Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | best router for my needs ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

best router for my needs ?

Old 23-08-2007, 12:57   #1
jojo3972
Inactive

jojo3972 is an unknown quantity at this point
best router for my needs ?

hiya well i have just got virgin in on 2 megs but have upgraded to 20 megs just waiting for it to upgrade, could anybody tell me wat is the best router to run 1 xbox on wired 1 on wireless 1 laptop wireless and one wired pc were the router and modem will be connected to plus has to b quite easy to install and configure lol seen a netgear one on pc world for about 50 quid also theres the linksys one which one would u recommend for my needs thnx jojoxx
jojo3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2007, 13:02   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: best router for my needs ?

You need to make sure it is capable of the WAN port speed as some only go up to 10Mb. What models did you see?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 13:03   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

I use a linksys one and never had any issues.

Both netgear and linksys are decent routers
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 13:39   #4
jojo3972
Inactive

jojo3972 is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya this is the linksys one
LINKSYS
WRT54GSUK
WIRELESS 125MBPS ROUTER WITH SPEEDBOOSTER

and this is the netgear one
NETGEAR
WGT624
WIRELESS 108MBPS ROUTER
both look quite similar in wat they do but which is best for wat i need it for jojoxx
jojo3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:47   #5
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Cool, like the sound of the speedbooster! if i was you i would go for the linksys. Ive got a d-link! see about one of them.
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 15:42   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The full benefits of speedbooster will only be felt if your PC / laptop etc has a Linksys speedbooster wireless adaptor. Otherwise, wireless may see a marginal speed change, but it would basically operate at the 54mbps "g" speeds.

The netgear shown is the "n" speed, but to achieve that wirelessly you need an "n" rated adaptor. As "n" isn't a fully agreed standard the adaptor needs to be the same make as the router to ensure compatibility, unlike "g" where any manufacturer's stuff should be compatible.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 22:02   #7
Gazza90000
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV/BB/Tele
Gazza90000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The full benefits of speedbooster will only be felt if your PC / laptop etc has a Linksys speedbooster wireless adaptor. Otherwise, wireless may see a marginal speed change, but it would basically operate at the 54mbps "g" speeds.

The netgear shown is the "n" speed, but to achieve that wirelessly you need an "n" rated adaptor. As "n" isn't a fully agreed standard the adaptor needs to be the same make as the router to ensure compatibility, unlike "g" where any manufacturer's stuff should be compatible.
True.. I have a "n" router but a an 802.11a/b/g laptop built in. So I have Netgear's Range max but do not get the benifit without buying the adaptor.. Should have bought it a the same time suppose.
Gazza90000 is offline   Reply With Quote