Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How do I get Internet around the house? please help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How do I get Internet around the house? please help!

Old 11-05-2013, 23:48   #1
thickwalls
Inactive

thickwalls is an unknown quantity at this point
How do I get Internet around the house? please help!

Hi everyone...I know I'm a bit behind the times here, but I need some good advice. I live in the country, and have pretty good broadband from Sky. My house is old ...AD 1560 and has very thick walls . Need to send my internet signal around the house. Laying cables would be a nightmare, so how do I do it?. This is a big house...7 bedrooms, 5 living rooms, we have several ring mains...What do I buy?.....

All suggestions welcome
Cheers
Daz
thickwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: How do I get Internet around the house? please help!

Powerline is probably the best option for you. While early powerline adapters had trouble working across multiple rings, the new adapters don't, in my experience. In fact, doing a bit of googling, it seems that the things that cause modern adapters problems are surge protectors and transformers between the ring mains (you are unlikely to have a transformer connecting the ring mains in your house though). I am unsure if an old-style fuse box would cause a problem, however.

I live in a 3 bed semi, and only use the powerline to get a decent connection upstairs. Upstairs has an older version of http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...e/XAV5004.aspx and downstairs has an older version of http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...e/XAV5001.aspx.

I chose the netgears because I saw a few good reviews and also I could (should I need to) buy extra units individually (the others I found only seem to come in packs), which would give me freedom to expand the network without buying hardware I don't need.

to the forum. BTW!.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49   #3
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

A wifi extender maybe?
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/22112...f13=80&ff14=63
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27   #4
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Like Stuart, Powerline adapters, I have them here and used them in church over a 100M link. I bought the TPLink 500m variety from Amazon
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49   #5
thickwalls
Inactive

thickwalls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Gentlemen....

I get the idea. Cheers
Daz
thickwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 17:10   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Depends how many you wish to buy... I work in an old building with walls up to 4 foot thick. Even with commercial grade Cisco wireless access points, we still have to have one every 20 metres or so on each floor to get even a vaguely good signal. Even that amount of WAPs doesn't guarantee a good signal
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 22:12   #7
Xtinguish
Inactive

Services: 100 meg Super Hub2 4TB HD
Xtinguish is an unknown quantity at this point

I use TP Link Powerline adapters which are great but make sure they don't pass through any surge protectors.
Xtinguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 22:22   #8
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Have a look at the TP ones, they do wireless ones as well as wired homeplugs. I have one running through a surge lead and its ok. Best homeplugs I have found so far having used a Belkin and Netgear set, only upgraded Netgear for a faster set, one benefit they have it they have a switch kind of built in.

If you can run hardwired sockets which will be the overall best option but may not be easiest/cheapest.