Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 04-03-2012, 18:32   #91
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Yes, just change the series link. Although it doesn't mean it WILL be deleted, it's just if TiVo needs space it will delete.
Thanks DF, the only other time I saw the hour glass symbol was when I recovered a deleted recording!
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 18:45   #92
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Yes, just change the series link. Although it doesn't mean it WILL be deleted, it's just if TiVo needs space it will delete.
Although I'm not sure if that applies to programmes already recorded?
Old 04-03-2012, 22:16   #93
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Although I'm not sure if that applies to programmes already recorded?
You can change the keep until options of recorded shows by highlighting it in my shows, pressing OK and going from there. Early on I had a minor panic when I went into my shows one day to find most of them had acquired a hour glass logo, but managed to change them all to keep until I delete. Having said that I've since stopped bothering and haven't yet lost a show-Tivo's really good at stuff but it takes a while to learn to trust it. I'm even using express series links without any issues, although I am still hoping for an option to set my own defaults to be part of a future update.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:42   #94
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
You can change the keep until options of recorded shows by highlighting it in my shows, pressing OK and going from there. Early on I had a minor panic when I went into my shows one day to find most of them had acquired a hour glass logo, but managed to change them all to keep until I delete. Having said that I've since stopped bothering and haven't yet lost a show-Tivo's really good at stuff but it takes a while to learn to trust it. I'm even using express series links without any issues, although I am still hoping for an option to set my own defaults to be part of a future update.
I wish I could say that express series links were bulletproof, i have had a few occasions when TiVo had trouble with the new episode only option, in one case it wanted to record still every episode of BBC News Click

By the way what would have happened if I let TiVo auto delete these shows, would they have just gone into my Recently Deleted Folder that then I could have recovered manually?
Old 04-03-2012, 23:35   #95
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
I wish I could say that express series links were bulletproof, i have had a few occasions when TiVo had trouble with the new episode only option, in one case it wanted to record still every episode of BBC News Click

By the way what would have happened if I let TiVo auto delete these shows, would they have just gone into my Recently Deleted Folder that then I could have recovered manually?
The problem with CLICK is that the BBC are only providing generic metadata.

Yes they would go to the Deleted folder after they were needed for recording space. Where you could recover if needed.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:46   #96
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I have that with Click as well. I have to go into planned recordings and stop all records bar the 1st one
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:10   #97
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post

Like I say, not yet had an issue with express series links but I can certainly see how there could be, which is why I'm hoping for user definable defaults in the future. Much more of an issue than reminders as far as I'm concerned.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:29   #98
JHM
Inactive

Services: VM VIP 100 package V+ PVR TiVo PVR 3View PVR
JHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
I have that with Click as well. I have to go into planned recordings and stop all records bar the 1st one
As DF has said the BBC only send generic information so it means that TiVo will record every showing it can lay its hands on!

Many months ago I set a Manual Repeat recording for the Saturday 01.30am transmission, and fortunately they have not ever varied this time.

This way you don’t have to laboriously delete all the unwanted ones.

HTH

--John
JHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:54   #99
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Looks like TiVo and other networks are trying the VM idea?

Quote:
ONO, the largest cable operator in Spain and a leading provider of broadband communication and entertainment services, and TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for personal video recorders, today announced that following their initial launch in Madrid and Barcelona, its next generation hybrid television offering is now available to ONO fiber optic subscribers in Valencia.

For the first time, ONO fiber optic customers in Valencia can now access high-definition (HD) and 3D video content as well as a digital video recording (DVR) and all through the TiVo experience. In addition, ONO offers these TiVo customers thousands of hours of broadband-delivered on demand video. As a result, even more ONO customers are able to enjoy the most advanced hybrid television services available in Spain.

Fernando Meco, Marketing TV Director, ONO, explained, "Since the launch of our TiVo offering in Madrid and Barcelona we have seen an incredible response from customers that have embraced this new world of on demand and Internet-delivered content. We are thrilled to expand the TiVo solution to even more of our customers, building on ONO's promise to provide best in class products and services thanks to our fiber optic network."

Joshua Danovitz, VP & General Manager, International, TiVo Inc., added, "Through the combination of ONO's industry-leading broadband network, extensive television library and the TiVo HD DVR, ONO customers are now enjoying a hybrid television experience that is second to none, and will forever change the way they think of television."
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ono-an...20120302-00319
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:25   #100
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

For Connected TV, The New Last Mile Is Dining Room To Living Room

Quote:
Last week, I lambasted Virgin Media for taking two years to launch its iPad TV guide for its TiVo (NSDQ: TIVO) set-top box. I have since learned the app has been ready for months; it was submitted to and approved by Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) months ago. But Virgin Media is choosing to sit on it as it considers how to tackle a problem that will soon be shared by fellow connected TV operators…

For Virgin’s iPad app - which lets users switch channels and record shows from their sofa - to work, customers’ set-top box and iPad must be on the same home network. The problem - unlike iPad, Virgin Media’s TiVo is not WiFi-enabled.

That means customers keen to use the new wave of second screen controllers must run cable from their WiFi router to their set-top box. In many cases, like my own, consumers’ routers are not in the same room as their main TV.

And that poses a big challenge to operators - how can Virgin Media launch its fancy new app experience when it knows it will instantly disappoint thousands of consumers who can’t use it? And how does the company manage requests from customers who want its engineers to relocate their WiFi router or run extra cabling?

I discovered this issue first-hand last week. The social TV startup Zeebox’s app also includes an EPG and controller that already works with internet TVs and Virgin’s own TiVo box. But, for weeks, I tried and failed to get the two talking.

It was only in conversation with Zeebox product head Morten Eidal that I realised a cable must be run from router to set-top box. Zeebox has since improved its user documentation to make the fact more clear. And Virgin Media itself will need to approach the same challenge.
http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419...o-living-room/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:33   #101
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I am lucky, as I have the VM hub a couple of feet away from the TiVo - another option is to use PowerLine connectors.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:42   #102
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I had thought that VM may offer powerline adapters to extend the range of the network to the TiVo.

I have a couple of them and thats how my TiVo in the living room is connected. Bedroom TiVo is right next to the router so there was no issue there.
Old 12-03-2012, 16:54   #103
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I am lucky, as I have the VM hub a couple of feet away from the TiVo
Likewise, as I also have my 3D Bluray player, NAS Drive and Desktop all connected to it.

Wireless router upstairs used as a bridge to connect to the Superhub which streams from the NAS (and hopefully the TiVo shortly!)
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:08   #104
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I had thought that VM may offer powerline adapters to extend the range of the network to the TiVo.

I have a couple of them and thats how my TiVo in the living room is connected. Bedroom TiVo is right next to the router so there was no issue there.
Homeplugs are brilliant and user friendly I have my Sky+HD multiroom connected up with them and Anytime+ works a treat and so will the shared planner when launched. I use these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-P...1571971&sr=8-1
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:25   #105
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

They should have thought about that really before not asking Cisco to include Wi-fi in the Tivo boxes. Its not like Wi-fi chips cost a lot of money.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote