Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 16-01-2012, 06:58   #946
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post
It would be nice to see Virgin lobby the govt to allow the laying of fibre of cable on cobbled/bricked roads and to just tarmac over the trench instead of having to re-cobble/brick assuming you get consent of the residents on the road that you are digging on. This would allow virgin to roll out cable to alot more customers.
Thety have to reinstate anything they dig up to an as good condition if not better, especially pavements and cobbled roads as otherwise they would receive large fines and bills from the council for reinstating them and the council inspectors are very thorough as they want to fine and bill them if at all possible.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2012, 07:37   #947
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

can anyone help me, i've got one of these emails but was thinking of upgrading the package to include tivo and 2 extra boxes (rather than the 1 extra i have now) and was going to go on the VIP 50 deal now would i still get the speed upgrade if i moved package?
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:19   #948
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
can anyone help me, i've got one of these emails but was thinking of upgrading the package to include tivo and 2 extra boxes (rather than the 1 extra i have now) and was going to go on the VIP 50 deal now would i still get the speed upgrade if i moved package?
Whatever package you go onto will be automatically upgraded for free some time over the next 18 months.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:21   #949
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Thety have to reinstate anything they dig up to an as good condition if not better, especially pavements and cobbled roads as otherwise they would receive large fines and bills from the council for reinstating them and the council inspectors are very thorough as they want to fine and bill them if at all possible.
i realise this, thats why virgin should lobby the govt so that if the residents of the road are happy for the area that would be dug up to lay fibre to be tarmac'd then that should be allowed to happen, the council shouldn't have any say as they don't live on that road. Alot of people in britain would love cable and aren't bothered by a 30cm or so wide tarmac line on their pavement where the cable/fibre goes under.
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 10:24   #950
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
i realise this, thats why virgin should lobby the govt so that if the residents of the road are happy for the area that would be dug up to lay fibre to be tarmac'd then that should be allowed to happen, the council shouldn't have any say as they don't live on that road. Alot of people in britain would love cable and aren't bothered by a 30cm or so wide tarmac line on their pavement where the cable/fibre goes under.
It would cost billions and anywhere that has pavement or cobbles has to be reinstated as tarmac would never be suitable.
Old 16-01-2012, 11:33   #951
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

i'm not saying upgrade all of britain lol, just where commercially viable and where customers have asked for cable. Why wouldn't bricked/cobbles roads be suitable? surely you just lay the optical fibre on a pipe and then fill in the hole tarmac?
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 11:44   #952
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
i'm not saying upgrade all of britain lol, just where commercially viable and where customers have asked for cable. Why wouldn't bricked/cobbles roads be suitable? surely you just lay the optical fibre on a pipe and then fill in the hole tarmac?
If they do it in the roads, why shouldn't Virgin be allowed to do that at customers properties. Much easier for them then relaying a block paved driveway.

I'm sure all those customers would much prefer to have a strip of tarmac down their drive

Old 16-01-2012, 12:06   #953
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It would be nice to see Virgin lobby the govt to allow the laying of fibre of cable on cobbled/bricked roads and to just tarmac over the trench instead of having to re-cobble/brick assuming you get consent of the residents on the road that you are digging on. This would allow virgin to roll out cable to alot more customers.
Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Quote:
the council shouldn't have any say as they don't live on that road.
The council are responsible for mainaining the public highway.

Bitmac reinstatement to a modular surface wouldn't be suitable for several reasons, including the lack of a uniform leading edge, and a uniform surface.

The bitmac on the surface and around the edges would break away, water would get in the joints and as soon as winter comes the frost would break the bitmac up.

So no it wouldn't work.
Old 16-01-2012, 12:45   #954
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
For one, I think you underestimate just how many people would prefer to keep their cobbles than have superfast broadband - I mean, didn't you hear about how much grief BT got just for putting some green cabinets on the streets? never mind digging them up and laying Tarmac on top of them.

Plus, there's plenty of areas that are commercially viable for Virgin to roll out on that don't require dealing with cobbles - Virgin has several reasons for not really rolling out much atm.
I'm hoping these major upgrades are a precursor to some major expansion, but we'll see what happens.

Also, I'm dropping the "free or not free" debate as I was simply pointing out that one person's definition of "free" is not the same as another's. I think I've made that point and there's little sense going around in circles about it. Perhaps I'm just cynical but there you go!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:55   #955
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
BTW, what have BT done recently? I don't recall them offering their entire customer base double speed.
A friend of mine has BT broadband. They called him up over Christmas and offered Infinity for the same monthly charge as he was paying for ADSL. He lept at it and they installed it just before New Year.

The call centre girl was clear that she couldn't say it was "free", just the same price as he was already paying.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:04   #956
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
The call centre girl was clear that she couldn't say it was "free", just the same price as he was already paying.
Still though a different product and probably a brand new contract locking him in for another year. Hardly free at all.. Totally different to this scenario where there's no new contract.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:09   #957
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post

Also, I'm dropping the "free or not free" debate as I was simply pointing out that one person's definition of "free" is not the same as another's. I think I've made that point and there's little sense going around in circles about it. Perhaps I'm just cynical but there you go!
This has nothing to do with you by the way.

But when people answer comments about the free issue some clown comes along and post utter drivel and they know who I mean as I expect do many others.

What is even more strange they do not post about the other people posting similar comments, now if that seems odd to you does it not make you wonder what kind of agenda they are on.
Old 16-01-2012, 13:29   #958
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If they do it in the roads, why shouldn't Virgin be allowed to do that at customers properties. Much easier for them then relaying a block paved driveway.

I'm sure all those customers would much prefer to have a strip of tarmac down their drive

Or across the lawn....
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:22   #959
Nicosia
Inactive

Nicosia is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Kymmy I did not find this thread before.

So what I understand is that the updates will be automatically? but if I want to upgrade now to 50 some one has to come to my house?
Nicosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:39   #960
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't think it would be allowed because of aesthetic and historical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
For one, I think you underestimate just how many people would prefer to keep their cobbles than have superfast broadband - I mean, didn't you hear about how much grief BT got just for putting some green cabinets on the streets? never mind digging them up and laying Tarmac on top of them.

Plus, there's plenty of areas that are commercially viable for Virgin to roll out on that don't require dealing with cobbles - Virgin has several reasons for not really rolling out much atm.
I'm hoping these major upgrades are a precursor to some major expansion, but we'll see what happens.

I think that's a reasonable analysis and a sensible decision
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote