Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home Server & Wake On Lan (wol) - Apache

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Home Server & Wake On Lan (wol) - Apache

Old 04-05-2009, 22:12   #1
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road
Home Server & Wake On Lan (wol) - Apache

Would it be possible to host a website on my old pc that supports Wake On Lan feature so that i don't have to leave it on 24/7,
so it's just in standby an when somebody goes to access my site it wakes up and works normaly? then say after 20mins of being idle i set it so it goes back into standby.

the pc would only take a few seconds to be up and running from sleep, would the browser just timeout or could this work fine?

(i'd be using apache if that makes any dfference).
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2009, 22:27   #2
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: Home Server & Wake On Lan (wol) - Apache

There's no reason you couldn't do that setup, but (AFAIK) you couldn't use the web access as the WOL trigger without some intermediary. The WOL is triggered by a specifically designed packet (known as a magic packet) sent to the network card that includes the MAC of that card. The other complication is that the majority of home routers aren't particularly WOL friendly - it all boils down to what port forwarding options they use and how they deal with the ARP table I think.

If the site is to be used by a very select number of people you could give them the MAC details so they can wake the PC up themselves if it's not running, but that's about it I think.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 22:39   #3
dd11
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
There's no reason you couldn't do that setup, but (AFAIK) you couldn't use the web access as the WOL trigger without some intermediary. The WOL is triggered by a specifically designed packet (known as a magic packet) sent to the network card that includes the MAC of that card. The other complication is that the majority of home routers aren't particularly WOL friendly - it all boils down to what port forwarding options they use and how they deal with the ARP table I think.

If the site is to be used by a very select number of people you could give them the MAC details so they can wake the PC up themselves if it's not running, but that's about it I think.
oh i get you i think, So i could possibly have it set up so my domain name goes to a free hosting site where i can just have a simple page saying "enter here" or somthing like that, and that enter here link actualy sends a magic packet to my pc waking it up and directing the user to my home site...if that all makes sense? (and hoping my router is friendly enough).
Old 04-05-2009, 22:45   #4
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Hmm - I'm not sure if there is anything like the service you describe but there (partularly for free) are plenty of people on here that know more about those things.

What might be an option is if the hosting site does a forwarding but falls back to a custom 404 page unavailable message giving people details on how to wake the PC up when it can't. There are plenty of free WOL packet generators available on the internet.

Out of curiosity, how would you track the 20 minutes inactivity prior to shutdown?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 23:32   #5
dd11
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
Hmm - I'm not sure if there is anything like the service you describe but there (partularly for free) are plenty of people on here that know more about those things.

What might be an option is if the hosting site does a forwarding but falls back to a custom 404 page unavailable message giving people details on how to wake the PC up when it can't. There are plenty of free WOL packet generators available on the internet.

Out of curiosity, how would you track the 20 minutes inactivity prior to shutdown?
Yh that could be an option, i surpose the easiest thing to do (other than paying for web hosting) would be to just leavethe machine on, but its not going to see loads of visitors, at least not a one time anyway, so im concerned how much electricity it might use.

i was just going to use the power options in windows, i.e when pc is idle for however long goes to sleep/low power mode. (or find some other program to do it).
Old 05-05-2009, 00:41   #6
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

I leave my server on, it doesnt take too much power, but if you ran more than just a website on it itd be more worth it.
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 13:42   #7
dd11
Inactive

ahh, i see Callumpy, just been on it, nicely done. how much do you think it costs you in electric a month?
Old 05-05-2009, 14:50   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If it's just a web server for personal sites you'd be best off getting a hosting account with a company such as http://www.hostforweb.com/packages/index.php and paying £3/month for web hosting and £5 for 2 years for a .co.uk domain name, would work out a lot cheaper than leaving a PC switched on all the time
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:23   #9
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

How about trying to get a low consumption PSU for your server? I'm presuming the spec isn't all that high if its running Apache alone?

I haven't really looked it up so unsure of pricing etc but I'm sure this would help. TBH I don't think the electricity would be a great cost, I leave my PCs/Laptop on all day and our leccy bill isn't really any more than it would be without (maybe a fiver here and there). The biggest drain would be your monitor, so either, disconnect it, or switch it off (at the mains) unless its needed. Also, you don't have to put the PC into sleep if idle, just get it to turn the HDD off, and it will spin back up when its in use (it will save power and heat (so the noise will be less too)
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:29   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

What I'm more worried about is the time it'll take for a full wake-up including HDD spin-up, surely most web browsers will have timed out by then,,
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:51   #11
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd11 View Post
ahh, i see Callumpy, just been on it, nicely done. how much do you think it costs you in electric a month?
Cheers also im not sure how much leccy its taken but i know it hasnt been alot more than without the server or my dad would be moaning and shouting about it being on.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
What I'm more worried about is the time it'll take for a full wake-up including HDD spin-up, surely most web browsers will have timed out by then,,
And thats what i was thinking it would be better to leave it on.
Old 05-05-2009, 16:30   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

It would be expensive, but he could replace the hard drive with an SSD... No need to spin up, quiet, low power consumption and fast.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 16:49   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Now that's an idea for my server How much are the drives these days?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 18:00   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Now that's an idea for my server How much are the drives these days?
The cheapest ebuyer have is 80 gig and about £280.. http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=2&cat=4&subcat=2309
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 18:29   #15
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Not cheap then lol.

Omg, £577.49 for a 160GB