Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 14-01-2013, 13:28   #3196
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I was actually quite able to game online, even FPS games that didn't have lag compensation on a ~60ms 3G line. It's inconsistency that's the problem.
That surprises me for 3g! Will have to try that out now you mentioned it

Out of interest was it xbox gaming? Seems different games and platforms deal with latency in different ways. Virgins jitter caused a lot of warping in some games fps like QuakeLive but I only had experience of some PC titles.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2013, 17:45   #3197
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

After a few weeks of having a terrible connection like the ones just posted. At midnight last night my modem when down lost sync then came back up with 2 upstream channels

Finnally

Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 18:17   #3198
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No, it was PC gaming. Team Fortress 2. Recent (well, 2009?) OFCOM tests showed 3G had a lower average jitter than VM. Latency around my area has always been good - we were, at the time, always the first area for new tech to be rolled out, and often I get lower pings to London servers on 3G in Edinburgh than I do in central London.

With 4G I suspect latency will become on-par with VM "fibre optic" meaning mobile gaming may become indistinguishable.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:22   #3199
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
No, it was PC gaming. Team Fortress 2. Recent (well, 2009?) OFCOM tests showed 3G had a lower average jitter than VM. Latency around my area has always been good - we were, at the time, always the first area for new tech to be rolled out, and often I get lower pings to London servers on 3G in Edinburgh than I do in central London.

With 4G I suspect latency will become on-par with VM "fibre optic" meaning mobile gaming may become indistinguishable.
That wouldn't surprise me when it comes to VM and jitter lol.

Also have a feeling that more speed with mean more latency issues with 4G too.
Old 14-01-2013, 20:30   #3200
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

4G will be far lower latency than 3G.
Old 14-01-2013, 20:55   #3201
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I admit I know practically nothing about this, but how does the spectrum used affect it? As in, would the 800Mhz spectrum see a significant difference to latency compared to say the 2.6Ghz band?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:09   #3202
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

In itself, no. Underlying latency will be the same. Differing levels of congestion may affect latency in the same way different (non-bonded) channels on cable will do.
Old 14-01-2013, 22:50   #3203
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Is that going by the same principle as fibre should have better latency than adsl? These graphs have shown us that what should be a better technology is not always the case depending on how the company implements and runs it.
Old 15-01-2013, 00:11   #3204
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I know what you're getting at, but your comparison doesn't apply here. You're presumably comparing two different ISPs running two different technologies over two different networks to two different sets of customers. That would equate to comparing Vodafone 3G with O2 4G or vice versa.

To relate to 3G/4G you would have to compare graphs from the same ISP, running two different technologies, from the same exchange, over the same backhaul, to the same core network, to the same set of customers in the same location.

For example BT Infinity FTTP vs. BT Total Broadband, VM Big Red Internet vs. VM Cable/ADSL, etc. For fibre to have higher latency in either case would be extremely rare.
Old 15-01-2013, 00:37   #3205
gazza78
Inactive

gazza78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i`m new to these forums, i had virgin 30mb broadband installed in november which was fine until a few weeks ago then when playing wow online at the usual time at around 7-8pm ish i noticed major latency issues,just becoming totally unplayable and internet browsing the same not unusable just very slow,and has been everyday since,ive just started thinkbroadband monitor today and from what i`ve seen in here to compare it with i dont think its looks too good,just wanted some advice on what to do next http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...5-01-2013.html

i hope ive linked that right,im new to forums sorry if its not worked proper
gazza78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 00:48   #3206
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

That looks like a very high utilisation problem if it is mostly in the evenings. You can try virgins community forums to get it logged but don't be surprised if it takes them a few months or more to fix it, especially if you are in south london
Old 15-01-2013, 00:59   #3207
gazza78
Inactive

gazza78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply,im not in south london area i`m in Wigan area according to their website i am due a double speed upgrade at the end of feb,im not to familiar with how it all works its probably fine at the other times of the day just the time i use it dosent work which ****es me off a bit as you expect to get what you pay for.
gazza78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 10:09   #3208
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Pretty sure Wigan has quite a few over utilization problems. Keep hearing that location along with Croydon and Bristol as having issues on virgins network.
Old 15-01-2013, 14:52   #3209
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

whats happened to thinkbroadband?

Attached Images
File Type: png BLANK.PNG (247.5 KB, 66 views)
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 14:56   #3210
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
whats happened to thinkbroadband?

Good question. Notice the packet loss at about 11am as well? Plus the odd bit right where the graph "starts" at 8am. Same for my own ones.
Did their server go down, maybe?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote