Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Google Android

Old 26-02-2011, 19:53   #91
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Google Android

I've just checked mine and if I select the layers option from the menu button and scroll down coffee is still at the bottom of the list. I'm running the latest versions as far as I know
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2011, 20:36   #92
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Yes I'm on 5.1
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 21:41   #93
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The layers displayed tend to track what you have searched for. So to get the Coffee Shop layer back, go into Places and select it there
Old 26-02-2011, 21:57   #94
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The layers displayed tend to track what you have searched for. So to get the Coffee Shop layer back, go into Places and select it there
No, these were preset layers not searched for ones. I can create a layer for coffee shops by searching but this just results in red dots as locations. The original layer gave icons for costa starbucks etc.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 22:14   #95
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Never seen that
Old 01-04-2011, 21:17   #96
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Does this seem legit?

Google abandoning android for winpho7?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04..._leaves_nokia/

I know its april fools day but it was posted at 18:52gmt

Forget it...its a fool...final comments made my mind up!
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 14:34   #97
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Indeed. How things change
[QUOTE=techguyone;35172596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Linux-based open OS for mobile phones.

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?/QUOTE]

Looks like thay can

Infact now, when I look back at the first post, it almost seerms funny.

Interestingly we may well find out in less than a year that the combo Nokia/Windows 7/8 makes a remarkable comeback again, to challenge android & IOS - watch this space.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 23:36   #98
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Nokia will have to fight hard to regain a large share of the Market.

At the moment i dont think Android has anything to worry about, i think Apple tho if they have another Iphone 4 repeat with issues with handset they may start to slip. And the fact samsung are suing Apple for patients that apple cannot get out of unless they remove the call features on their phones which would defeat the object of their phone.

Im a big Android fan, my sister was a big apple fan until she came up against the famous brick wall thats Apple Support. Her handset just kept locking up and had to be reset by apple at store twice, on the third time they changed the handset and she just lost total interest and got a HTC Desire running Android 2.3 and loves it.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27   #99
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

Nokia are still very respected for their hardware and build quality, pretty much all their critisms were software aligned. Combine that with a windows 7 interface (don't forget windows 8 has a very similar interface so it'll be very familiar) and I think you'll see that MS/Nokia are a bit of a dark horse and may well sneak back into the race.

I'm not a particular Nokia fan, but I've done a *lot* of research into the phone makers around things like reliability, build quality, component quality (this is where brands like Samsung & HTC fail). Apple I dunno, it's possible with Mr Jobs out of the picture, that history may repeat itself like the last time he wasn't around, apples star may be waning or about to. I think we'll know for sure in the next two years abut them. When their current and 'in development' projects are done.

In short MS & Nokia are definitely 2 contenders to watch closely over the next 6 - 9 months.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27   #100
Tony.
Inactive

Services: Triple XL (Phone,BB & TV) Samsung V+HD(30 meg Superhub)
Tony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud of

I think M$ may have dropped the ball with no flash support on there new OS. This has always been the area that Android has beat up IOS and now Windows 8. It is a shame that Nokia have never been able to get Symbian to work properly with touch screens and is the reason I now have an Andriod phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14949869
Tony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37   #101
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony. View Post
I think M$ may have dropped the ball with no flash support on there new OS.
It still has flash support, just not from the metro ie browser which is plugin free.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39   #102
techguyone
Deus Vult

I don't know. HTML 5 and onward means that flash and other 'plugin' type functions may not be needed, it may actually be that Flashes days are numbered.
If I were having to pay royalties for every single device that used it, I would be looking for ways to get rid of it, ala apple and now MS
Old 02-10-2011, 14:23   #103
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Nokia are still very respected for their hardware and build quality, pretty much all their critisms were software aligned. Combine that with a windows 7 interface (don't forget windows 8 has a very similar interface so it'll be very familiar) and I think you'll see that MS/Nokia are a bit of a dark horse and may well sneak back into the race.

I'm not a particular Nokia fan, but I've done a *lot* of research into the phone makers around things like reliability, build quality, component quality (this is where brands like Samsung & HTC fail). Apple I dunno, it's possible with Mr Jobs out of the picture, that history may repeat itself like the last time he wasn't around, apples star may be waning or about to. I think we'll know for sure in the next two years abut them. When their current and 'in development' projects are done.

In short MS & Nokia are definitely 2 contenders to watch closely over the next 6 - 9 months.
i totally disagree with what u have said about Samsung and HTC. My Past 4 phones have been Samsung and have all been brilliant and infact my dad is now using one of my old Samsungs the SGH-U600 and its still working like a dream. I now have a HTC Wildfire and only reason i didnt get a Samsung at the time is that the HTC was of a higher spec than the Samsungs in the range for the price i was willing to pay and its great little phone. I also have family and friends who are longtime HTC or Samsung fans if they were not of such a good build quality then im certain they would not stick to the brand.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:37   #104
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I don't know. HTML 5 and onward means that flash and other 'plugin' type functions may not be needed, it may actually be that Flashes days are numbered.
If I were having to pay royalties for every single device that used it, I would be looking for ways to get rid of it, ala apple and now MS
You don't have to pay royalties for having flash on a device.

Members of the Open Screen Project are able to distribute Adobe Flash Player 10.1 with their devices royalty free.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
i totally disagree with what u have said about Samsung and HTC. My Past 4 phones have been Samsung and have all been brilliant and infact my dad is now using one of my old Samsungs the SGH-U600 and its still working like a dream. I now have a HTC Wildfire and only reason i didnt get a Samsung at the time is that the HTC was of a higher spec than the Samsungs in the range for the price i was willing to pay and its great little phone. I also have family and friends who are longtime HTC or Samsung fans if they were not of such a good build quality then im certain they would not stick to the brand.
Exactly, one out of Samsung, HTC and Apple has recently released a phone with a fundamentally flawed design.

HTC has excellent build quality. Recent Samsung hardware has as well (although I'd admit that in the past Samsungs haven't been the greatest, these days they're damn solid), the software is where they lack a bit. The original galaxy s was plagued with issues due to the file system they chose for instance, but hardware wise you can't knock it.

Apple? Well, their excuses for their phones failing is "you're using it wrong".

Hilariously if Samsungs "component quality" fails, why is a hell of a lot of the iphone, that apparently has excellent component quality, made by Samsung?
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:45   #105
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Can anyone explain to me how Android apps don't seem as well polished as those on ios , example while the Android Sky+ app is perfectly functional it doesn't have the premium feel of the Apple version.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote