at least as up-to-date as the V+ one.
Old 17-04-2012, 17:56   #269
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Coming Soon to Virgin TV

This channel was removed from Satellite and cable in 2010 wasn't it , are we struggling for news on here at the moment
It was removed by VM in around 2010 but by then the channel had already been mothballed.

In its prime it was a superb channel and had the quality which any broadcaster would be proud of. I used to watch the news broadcast most nights. However, apparently it never made any money so it's not a total surprise that it has shut down as it had effectively been closed in 2010. However, for some reason, it didn't get carriage on FV until AFTER digital switchover and I would imagine that this would have impacted on their audience and was one of the nails in their coffin.
Old 17-04-2012, 18:26   #270
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
That's all very well but, unfortunately, the TiVo EPG is sometimes (often?) out of date. Other times it's just wrong.
It is, sometimes for some channels. But the channels and programmes I watch seem to be fine. Can't remember the last time it didn't record what it was supposed to.

Before anyone spins that the wrong way, I am not excusing any error just saying that they don't affect me much.
Closed Thread