Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 12-03-2012, 20:35   #106
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Totally new to Homeplugs but want to connect Tivo and my 3D BluRay player. Will I need 4 homeplugs to get connected?
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 20:48   #107
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
Totally new to Homeplugs but want to connect Tivo and my 3D BluRay player. Will I need 4 homeplugs to get connected?
I believe you can use one of these below assuming your TIVO and Blu Ray are connected to the same TV you basically plug one homeplug in an electric socket near your router with an Ethernet into your router then the other plug near your TIVO with Ethernet from homeplug to your TIVO
this will allow you to connect more than one device however someone maybe able to verify 100%

http://www.ebuyer.com/119379-zyxel-d...91-010-083003b
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:10   #108
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Last week both my TiVos were playing up, No network connection on one and a totally black screen (not even a menu) on the other. Resets didnt give me any joy so I called faults.
They were really helpfull, got an almost working Tivo on my black screen but had no access to Ondemand etc. Line two got involved, who ever they are, and within 2 days all gone back to normal.

Odd times pictures would load on the discovery bar and could get apps on and off too. At one point tivo was flicking from My Shows to Home by itself for 30 secs or so. And all the time the green connection light remained on.

Also had this happen on one box...

Anyways, all fixed now. Just found it interesting.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I believe you can use one of these below assuming your TIVO and Blu Ray are connected to the same TV you basically plug one homeplug in an electric socket near your router with an Ethernet into your router then the other plug near your TIVO with Ethernet from homeplug to your TIVO
this will allow you to connect more than one device however someone maybe able to verify 100%

http://www.ebuyer.com/119379-zyxel-d...91-010-083003b
Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 22:10   #109
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...403&v=2046#VID

Quick video on this page to show how easy homeplugs are to setup.
Old 12-03-2012, 22:11   #110
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post

Go for a make which provides more options , one plug with a single ethernet port to connect to your router, and the other plug with multiple ethernet ports to connect your TIVO and Bluray player

I have these

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerli...-piggy-mk3.htm

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-3pe.htm
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:16   #111
jobbie8
cf.addict

Thanks all for the info, will defo get them now.
Old 13-03-2012, 02:17   #112
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

A bit late, but can verify muppetman11's advice to use a switch. It's what I use with my Solwise homeplugs. I use a cheap Edimax one, but any cheap switch should do. Have my Media Player and Freesat recorder connected to it with no problems.

Also make sure you get a Piggyback Homeplug (for mains pass-through) if you need one. Putting a Homeplug on a mains adaptor with other plugged in devices, is not recommended.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:32   #113
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

My experience with homeplugs is that they work well if the two devices to be linked are physically on the same circuit. When I had my VM broadband installed I initially tried to link my superhub and my various computers this way but as the router and the computers were not on the same circuit within my home the results were disappointing and I found I was only getting about half the speed I expected. So I took the plunge and had cat 5 cables run and now I'm getting full speed delivered to my computers. I only found out about the need to have both homeplugs on the same circuit later via various homeplg forums. They'll work on separate circuits within the home, but at reduced efficiency.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:15   #114
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

It's about time pay TV companies here got their multiroom streaming products out , I remember using this function in the US over two years ago.
Old 13-03-2012, 11:30   #115
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It's about time pay TV companies here got their multiroom streaming products out , I remember using this function in the US over two years ago.
l will echo that sentiment as well.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:40   #116
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Options for the suggestions would be good, so you can add extra time onto the recordings. If shows are running slightly late.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:48   #117
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Agreed. VM are going to need all the advantages they can muster when Sky launch fibre, and multiroom straming could be one of them, if they get their finger out.

I know they're trying to come up with a simple network connection method so that anyone can have it, but why not let those of us who know how to hook up the Tivo to a network have it now. And if they use carriage rights as an excuse, surely they've been planning this from the early planning stages of the Tivo, which ought to be long enough?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:08   #118
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
Options for the suggestions would be good, so you can add extra time onto the recordings. If shows are running slightly late.
Don't Suggestions get the default padding; ie -1/+4. (I don't know as I don't have them enabled.) No good for really late over-runs mind, of course, so the idea's fair enough.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:23   #119
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Don't Suggestions get the default padding; ie -1/+4. (I don't know as I don't have them enabled.) No good for really late over-runs mind, of course, so the idea's fair enough.
Suggestions used to have 10 mins buffer, but now they are 1- and 4+ mins
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:06   #120
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Agreed. VM are going to need all the advantages they can muster when Sky launch fibre, and multiroom straming could be one of them, if they get their finger out.

I know they're trying to come up with a simple network connection method so that anyone can have it, but why not let those of us who know how to hook up the Tivo to a network have it now. And if they use carriage rights as an excuse, surely they've been planning this from the early planning stages of the Tivo, which ought to be long enough?
I think both companies may get the product to market by late this year , however that's just my opinion.