Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multi access point network?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Multi access point network?

Old 15-08-2007, 13:40   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Multi access point network?

Am I right if you have multiple Wi-fi AP's with the same SSID and WPA key on the same channel windows would hop between them to maintain the best signal.

Have a homehub sitting on my desk modified to route to the lan port instead of its inbuilt adsl router (using it as my voip phone) its connected connected to an 8 port switch which is then connected to the main router via a pair of homeplug adaptors.

Now my wi-fi coverage is pretty good upstairs anyway but I was just wandering if I turned on its wireless and set the SSID/WPA to be the same as the main AP if the laptops would then hop between them to maintain the best possible signal.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2007, 13:47   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Multi access point network?

To start with, I'd use a different frequency to avoid interference. I'd also use a different SSID to avoid any confusion. Simply register the PC with both networks. I'm not sure if Windows will use the one with the best signal but, certainly, if one connection fails it will switch to the other.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 13:49   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
To start with, I'd use a different frequency to avoid interference. I'd also use a different SSID to avoid any confusion. Simply register the PC with both networks. I'm not sure if Windows will use the one with the best signal but, certainly, if one connection fails it will switch to the other.
I probably won't bother, I've seen it in hotels where they have multiple ap's with the same SSID (you don't notice theres more and one unless you use something other than the windows built in wireless config util)

I didn't know if it was just a case of windows going by the SSID and not worrying about the physcial address or if it required a special sort of hardware to do chain several together and make it appear as if its a single network...
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 15:03   #4
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I probably won't bother, I've seen it in hotels where they have multiple ap's with the same SSID (you don't notice theres more and one unless you use something other than the windows built in wireless config util)

I didn't know if it was just a case of windows going by the SSID and not worrying about the physcial address or if it required a special sort of hardware to do chain several together and make it appear as if its a single network...
I'm pretty sure you were right in your initial question. By all accounts though the wireless client in Windoze is not that clever: I beleive it switches to AP that it's getting the strongest signal from at a particular moment in time (rather than, for example, switching to the AP that has given the strongest average signal over a period of time). Therefore it tends to switch more than is either necessary or efficient and is prone to getting it's knickers in a twist while roaming between APs. That's a technical term by the way...
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 15:22   #5
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Have a read of the Wiki page on 802.11f (access point roaming).
I guess all access points would need to support 802.11f and be behind the same router. Most large corporate WLAN's will use this.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote