Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 02-02-2012, 17:31   #166
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
As far as broadband is concerned, the proposed speed doubling means I'm going from my current 30mb to the cheaper 10mb product, safe in the knowledge that it'll be 20mb soon enough. There are ways to save money on your bill - most people have probably got some options that are more than they need. During the course of this discussion, for example, I've remembered that I'm still on phone XL, a product I meant to downgrade when I upgraded my mobile and got loads of extra minutes. That's about 6 or 7 quid a month saved on products I'm either not using or are surplus to what I really need, so I won't even notice that they're gone.
Good idea.. review what you need and use.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2012, 18:13   #167
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Back in 1997, the services was much cheaper

TV Max package: £15.99
Telephone line rental: £6.99
Total: £22.98

Call rates where about 4p per minute national rate and 3p per minute local rate and we had free calls to cable numbers in the same franchise locally.

Then Telewest Digital in 2002:

Supreme TV package: £17.99
Telephone line Rental: £10
Total: £27.99 without Surf Unlimited Dial up internet
Total: £38 with surf unlimited dial up internet
Total: £54 with surf unlimited and Talk unlimited
(Talk unlimited was £16 per month back then)

The XL TV package or Supreme package as it is know by Telewest customers has increased bit by bit over the years:

1997: Analogue TV Max package £15.99 Cable London price
2002: Supreme TV package £17.99
2003: Supreme TV package £18.99
2005: Supreme TV package £19.50
2006 Supreme TV package £21.50

2007 introduction of XL TV package after losing the Sky channels and Virgin Media thought Virgin Central would be a good substitute and thought £22.50 would be a reasonable price

As of 2012 it is now £24.50 or about £30 without a Virgin phone line, and there are plenty of people that have TV as a stand alone product. Those with Tivo it is £27.50, it is getting a bit steep.

I don't like the way companies make you take out bundles trying to make you spend more than you need to, the TV should be the same price even on its own!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:19   #168
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post

Call rates where about 4p per minute national rate and 3p per minute local rate and we had free calls to cable numbers in the same franchise locally.

The XL TV package or Supreme package as it is know by Telewest customers has increased bit by bit over the years:

2007 introduction of XL TV package after losing the Sky channels and Virgin Media thought Virgin Central would be a good substitute and thought £22.50 would be a reasonable price

As of 2012 it is now £24.50 or about £30 without a Virgin phone line, and there are plenty of people that have TV as a stand alone product. Those with Tivo it is £27.50, it is getting a bit steep.

I don't like the way companies make you take out bundles trying to make you spend more than you need to, the TV should be the same price even on its own!
Supreme TV was £15 in 2004 on Telewest as I remember it.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:31   #169
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post

Yes back in 1997 prices were indeed a lot cheaper but there was no digital and a lot less channels. Also no 50Mb broadband

A Mars bar was 26p around then too. Now they are 56p and smaller and thinner chocolate.
Old 02-02-2012, 18:42   #170
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yes back in 1997 prices were indeed a lot cheaper but there was no digital and a lot less channels. Also no 50Mb broadband

A Mars bar was 26p around then too. Now they are 56p and smaller and thinner chocolate.
When I start join Digital via the old Telewest network I only has 75 channels in 1999.

Back then you pick your own channel lineup.
No Radio channels bar the local ones.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:42   #171
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

I definately paid £17.99 for supreme package, been sifting through some things, unless it was different in some areas! I am refering to Digital not analogue.

Analogue was good, less +1 channels,less shopping channels and you got what you paid for.
Old 02-02-2012, 18:57   #172
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Media Boy, looks like £3.50 for me then!
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:57   #173
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
When I start join Digital via the old Telewest network I only has 75 channels in 1999.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/201...rom-april.html
Them phone prices are just suicide! Nearly 10p per minute for daytime call with a 14p connection charge!
Old 02-02-2012, 19:05   #174
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/201...rom-april.html
That link appears dead
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:06   #175
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That link appears dead
Some info I was given was not right.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:17   #176
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
At the rate VM are implementing these added features to Tivo, Sky may beat them to multiroom!

I'm a big fan of Tivo and I find VM OK as a company, but the great promises and groundbraking features spoken about by Cindy Rose a year ago, are just not happening and it's looking as if the time advantage VM had for this functionality has been lost and others will catch up or even overtake VM.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:06   #177
m419
Inactive

That phone service is the most expensive I would like to see go down in price.

Telephone line rental: £13.90
nearly 10p per minute to calls to landlines
nearly 14p connection charge on calls
10p per minute to 0845 numbers
No more billed by the second call charges

Calls to landlines from BT payphones cost to the equivalent to 2p per minute, 60p for 30 minutes which works out cheaper! you would think it would be the other way round.

Virgin Media are not the only ones either, BT is slowly catching up.

There excuse is that people are using there landlines less.

Well if so, why raise the prices? People will use them a lot less if they do that. Or how about a Voip service.

A much more reasonable tariff:

Line Rental: £10 per month
Daytime calls: 3p per minute
Evening calls: 2p per minute
Weekend calls: 1p per minute
Calls to Virgin Media landlines: Free at all times
Call connection fee: 5p
Calls to all mobile networks: 10p per minute at all times
Calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers: Same as normal landlines

Talk Unlimited: £4.95 per month
Talk Evenings and Weekends: £2.70
Talk Weekends: £1.50 for unlimited weekend calls to 01,02 and Virgin Mobile phones

Call features: £1 each

It is getting far too expensive, it will keep on going as well and eventually we will be paying £19.99 per month for line rental alone before any calls package or call costs!

You don't need a landline with Virgin Cable broadband, I am looking options to get voip and ditch the landline service when my contract is up, £13.90 is too much you don't pay that with voip!
Old 02-02-2012, 20:10   #178
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Rip off, didn't you miss the Tesco's deal this week 5 Mars bars for a £1. Poundworld were doing 7 Snickers for £1.

Suppose I'm going off topic.... (Never did like Topics, pointless chocolate bars)
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:17   #179
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

I blame VM for that....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:27   #180
Rivva
Inactive

Services: Virgin: XL TV inc V+ Box - M Phone - L Broadband.
Rivva is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just been on the phone to VM in regards to the price increase this coming April. I wanted to see if I could benefit from making a saving by altering my services in any way. The young man Mathew who I spoke to knew his job inside out and was excellent. He did his best and I was happy at the price of the new/different package he offered me. Also during the same conversation he asked me how I knew about the price increase as it was only released late yesterday. I told him I found out about it on one of the internet forums. He did however finish by saying I don't think that many will know that those who are on (10MB are being increased to 30MB) not 20 as originally advertised because I've only known about it a few hours ago. Now how true that is I don't know but he seemed genuine enough.
Rivva is offline   Reply With Quote