Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 28-04-2011, 21:46   #121
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Yeah I don't think the SD is as good as the SA box I had before it but that box was slow and pretty crap.

The HD is top notch I don't watch much SD this days and hope as the months and years go on I will watch very little to none....
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2011, 22:18   #122
TMLeafs
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Oomph Plus Extra Tivo (Three Total)
TMLeafs is on a distinguished roadTMLeafs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
You must have had a really really good V+ box or a low HD expectation level if you thought Sky Sport News on V+ looked HD!
Well my mates that have sky could only tell it wasn't HD due to the top right hand corner telling them its not. Last night as soon as it was put on we all noticed the blur in the side bar.
TMLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 22:25   #123
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If it really is unreadable, you've got a faulty box, cable or TV.

I've captured the attached image from the SD composite video in the SCART socket (the worst possible image quality), and it's still readable.
Thanks for that Spiderplant. I've got TiVo due to be installed Saturday and that's very encouraging given that it is a composite video signal. Only wish you hadn't made the capture when the Premier League table was displayed (my user name should give you a clue as to who I support)

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafs View Post
Well my mates that have sky could only tell it wasn't HD due to the top right hand corner telling them its not. Last night as soon as it was put on we all noticed the blur in the side bar.
Well, like I say, you must have had a magnificent V+ box. I had SkyHD up until January and there was no way that I could mistake SD SSN on V+ for the HD version on Sky.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 22:31   #124
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
Thanks for that Spiderplant. I've got TiVo due to be installed Saturday and that's very encouraging given that it is a composite video signal. Only wish you hadn't made the capture when the Premier League table was displayed (my user name should give you a clue as to who I support)

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Well, like I say, you must have had a magnificent V+ box. I had SkyHD up until January and there was no way that I could mistake SD SSN on V+ for the HD version on Sky.
SSN HD blows SSN out the water , no comparison at all.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 23:03   #125
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

WDLaserjetGLOVER is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,
Just had my Tivo installed today.
Concerned about all this talk about picture quality.
My first impression is, hard to tell.
The quality of broadcasts, on HD and SD, is so variable, it is hard to make a judgement.
So far, so good on my 50" Panasonic.
Have BBC HD on at the moment, looks good to me.
WDLaserjetGLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 23:03   #126
whoareyou
Inactive

Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
whoareyou is on a distinguished roadwhoareyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
SSN HD blows SSN out the water , no comparison at all.

Yep, Soccer Sat was on SS1HD over Easter and it looked amazing.
whoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 23:12   #127
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoareyou View Post
Yep, Soccer Sat was on SS1HD over Easter and it looked amazing.
Yep it is very good quality , dont get me wrong V+ does a good job of upscaling SSN however the HD channel is still significantly better in quality.
Old 29-04-2011, 00:05   #128
TMLeafs
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Oomph Plus Extra Tivo (Three Total)
TMLeafs is on a distinguished roadTMLeafs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yep it is very good quality , dont get me wrong V+ does a good job of upscaling SSN however the HD channel is still significantly better in quality.
Set the tivo box to 576i and set the onkyo av receiver to upscale it to 1080p looks amazing so much less noise around the text and graphics on SSN for example. So just need tivo to fix the output settings so it only sends native resolutions and my onkyo can do the upscaling and I will be happy again.

Lets hope this happens
LG OLED55BX6LB, Onkyo TX-NR656 AVR, Cambridge Audio S70 L & R, Cambridge Audio SX-70 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 22 RR RL, PSB Imagine XA Atmos, S90 Subwoofer, PS3, PS4, Tivo V6, Nvidia Shield (2017), Apple TV & Logitech Harmony Companion
TMLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 08:32   #129
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I would suggest that Sky's SD output is not the best to assess - there's long been a suspicion that Sky deliberately compromises the SD versions of its channels to increase the quality distinction of the HD variants. Sky Sports News on SD on the V+ isn't great either.
Try flipping between Film4 and Film4 HD on the TiVo; the SD / HD discrepancy is notably less than flipping between Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 1 HD.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 08:43   #130
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

To be fair though, are you really sure on the quality of film 4 hd? not all the films on there are broadcast from proper HD transfers, some of them do look like they are upscaled (very well in some cases) but not in others.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 08:49   #131
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I would suggest that Sky's SD output is not the best to assess - there's long been a suspicion that Sky deliberately compromises the SD versions of its channels to increase the quality distinction of the HD variants. Sky Sports News on SD on the V+ isn't great either.
Try flipping between Film4 and Film4 HD on the TiVo; the SD / HD discrepancy is notably less than flipping between Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 1 HD.
Sky Sports News always looked fine on my V+ , not as sharp as Sky Sports News HD on my Sky box but pretty good.
Old 29-04-2011, 09:16   #132
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I watched Avatar last night on Sky movies HD and that looked absolutely mind blowing!! By far the best thing I've seen on this TV. Even the mrs' was in awe!

As luck would have it, TiVo also recorded it for me earlier in the week so that will be my new Demo material.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 09:21   #133
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

I had TiVo installed yesterday (swapped for a V+) and I think both SD & HD pictures are stunning! (I have a 32" Sharp Aquos). The sound is a lot better too, one of the weaknesses of the SA V+ box as well
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:43   #134
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
To be fair though, are you really sure on the quality of film 4 hd? not all the films on there are broadcast from proper HD transfers, some of them do look like they are upscaled (very well in some cases) but not in others.
I did my testing with Hero the other evening which was listed as being HD, a film visually breathtaking. Looked very good on Film4 and even better on Film4HD, but the difference wasn't massive.
I then did a similar check with the football on SkySports2 and SkySports2 HD - even though I didn't think the latter's PQ was that stunning, the difference between the two was more marked than my Film4 comparison.
All subjective though, of course. I tried both 720p and 1080i settings from the Tivo: I think the latter is marginally better for HD on my set but the former gives a slightly better SD picture.
On another note, I think Rubicon on BBC4 looked sharper this week on my Freeview recording than it did on my TiVo's
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 13:10   #135
WDLaserjetGLOVER
Inactive

WDLaserjetGLOVER is an unknown quantity at this point

I am watching The Royal Wedding on BBC1 HD.
The picture, like the event, is absolutely stunning on my Tivo/ Panasonic 50" plasma.
WDLaserjetGLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote