Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Troubled times for home networks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Troubled times for home networks

Old 22-08-2007, 15:21   #16
mbriody
Inactive

mbriody is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Troubled times for home networks

What makes that article complete nonsense is that they are suggesting wireless as a simpler solution than setting up a wired LAN!

Wireless is a superset of wired and is far more complicated for the average Joe to set up (and far less reliable).

My house has a wireless LAN (mainly for the kids's MSN) but I use wired ethernet for media streaming and Powerline for ad hoc large file transfers. Wireless is generally a PITA.
mbriody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2007, 15:25   #17
r1ch
Inactive

r1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Im not sure about this but isnt a meter a bit like a transformer with the same input voltage as the output voltage? If that was the case it would provide isolation
Not really - a standard analog household meter has two coils, one in parallel and one in series with the house (to measure voltage and current respectively) but there is no primary and secondary coil like a transformer so there is no isolation from the power source.
r1ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 17:35   #18
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
People who feel comfortable taking a computer apart sometimes forget how difficult "computer technology" is for the average person.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6949607.stm

I'm glad the Powerline option was discussed, as it is far easier to set up than a wireless network. More secure, too.
And it works... Very well infact

I get a nice stable 15ms to some of the UK gaming servers now.

Where as before when i was using wi-fi to connect I was getting a lot of jitter and packetloss despite my wlan card reporting an excellent signal.

Interestingly i always seem to get 5 -6 ms when i ping the router so it does add some latency.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 21:14   #19
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
...I get a nice stable 15ms to some of the UK gaming servers now....Interestingly i always seem to get 5 -6 ms when i ping the router so it does add some latency.
That is interesting! So if I understand correctly, you used to have a 10ms but unstable signal, and now have a 15ms but stable signal. I wonder if the extra 5ms is a function of the distance between homeplug devices?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 21:26   #20
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
That is interesting! So if I understand correctly, you used to have a 10ms but unstable signal, and now have a 15ms but stable signal. I wonder if the extra 5ms is a function of the distance between homeplug devices?
I used to get as low as 1 - 2 ms on the wireless when pinging the router but i used to get spikes of 2000ms or more or total packetloss very regularly

ive seen about 5ms to the router on the homeplugs and it sometimes goes up to about 8ms if the network is very busy but yet cs:source reports a 15ms ping to some of the UK servers, since i switched to using homeplugs i hardly ever get any Lag issues playing FPS games and when I do its usally becuase im playing on a US server.

Played the ETQW beta2 the other week for several hours with no problem what so ever

My connection goes though a wired switch then the homeplug to get to the router...

Quote:
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 33, Received = 33, Lost = 0 (0% l
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 4ms
Control-C
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote