Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future for linear TV channels

Old 10-06-2015, 18:54   #346
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Which was exactly my point. Netflix may well be trying to make a virtue out of the fact they don't run adverts, simply because being able to say that is worth more to them than they would make if they actually sold advertising space, as their audience size is meagre.

Or they could just have been trying to quash a false rumour.

Actually, some brands are international (e.g. car manufacturers), so Netflix's world wide audience would be attractive to them for advertising.

I think that Netflix have no intention of advertising, as the 'no-adverts' is a massive part of their attraction and a great selling point.

If they ever did advertise, I think it would be a last resort, no option decision.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2015, 21:28   #347
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Just had an email from them saying the price is going up again, the 2 screen option is increasing from £6.99 to £7.49, not sure if the other ones are increasing too.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 21:50   #348
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Just had an email from them saying the price is going up again, the 2 screen option is increasing from £6.99 to £7.49, not sure if the other ones are increasing too.
Members who signed up before the last price increase, get to keep the original £5.99 price until May 2016.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:51   #349
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Members who signed up before the last price increase, get to keep the original £5.99 price until May 2016.
They charge me £6.99 and i've had the account for years. I'm guessing because i don't have the sub continuous, i stop and start it quite a bit. Not complaining as it's still dirt cheap.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25   #350
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Or they could just have been trying to quash a false rumour.

Actually, some brands are international (e.g. car manufacturers), so Netflix's world wide audience would be attractive to them for advertising.

I think that Netflix have no intention of advertising, as the 'no-adverts' is a massive part of their attraction and a great selling point.

If they ever did advertise, I think it would be a last resort, no option decision.
Very very few brands advertise in the same way across territories. Products are packaged and promoted diffreently. Production occurs in different places at different rates, necessitating diffeerent promotional approaches. Even things that ought in theory to be saleable worldwide, simultaneously, e.g. DVDs or their downloadable equivalent, arent for all sorts of reasons. In fact active steps are taken to prevent it. So no, Netflix's worldwide customer base is entirely irrelevant to the issue of whether it is worth their taking adverts. The only relevant figure is their customer base in any one territory or market.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:10   #351
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
So no, Netflix's worldwide customer base is entirely irrelevant to the issue of whether it is worth their taking adverts. The only relevant figure is their customer base in any one territory or market.
There is no reason why a company such as Ford could not come up with a global general promotional piece, and, also, modern technology would allow Netflix to insert regional variations easily and automatically.

And as far as 'any one territory', the user base for US Netflix is more than sufficient for an add campaign.

Are you sure you're not looking for hidden meanings, in what is actually, just a simple statement?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19   #352
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
There is no reason why a company such as Ford could not come up with a global general promotional piece, and, also, modern technology would allow Netflix to insert regional variations easily and automatically.

And as far as 'any one territory', the user base for US Netflix is more than sufficient for an add campaign.

Are you sure you're not looking for hidden meanings, in what is actually, just a simple statement?
I think Chris is using this argument to justify his view that linear TV is safe. He is basically saying that if all on demand and streaming services were flooded with adverts, everything would stay as it is, and I agree that it probably would in those circumstances.

However, it is not going to happen. Streaming services will continue to be funded primarily through subscriptions, and this is what will make them attractive to viewers.

Netflix has confirmed that this is the approach they will take and I don't think an argument based on the premise that they are lying is sustainable.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:24   #353
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well his view stands up to scrutiny more then your absurd view that Linear TV is suddenly going to disappear because it will still be around when l have gone the way of the dodo OB.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31   #354
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well his view stands up to scrutiny more then your absurd view that Linear TV is suddenly going to disappear because it will still be around when l have gone the way of the dodo OB.
Why is the idea absurd, Den? I have explained why viewers will be attracted away from linear TV as streaming services develop without advertising and at a reasonable subscription price. This will mean that income from advertising will decline. Why is that not a rational argument?

What is your reason for saying that linear channels will still be around in years to come? Things change over time and I know it is sometimes difficult to imagine things being different looking ahead. However, change happens.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 13:25   #355
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
TBF, I don't think OB has ever said 'suddenly'

I think Freeview linear TV will be around for a very long time and Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV are complementary to it.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV realise the attraction of add free viewing and will resist adds for as long as economically possible.

If Sport ever becomes fully freed up from a pay TV subscription, then pay TV channels may start to suffer subscription losses, but many people just want the simplicity of just 'switching on the telly' and so it will take a long time before any significant number of people abandon pay TV.
Old 11-06-2015, 15:29   #356
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
TBF, I don't think OB has ever said 'suddenly'

I think Freeview linear TV will be around for a very long time and Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV are complementary to it.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV realise the attraction of add free viewing and will resist adds for as long as economically possible.

If Sport ever becomes fully freed up from a pay TV subscription, then pay TV channels may start to suffer subscription losses, but many people just want the simplicity of just 'switching on the telly' and so it will take a long time before any significant number of people abandon pay TV.
BIB. Yup, but to be fair to OB has been banging his drum about tv in 10/20 years time. All of them will probably be advertising by then. As has been reported, Netflix are putting their prices up again and next year my bill will probably rise from £5.99/£6.99 (I can't remember the price I pay - I think its £5.99) to £7.99 next year when they probably put prices up again - I don't know if that package will even include HD. I will not pay much more for Netflix if this continues each year. I can rent the DVD's from lovefilm by post if I am desperate to watch any of their shows/films in future. Yeah, I have to wait a bit longer to see them but I am patient enough for that.

There is no way they will not be advertising in 10/20 years time. If, somehow, they choose not to advertise I imagine they will have to flog the rights of some shows to linear TV channels.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 15:42   #357
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as the football becomes available my paid tv will be cancelled and will just have a broadband line. I think there is so many other people in a similar position. Netflix and Amazon have changed how I watch TV in that I wait and watch series in bulk. I prefer it that way and with shows like GoT its nearly better to watch it that way!
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 16:25   #358
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I will not pay much more for Netflix if this continues each year. I can rent the DVD's from lovefilm by post if I am desperate to watch any of their shows/films in future. Yeah, I have to wait a bit longer to see them but I am patient enough for that.

But how do you know that Lovefilm by post won't be getting an increase in the not too distant future?

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2escape View Post
Netflix and Amazon have changed how I watch TV in that I wait and watch series in bulk. I prefer it that way and with shows like GoT its nearly better to watch it that way!
For non sports fans, Freeview plus several streaming services, is the way to go. But people lead busy lives with little spare time and having it all delivered through a single pay TV box has it's benefits. And that is why conventional delivery methods will go on for many more years.
Old 11-06-2015, 18:03   #359
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
As with so many arguments advanced in this thread, you start with the assumption that someone could change something about the (usually entirely successful) way they do things in order to accommodate a limitation of VOD.

It's pointless. People and corporations do things the way they do because they work.

Quote:

I wasn't looking at any statement. Statements are irrelevant - no company can absolutely rule out a revenue stream forever, especially not a revenue stream that is the ordinary, uncontroversial means by which most TV stations fund themselves.

Sooner or later, they will run adverts. That's a fact. The only thing stopping them doing so now is that as a marketplace for ad agencies, they are small beer indeed, and it is worth their while to make a virtue out of a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think Chris is using this argument to justify his view that linear TV is safe. He is basically saying that if all on demand and streaming services were flooded with adverts, everything would stay as it is, and I agree that it probably would in those circumstances.

However, it is not going to happen. Streaming services will continue to be funded primarily through subscriptions, and this is what will make them attractive to viewers.

Netflix has confirmed that this is the approach they will take and I don't think an argument based on the premise that they are lying is sustainable.
No pledge to remain ad-free is sustainable. Eventually it will become too tempting as a revenue stream and they will adopt it. Continuing to run without adverts will eventually make their subscription rates uncompetitive.

As for whether that makes them more or less attractive to viewers - who cares? It's irrelevant. Linear TV will not come to an end based on the success of any non-linear subscription service. Linear TV will not come to an end at any point in the next 30 years at least, and probably much longer than that, because it does a lot of things that non-linear TV, by its very nature, is incapable of doing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 19:37   #360
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
As with so many arguments advanced in this thread, you start with the assumption that someone could change something about the (usually entirely successful) way they do things in order to accommodate a limitation of VOD.

It's pointless. People and corporations do things the way they do because they work.
It seems to me that you're the one limiting things (and in a kind of patronising way). I've pointed out that it is perfectly feasible to do it. In my view, at this point in time, Netflix don't have adds because they don't want them. If they ever wanted to, they would work with the corporations to make it work successfully for both parties.

Quote:
The only thing stopping them doing so now is that as a marketplace for ad agencies, they are small beer indeed, and it is worth their while to make a virtue out of a necessity.
And that is the crux of our difference of opinion on this 'advertising' aspect of Netflix at this point in time: You believe they want to run adds, but advertisers aren't interested in them. I believe that, at this point in time, Netflix have no intention of running adds because they don't want to.