Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking

Old 17-04-2005, 15:02   #1
rizz
Inactive

rizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Networking

Having bought a laptop, we wanted to get that connected to the net aswell as the PC.

My dad bought a Safecom cable/dsl broadband router, everything is currently set up so that there is a cable from the set top box to the router, then two cables from the router, one going to the PC, and one to the laptop.

The problem is that I can only get the Internet on one computer at a time, not both at the same time, right now I'm on the laptop.

Would anyone be able to help me as how to set it up so that I can get the Internet on both the PC and the laptop?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2005, 15:08   #2
Andy E
Inactive

Andy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Andy E
Re: Networking

What are the ip addresses of both machines ? on start menu click on run and type cmd then click ok... and then type on the black screen" ipconfig /all " and press enter
Andy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:09   #3
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Are you sure this is router and not an ADSL modem/router? ( a model number would help us google). If so, there shouls be a port labelled 'WAN' or similar, which should be connected to the STB, and other ports (possibly labelled 'LAN') which should be connected to the PCs. The symptoms sound like you may have the STB and PCs all connected to LAN ports, so the 'router' is acting as a simple hub.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:14   #4
rizz
Inactive

This is what I am getting on the laptop.

http://img231.echo.cx/img231/9797/ipstuff4pu.jpg

edit - model is SBRU-10100
Old 17-04-2005, 15:16   #5
JohnHorb

Fits in with my theory - the laptop is getting an NTL IP address. If the router was acting as a router, you'd get an IP like 192.168.xx.yy from the router.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:22   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Here's the router: Looks like it should work ok with NTL.

You haven't (by any chance) cloned the MAC address of your Laptop onto the router have you?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:22   #7
rizz
Inactive

So how can I make it act like a router? And I guess want to share the connection?

The back of the router is like:
| wan | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

If I remember correctly, the wan id for RJ11 and the others RJ45. A cable from the set top box is going into 1, a cable to the pc is in 2, and a cable to the laptop is in 3.

edit - no idea if i've cloned it :-/
Old 17-04-2005, 15:23   #8
JohnHorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Here's the router: Looks like it should work ok with NTL.
..erm???
Old 17-04-2005, 15:23   #9
Andy E
Inactive

Andy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Andy E

Wan cable to set top box ....
Andy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:25   #10
JohnHorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizz
So how can I make it act like a router? And I guess want to share the connection?

The back of the router is like:
| wan | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

If I remember correctly, the wan id for RJ11 and the others RJ45. A cable from the set top box is going into 1, a cable to the pc is in 2, and a cable to the laptop is in 3.
That's your problem, I'm afraid. If the wan connection is RJ11, you have an ADSL modem/router which will NOT work with NTL, as cable is a different technology. You need to take it back and exchange for a ROUTER.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:29   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
..erm???
Sorry:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52897

According to the brochure the WAN port on this model is RJ45 so should be able to connect to the STB.

http://image.ebuyer.com/customer/pdf/UK/D52897.pdf

Assmuning of course that you've given us the right model number / that you've been supplied with what you asked for when you bought it.....
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:30   #12
JohnHorb

Agreed - if the WAN port is RJ45, this is the port you should connect to the STB. If it is RJ11, though, you have the wrong model.
[Edit] Sorry Raist - missed the earlier edit with the model number. As you say, this should have an RJ45 WAN port and should work.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:33   #13
rizz
Inactive

Cheers people, I guess i'd better go shout at my dad for buying the wrong thing :P